Essential Oils For Indoor Gardens

Allen42

So I’m just making a quick thread to start some discussion... so I’m moving out of a tent and into a large room. There will be Pros and cons to both but the biggest worry I have is openly inviting insects into my grow. I am going to utilize a plethora of deterring methods. The obvious ones will be spider stick sheets up above, fly/gnat sticky lines, rat traps/poison... as for then unconventional methods, I will be playing music in the grow room 24/7 as I believe this will deter any mice from coming near the area if they think they hear voices..idk if that will work or not, I’ve never had a rodent problem before but better to be safe then sorry... also I hear Cannabis likes Beethoven and Mozart... or maybe some Jimi or Ozzy? :headbanger:
Now for the real experiment, I will be using a heavy duty humidifier that has the option of adding essential oils to the humidifier air... Fir those who don’t know essential oils are just the terpenes found in naturally occurring plants, and these oils not only deter insects but also promotes healthy vigorous plant growth. For this run I will be mainly using the following:

Peppermint- works well against ants, aphids, flies, gnats, and it is a naturally occurring fungicidal properties so it could help prevent different forms of fungus.

Sandalwood- This is a great oil to add to plants that are currently going through a hard time. Using this will reinforce the branches of your plants making them sturdier and able to hold up more weight. This is also great for ridding your garden of the dreaded two spot spider mite and the oil alone will kill this spiders eggs.

Tea Tree- This oil has powerful anti fungal properties, and is great for deterring powdery mildews.

Eucalyptus- Being one of the best fit deterring all insects.

Orange Oil- This not an aroma therapy oil, this is what I use to completely kill any infestation of insects of any kind. It’s 100% organic and will not harm you or plants. This is a mixture you would spray directly on the effected plant. This was taught to me by an old school grower and it works AMAZING.

Now I would like to note, that this is not something you want to go overboard with... use as little of the essential oils as possible. You don’t need much to deter insects away, and at a point there is most likely such a thing as too much oils in the air. This is something I’m going to utilize but doing so very sparingly.. I’m not trying to come up with the answer to keeping bugs out of my room I’m simply just making it as difficult and uninhabitable of an environment as possible for bugs... lots of air circulation is good for this too. Thanks for reading guys. :)

... as for then unconventional methods, I will be playing music in the grow room 24/7 as I believe this will deter any mice from coming near the area if they think they hear voices..idk if that will work or not, I’ve never had a rodent problem before but better to be safe then sorry... also I hear Cannabis likes Beethoven and Mozart... or maybe some Jimi or Ozzy? :headbanger:
I have heard of the use of TV or radio to deter mice and small rodents before.

There was an article in the Maximum Yield magazine on the playing of different music styles in the grow room and any effect that each style would have on growth. The magazine issue was from 2018 if memory serves.

I was rather disappointed in one of their results. They said that rock was not as beneficial as classical music like Beethoven or Mozart. Though what was done in their experiment was play the music all day so I figured that an hour or two of classic rock might just be the best compromise. That way I was joining the rock music and the classical music together, aka "classic rock".;) I let the plants listen to some Jimi, some Doors and often nothing but classic rock from the mid 60s to no later than the early 70s. A personal favorite is the song "Georgie Girl".

If I can remember to dig through a box of magazine in the back room I will look for the issue of the magazine and find the issue date. Maybe someone has the issue handy.

Now for the real experiment, I will be using a heavy duty humidifier that has the option of adding essential oils to the humidifier air... Fir those who don’t know essential oils are just the terpenes found in naturally occurring plants, and these oils not only deter insects but also promotes healthy vigorous plant growth.
I find this part of your experiment fascinating. If you have no insect or pest problem after a year how will we know if it is because of the essential oils or because the pests never made it indoors to begin with? Update the reports every now and then and let us know if the area stays pest free. Maybe someone else who has a mite or other small insect problem and needs to increase the humidity can try this and let us know if it helps reduce the problem.

It sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

I have heard of the use of TV or radio to deter mice and small rodents before.

There was an article in the Maximum Yield magazine on the playing of different music styles in the grow room and any effect that each style would have on growth. The magazine issue was from 2018 if memory serves.

I was rather disappointed in one of their results. They said that rock was not as beneficial as classical music like Beethoven or Mozart. Though what was done in their experiment was play the music all day so I figured that an hour or two of classic rock might just be the best compromise. That way I was joining the rock music and the classical music together, aka "classic rock".;) I let the plants listen to some Jimi, some Doors and often nothing but classic rock from the mid 60s to no later than the early 70s. A personal favorite is the song "Georgie Girl".

