Exhaust / Intake questions!

Beezy

I Recently madee a cabinet,measurements, 2x2x5. I put the cabinet together and it's quite fine, Except I have about an Inch gap at the front top, and back top. I have a feeling I can easily incoorperate these somehow, not such a big problem. Cabinet is nice though. Anyways..

My cabinet is going in a closet. I have a few options on exhaust / intake. But im so lost because I dont know what would be best..

Do you think I could get a fan like this.
IM000134.JPG

I would essentially "suck" the hot air from the cabinet, with the fan sitting on a shelf blowing the air out.. I will be using a glass barrier, and only growing one plant. I will be using a 300w cfl, and then the cfl and a 250w hps when flowering.

I could also place the cabinet to the left of my closet, and run duct through the wall, and into my room for exhaust.. I would put up a bookcase to hide the hole... And as for the cold air coming into the closet when the closet doors are closed. Im clueless.

Thanks for taking the time and reading this!

That fan looks like it could suck a golf ball through a garden hose! You might need it tho. A 300W cfl AND a 250HPS in 20 cubic feet of cabinet is going to get hot.

If you vent into your room have you thought about odor control? I doubt the closet doors are airtight unless you make them so so intake shouldn't be a big problem unless you're sucking too much air.

IMHO I think that fan is over-kill and you might be better off with a four inch fan from Radio Shack. The ones that look like computer fans but use 120V. They're fairly quiet too.

Lots of luck. The good kind of course. :peace:

That fan looks like it could suck a golf ball through a garden hose! You might need it tho. A 300W cfl AND a 250HPS in 20 cubic feet of cabinet is going to get hot.

If you vent into your room have you thought about odor control? I doubt the closet doors are airtight unless you make them so so intake shouldn't be a big problem unless you're sucking too much air.

IMHO I think that fan is over-kill and you might be better off with a four inch fan from Radio Shack. The ones that look like computer fans but use 120V. They're fairly quiet too.

Lots of luck. The good kind of course. :peace:

See when I add ducting, It will deminish the cfm a good bit, and I have a feeling it'll be quite perfect.. It has 3 speed controls,
Low - 1282 cfm
med - 1746 cfm
high - 2181 cfm

And when I throw the carbon scrubb in, I think we'll be sitting right.

I Have to exhaust the hot air that the stanley blower would be sucking in, And I have a tall bookcase, and I was thinking about making the stanley blower fan really close to the wall, put some duct on it, and cut a hole in the wall and run it through... (This would reduce on the amount of duct I use, which means more airflow)..ANd cover the hole up with the bookcase.. But theres got to be an easier way.. I live in an apt. so help me out!!!!

So esseintially, the hot airflow would go like this

Stanley intake----->Stanley blower----->Out of my room into a scrubber

That make sense?

HELP!

See when I add ducting, It will deminish the cfm a good bit, and I have a feeling it'll be quite perfect.. It has 3 speed controls,
Low - 1282 cfm
med - 1746 cfm
high - 2181 cfm

And when I throw the carbon scrubb in, I think we'll be sitting right.

I Have to exhaust the hot air that the stanley blower would be sucking in, And I have a tall bookcase, and I was thinking about making the stanley blower fan really close to the wall, put some duct on it, and cut a hole in the wall and run it through... (This would reduce on the amount of duct I use, which means more airflow)..ANd cover the hole up with the bookcase.. But theres got to be an easier way.. I live in an apt. so help me out!!!!

So esseintially, the hot airflow would go like this

Stanley intake----->Stanley blower----->Out of my room into a scrubber

That make sense?

HELP!

I'm probably not the best guy to give advise but I still think that that fan is major over-kill. Even with the short run of ducting and a carbon scrubber it's going to be moving way too much air. Your plant will go through water like crazy and it will likely sound like a hurricane.

You've only got 20 cf of space to evacuate so at it's lowest setting with restrictions it's going to move around 500 cfm. That's 25 exchanges of air/min!

I would drop the HPS and get some 2700K, 23W CFLs for flowering. In fact you could drop the 300W CFL as well and use 6500K, 23W CFLs for veg and switch to the 2700K for budding. This would reduce heat and let you use a much smaller fan. Your cabinet is tall enough to mount 4' fluorescents vertically in the corners and with a few 23W CFLs you would have tons of light for one plant.

Years ago I tore apart a few shop light fixtures, mounted the bulbs on one side of a piece of plywood, the ballasts on the other and hung the whole thing from the ceiling in my grow room in the garage. Six tubes all together over two tubs with 12 plants. It vegged the plants nicely then I moved them into a flowering area with a 400W HPS. You could do much the same but place the tubes in the corners and the ballasts on the back of the cabinet.

That fan would be too much for my current room and I've got 350 cf.

I don't know what else to tell you but I think you've got more light than you need = too much heat = need for larger fan = too much air flow = too much noise = lack of stealth = neighbours noticing = knock on the door from the MAN.

