Ethylene Gas

AgedMaster

Ive been getting a strong grass smell lights off ive had it every grow is this good or bad. I only get it during flower I found a article about it here's what the article says. I also only new the name of the gas because of a post on here from 2021 but not much was said about it could someone tell me a little more about this gas and if the article is correct. @BeanTownFan420 u answered the thread from 2021 do u no anything about this gas and if this article is correct my plants also don't suffer anything bad from it

Ethylene (C2H4 )​

Ethylene gas has many interesting aspects, both positive and negative. Little data exists regarding cannabis and ethylene gas, but application or buildup of the gas in most plant-growth stages can be detrimental. It can inhibit growth, maturation, and cannabinoid and essential oil production.

Ethylene is a hydrocarbon. It is a colorless, flammable gas with a slight sweet and musty odor at elevated levels, and is widely used in the chemical industry. Ethylene is a natural plant hormone used in agriculture to force the ripening of fruits. It is present in trace amounts throughout a plant’s life, stimulating or regulating the ripening of fruit, the opening of flowers and the abscission (shedding) of leaves.

Ethylene production also can be induced by a variety of external influences, such as physical wounding, environmental stress and certain chemicals (including auxin). Environmental influences such as excessive or under watering, extreme temperatures (both hot and cold), pest and disease/pathogen attack can induce ethylene production. When plants are over watered, roots suffer from a lack of oxygen and become stressed, inducing the plant to produce ethylene. Many growers also have found out the hard way that carbon dioxide burners and the exhaust fumes from inefficient greenhouse heaters can raise the ethylene concentration to 0.05 ppm, causing delay in flowering of commercial crops.

Here is a list of responses plants can have to ethylene:

1. Stimulates seedling triple response, thickening and shortening of hypocotyl with pronounced apical hook
  2. Stimulates arabidopsis hypocotyl elongation
  3. Stimulates leaf and flower senescence (aging)
  4. Stimulates senescence of mature xylem cells in preparation for plant use
  5. Induces leaf abscission (shedding)
  6. Induces seed germination
  7. Induces root hair growth, increasing the efficiency of water and mineral absorption
  8. Induces growth of adventitious roots during flooding
  9. Stimulates fruit ripening
  10. Induces a climacteric rise in respiration in some fruit/plants, which causes a release of additional ethylene
  11. Affects gravitropism (the direction in which stems and roots grow)
  12. Inhibits stem growth, and stimulates stem and cell broadening and lateral branch growth outside of seedling stage
  13. Interferes with auxin transport (with high auxin concentrations)
  14. Inhibits shoot growth and stomata closing
Plants can be induced to flower either by treatment with ethylene gas in the chamber or by placing a banana peel next to a plant in an enclosed area.

is this part true also could u make a autoflower flower with a banana peel I also think its high co2 what is causing the smell would smoking in the same room as plants increase co2 or decrease it. @NickHardy I see u use co2 do u also use hps or led and if u do do u smell a grass smell lights off in veg and flower or in flower or not at all

@Wastei could u answer the question what is it good or bad ive searched the web but can't find nothing but that above. the grass smell drives me mad it stinks my whole flat out im on ground floor all ive seen on the web when searching grass smell lights off is people guessing. beantownfan is the only person ive found that named the smell surely people no more. ignore the part about forcing auto to flower it was a stupid question all I had to do was google it

@Wastei could u answer the question what is it good or bad ive searched the web but can't find nothing but that above. the grass smell drives me mad it stinks my whole flat out im on ground floor all ive seen on the web when searching grass smell lights off is people guessing. beantownfan is the only person ive found that named the smell surely people no more. ignore the part about forcing auto to flower it was a stupid question all I had to do was google it
You had me at bananas! You can't force the plant to smell a certain way outside of their genetic pool. I usually use 3x Carbon filters in my grows to manage the smell. One going out from the tent, usually another sitting on the floor in the tent in flower just circulating the air inside the tent. Then another outside of the tent.

If you have space you could have one filter in push position (outside of the tent) and at the other end pull (inside the tent) so you have filters in both ends and one exhaust fan in the middle. Easily done with a HID grow but harder with the new Strip LED's covering a whole 4x4". Then you could add a single fan and carbon filter outside of the tent. That removes most but not everything in a very loud grow.

Then you have plant growth regulators both natural and synthetic. Tiacontanol is natural and shortens flower and prolongs it depending on the dosage and frequency being used. The most common commercial product used as ethylene supplement is Ethephon that creates ethylene in the plants tissues and inhibits male expression.

Do you enjoy the medium sized yellow meat bananas in Thailand @NickHardy? The ones we have at the stores are sad and lame in comparison! :(

Only one I can unequivocally confirm is that unripe tomatoes in a fruit bowl of bananas will ripen more quickly
My plants are always most odorous after watering and shortly after lights out
Ethylene would have to be in very high concentration to affect a plant's growth I would think

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but if you are just getting worried about the smell wafting an ionizer is a good low cost helper, mine runs at 22w with built in carbon/hepa filters so I leave it on thru the night
The ionizer takes odour out and the filters take out a surprising amount of other shit

I don't know what other answer to give you dude. You can't force the plant to smell a certain way outside of their genetic pool. I usually use 3x Carbon filters in my grows to manage the smell. One going out from the tent, usually another sitting on the floor in the tent in flower just circulating the air in the tent. Then one outside of the tent.