If I can remember to dig through a box of magazine in the back room I will look for the issue of the magazine and find the issue date. Maybe someone has the issue handy.

I find this part of your experiment fascinating. If you have no insect or pest problem after a year how will we know if it is because of the essential oils or because the pests never made it indoors to begin with? Update the reports every now and then and let us know if the area stays pest free. Maybe someone else who has a mite or other small insect problem and needs to increase the humidity can try this and let us know if it helps reduce the problem.

It sounds like a fun project. Good luck.
Yes I’ve heard the same about the classical music... something about the vibrations emitted from the piano that stimulated root growth. ( that’s off memory so don’t quote me) lol but I agree.. my girls will be jamming to some funky tunes.. mainly Jimi Hendrix, and a lot of Bob Marley. Lol So as far as knowing whether it works or not, I guess we will only know if it doesn’t work! Haha.. but in reality during the summer, I do get a gnat problem and the oils should work the same on gnats that it does spiders, so that will be the test... or we can assume if a year goes by with zero bugs that its working so well we can’t even tell if it’s because of the oils or not. Lol In combination with this I will be using another interesting item, I came across when buying gnat and spider stick strips. This little device is used as a deterrent for all insects but especially spiders. You plug it into the wall and it constantly lets out a very high pitch frequency sound (we can’t hear it) as well as an electromagnetic wave signal sent throughout the room. The spiders can’t stand this and will vacate the premises immediately to get away from the sound and the electromagnetic pulses. It has 3 different settings on it, 1 for deterring, 2 for ridding an already lightly infected room, or and the 3rd setting is designed for gardens that already have heavy mite infestation. I believe with all these deterrents in place, I will be the only one bugging my plants. Lol

This is the ultrasonic wave emitter, along with some stickers that are fragranced to deter insects as well. Lol know I don’t need all this stuff but I thought it was neat and hey you never know... might just use it... like placing a sticker on the side of each bucket wouldn’t be a bad idea. Let know if you guys have any questions, thanks for reading. :)

@Momma’s Kitchen Hey this the is thread I will be updating as I go through this experiment and thought you’d like to tag along. :) I’ve been looking into Venus fly traps as well, there only 10$ at my nursery but there may be some downsides to having one in the room. I’m still researching that topic so I’ll let you know when I found out... but if it’s possible I’m putting one in there for sure .. just because it would be cool to have. Haha

@Momma’s Kitchen Hey this the is thread I will be updating as I go through this experiment and thought you’d like to tag along. :) I’ve been looking into Venus fly traps as well, there only 10$ at my nursery but there may be some downsides to having one in the room. I’m still researching that topic so I’ll let you know when I found out... but if it’s possible I’m putting one in there for sure .. just because it would be cool to have. Haha

Yes I am in!!! Thanks for posting to me :420: :green_heart:

No or
Yes I am in!!! Thanks for posting to me :420: :green_heart:
no problem! I’m hoping we can all learn some new tricks. I am not afraid to experiment and I have a couple other theories I want to test. Lol So we’re gonna have some fun on this thread.:passitleft:

Upon further research it seems as long as you obtain 100% organic/natural essential oils there is absolutely ZERO chance of the oils harming your plant. There have been studies conducted and they would mix do a ratio mix of oil to water and spray it directly on the plants that were mite infested with no ill side effects reported. Simply diffusing some oil in the air or leaving oil out in an opened glass jar should work wonders as an insect repellent. Excited to put this theory to use, I will be finishing my newly built room today and will start Poppin beans tonight! So excited

Upon further research it seems as long as you obtain 100% organic/natural essential oils there is absolutely ZERO chance of the oils harming your plant. There have been studies conducted and they would mix do a ratio mix of oil to water and spray it directly on the plants that were mite infested with no ill side effects reported. Simply diffusing some oil in the air or leaving oil out in an opened glass jar should work wonders as an insect repellent. Excited to put this theory to use, I will be finishing my newly built room today and will start Poppin beans tonight! So excited

fabulous!
Good luck on your new room :slide:

fabulous!
Good luck on your new room :slide:
Thanks mom... wow that sounds weird to say lmao, I will be starting a journal for it. Maybe I’ll see you stop in at some point.

Thanks mom... wow that sounds weird to say lmao, I will be starting a journal for it. Maybe I’ll see you stop in at some point.

I get alot of "Moms"...but I love it :love:
I will for sure jump in for the show. I got ya!

Back
Top Bottom