I know a lot of folks grow in an apartment but I would never try it. I live in the country, own my own home and can do much anything I damn well please. Like I needed a new burning barrel and needed to put some holes in it. So I get my 12 gauge and some 00 buck-shot and proceed to blast the hell out of it. I could have used a pick axe but it was a lot more fun shooting the hell out of it. lol My neighbours could hear it but they couldn't care less. As long as they don't hear pellets bouncing off their roof they won't say squat.

If anyone else has an opinion on this subject please pipe up and put in your 2 cents worth 'cause I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Good luck Beezy and I hope it's all worth it in the end.

:peace: Dude

I'm probably not the best guy to give advise but I still think that that fan is major over-kill. Even with the short run of ducting and a carbon scrubber it's going to be moving way too much air. Your plant will go through water like crazy and it will likely sound like a hurricane.

You've only got 20 cf of space to evacuate so at it's lowest setting with restrictions it's going to move around 500 cfm. That's 25 exchanges of air/min!

I would drop the HPS and get some 2700K, 23W CFLs for flowering. In fact you could drop the 300W CFL as well and use 6500K, 23W CFLs for veg and switch to the 2700K for budding. This would reduce heat and let you use a much smaller fan. Your cabinet is tall enough to mount 4' fluorescents vertically in the corners and with a few 23W CFLs you would have tons of light for one plant.

Years ago I tore apart a few shop light fixtures, mounted the bulbs on one side of a piece of plywood, the ballasts on the other and hung the whole thing from the ceiling in my grow room in the garage. Six tubes all together over two tubs with 12 plants. It vegged the plants nicely then I moved them into a flowering area with a 400W HPS. You could do much the same but place the tubes in the corners and the ballasts on the back of the cabinet.

That fan would be too much for my current room and I've got 350 cf.

I don't know what else to tell you but I think you've got more light than you need = too much heat = need for larger fan = too much air flow = too much noise = lack of stealth = neighbours noticing = knock on the door from the MAN.

I know a lot of folks grow in an apartment but I would never try it. I live in the country, own my own home and can do much anything I damn well please. Like I needed a new burning barrel and needed to put some holes in it. So I get my 12 gauge and some 00 buck-shot and proceed to blast the hell out of it. I could have used a pick axe but it was a lot more fun shooting the hell out of it. lol My neighbours could hear it but they couldn't care less. As long as they don't hear pellets bouncing off their roof they won't say squat.

If anyone else has an opinion on this subject please pipe up and put in your 2 cents worth 'cause I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Good luck Beezy and I hope it's all worth it in the end.

:peace: Dude

I purchased a cfl that is equivelant to a 300w incandescent bulb. I think its 2700k or w/e. It uses 65 watts. And a carbon scrubber and some duct restrics airlow more than ya think man.. From what I've been reading.. And that fan is fairly quiet from what I hear bro! Its not much for the $$. I kinda already baught the cfl, not the hps yet! This fan complication is bothering me.

I purchased a cfl that is equivelant to a 300w incandescent bulb. I think its 2700k or w/e. It uses 65 watts. And a carbon scrubber and some duct restrics airlow more than ya think man.. From what I've been reading.. And that fan is fairly quiet from what I hear bro! Its not much for the $$. I kinda already baught the cfl, not the hps yet! This fan complication is bothering me.

If it is 2700K it's best for budding, add a couple of 23W 6500K to get some more blue for your veg.

We're talking one plant here. Let's not get nuts over it.

If you think my advise is crap then call BS and lets be done with it.

I'm telling you that that fan at the CFM you quoted to me is way too much for a 20 cf cabinet. Now that I know your 300W CFL is only a 65Wer I'll tell you again.

That fan is way over-kill for your cabinet. You just need a draught passing through your cabinet not a freakin' hurricane.

Read my bio. I have a diploma in Environmental Chemistry that included a lot of fluid dynamics and physics. So if you think my ball-park calculations about your air flow dynamics are way off the mark.

:peace: Brother :peace:

Oh yeah, before I hit the sack. I gather you've never run this fan or probably never seen it operate.

I don't know the particular model but it's a squirrel cage fan with 5" openings choked down to 4" on the inlet side. Industrial type manufactured for short term, portable use. No easy way to mount to a fixture or wall and at the CFM quoted, noisy as hell.

Just my humble opinion of course. I've never seen that particular fan either. Just a lot of his relatives.

dude i cant stop laughing at the hurricane joke, idk why, and im not even high lol

Ok bro,
Labrat is reallly really dead on with what he's telling you. Generally you want to be able to move the air in your room about 3 times per minute.
If you're room is 20 cf.. a 4" suncoast fan or a 6" suncoast(170 cfm), would be way plenty. That heavy duty hurricane industrial blower/fan would probably suck all the air and any loose soil as well right out the room. It really doesnt make sense in any way or form to have that fan in your grow room.
wayyyyyyy tooo much power for one plant. Not to mention your fan shouldn't consume more electricity than your actual grow lights lol, even on low that thing has to burn 300/400watts

i still cant stop laughing lmao

I actually misread the cfm. The lowest setting is at about 300 cfm.

And i was no where near stating you were wrong.. that we were just misunderstood. I never claimed to be the smart one haha im completely new to this.

Back
Top Bottom