If you have space you could have one filter in push position (outside of the tent) and at the other end pull (inside the tent) so you have filters in both ends and one exhaust fan in the middle. Then a single fan and carbon filter outside of the tent. That removes most but not everything in a very loud grow.
So its normal they smell dank about 30 mins after lights go off its just the initial lights off period i am sure it has something to do with the environment my friend don't use a filter and grows with HPS but he don't get the smell I have a carbon filter just not what goes around it its been in a shed collecting dust it was covered in webs

Only one I can unequivocally confirm is that unripe tomatoes in a fruit bowl of bananas will ripen more quickly
My plants are always most odorous after watering and shortly after lights out
Ethylene would have to be in very high concentration to affect a plant's growth I would think

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but if you are just getting worried about the smell wafting an ionizer is a good low cost helper, mine runs at 22w with built in carbon/hepa filters so I leave it on thru the night
The ionizer takes odour out and the filters take out a surprising amount of other shit
I will take a look at he filters u mention thanks pal here are my plants there autos the plant bottom right of photo is a different strain to the other 3
IMG_20230820_130121 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20230820_130116 - Copy.jpg

I always get a green gassy smell from the plants the second the lights go out during flower.
It must be normal if multiple people are saying my friend did only grow small plants the other used a huge filter blowing outside he was on top floor flat
Plants do not even need light to grow they know this now. What they can do is simply provide the plant with the chemicals it makes during photosynthesis and it will grow in the dark or zero light. And one photon is enough for photosynthesis to occur.
Ive noticed a lot of growth happens when lights go out my tent is also about 10 years old I put the wrong corners on and split the top corner theres also a tear on the front ive had to tape it I am lucky i am growing autos. I got a tent off my neighbour but it had mildew on it so I never used it I was thinking about sowing my tent I was going to halve my 4x4 and grow smaller plants as u suggested i am going to top with 6 nodes i can throw a sheet over it then. I have people turning up all the time I have to hide my plants and take tent down the bloke was about 3 ft away from my plants. I had a closet in my bedroom a friend built when I moved back in I forgot what was in there and the gas man looked in there for my boiler I had chains hanging from ceiling and a pile of leaves in the corner he said nothing luckily

Which means moon light must produce photosythesis but does not interrupt the flowering process. Which leaves questions about flowering and what really causes it. Is it simply chemical changes or is light involved it maybe either or both. Could be environmental also maybe multiple factors apply.
Hormone levels. They are always making flowering hormones that have to build up to a certain level. The lights on turns off hormone production. When you flip and allow extended darkness, you are allowing hormone levels to build up to levels sufficient for flowering to be triggered.
As for the moon triggering them, Dr. Bugby says it is a threshold. Like a literal photon count that triggers them. That can vary by cultivar. That's why flowering times can start for different plants at different times outdoors. Once the hormones build up, poof, flowers. When we keep them vegging we are denying them that which they are constantly trying to do. We just say not today!

What about autos how do they build hormone levels does Dr bugby research autos
It is the ruderalis genes. Rudis evolved near or above the arctic circle. The sun never goes down in the summer. The mechanism that turns off hormone production is switched off in the ruderalis lineage. So levels rise uncontrollably from the moment the bean pops. I've only ever run autos once, years ago when I was a baby gardener. Didn't understand the process at all at that point. Less than stellar results lol.

It is the ruderalis genes. Rudis evolved near or above the arctic circle. The sun never goes down in the summer. The mechanism that turns off hormone production is switched off in the ruderalis lineage. So levels rise uncontrollably from the moment the bean pops. I've only ever run autos once, years ago when I was a baby gardener. Didn't understand the process at all at that point. Less than stellar results lol.
Thank you for the knowledge much appreciated

My pleasure. Did you happen to see the post about ethylene making fem seeds? I had no idea!
No I haven't I will take a look I have a seed that I found I found 2 I grew one last time and it hermied I don't no the strain but I would like to grow it again if I can get female seeds from the seed i have that would be nice it only took 7 weeks to flower. I thought it was a fast flower but I flipped before it was mature enough and it never flowered until it was mature I never new I had to wait for photoperiod to mature before flip as I had only grown clones but I got sick of the same strain now I grow whatever I want' Here is the strain I would like to keep I only found a couple of dead seeds because of the fast flowering time.
Guava 3.jpg
Guava.jpg
Unkown Strain.jpg

IMG_20230528_191542 - Copy.jpg

Plants do not even need light to grow they know this now. What they can do is simply provide the plant with the chemicals it makes during photosynthesis and it will grow in the dark or zero light. And one photon is enough for photosynthesis to occur.
Capture.PNG
Interesting article.....
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/one-photon-photosynthesis-light

The early experiments were done with a photosynthetic bacteria and the group doing the experimenting believe that plant photosynthesis will be the same. It does take one particle to start the reaction but the article mentions that plants will still need additional light particles to continue the process.

From the article:
"Plants and bacteria use different processes for photosynthesis, but the initial steps are similar enough that in plants, too, a single photon would set off the initial steps, Fleming says. However, in plants, multiple independently absorbed photons are needed in order to complete the reaction."

Good find on this article.

Back
Top Bottom