Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

Man. You never cease to amaze-ballz me. I am amaze-balled!
You truly are a dude's, dude...dude.

Great job.

I'm betting 950 micromoles at 12". Bet placed.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well bro, I did some open room (large open non reflective) are umol testing on it today. I think I'm going to do it again in my 2x2' tent. That will make a huge difference. With the spray of light that comes out of the light not concentrated with at least a reflector the numbers are pretty low even at 75W. I added a 90 degree reflector and numbers shot way way up. I think in a tent (actual growing area) is where I need to test these.
In an open room the light pretty much just lights up the whole 12'x12' room lol. In a tent I'll get better readings with actual reflection.
Do you know where I can find reflectors for Vero 29's?

Nevermind on the reflectors in my last post. I found out that they will work perfectly with the 90 degree Angelinas I have. I just had to get the adapters. I found and bought them. Part number C13584_CLAMP-VERO29 if anyone's wondering.

Ya those are the ones that work. Angelina but they're $9 each at arrow unless you buy 60 pcs. Then they're $3

I bough 200 of the 1338 Angelina WX ones a while back. Got them for like $2.50 each that way :thumb:.
Ive since sold many of them but kept plenty for myself.

I bough the adapters at Future electronics $0.74 each

Damn. That's a good deal.

Yeah but that bill hurt bad lol. All that money just for reflectors. I actually did pretty good on it though because I was able to sell like 80 of them for $6.50 each.

I'm going to start using my 27"X27" tent for 1 plant at a time for the sole purpose of making feminized seeds slowly for every strain of seed I have in stock. I have like 50 strains from Herbies so it's gonna take a while. I just planted 2 Auto Dark Devils to start out with. Should get huge numbers of auto dark devil fem seeds from it.

I'm getting ready to start an array for that tent. I'm thinking 5X 3590's in there lmao...5 chips in 27"X27" will let me run them at 28 watts per chip @ 0.7 amps for a ppfd of 825 while running only 115 Watts!!! Crazy and over 60% efficient.

Hey Fanleaf! Really enjoying and soaking up your knowledge! I wanted to ask if I should use reflectors in my grow tent. I plan on a 8 or 9 cob build in a 3x3. Leaning on the 8cob to avoid a possible hot spot in the center. If I run them at 50w each would I even get a hotspot? Thanks.

Hey Fanleaf! Really enjoying and soaking up your knowledge! I wanted to ask if I should use reflectors in my grow tent. I plan on a 8 or 9 cob build in a 3x3. Leaning on the 8cob to avoid a possible hot spot in the center. If I run them at 50w each would I even get a hotspot? Thanks.

Funny I just came upstairs from my 25 chip array and making adjustments then I read this. In my 4.5X 4' grow area I was thinking that using the reflectors only on the outside chips by the walls and removing all of the reflectors in the center approx 12-15 of them that would give me more even coverage and probably increase par. I'm running my lights really low power at about 28 watts per chip. All 25 of them and my canopy is about 10" off the chips. My par across the area swept from 1 side to the other was about 980. I tried to find a spot that would hit 1000 but it just wasnt there. I figured what the heck, I'm going to throw the reflectors on all the center chips and test par again. Wouldn't you know it, about 1020 all the way across the area. Very consistent. Reflectors back on all chips and staying!

Starting to like these COBs more and more....need to sell my body just to afford them

Pat's Mars Hydro II 700W Grow

Pat's Small CFL Grow

Hey there Pat.
I know, the expense is up there. I fully understand that. There are pro's and cons to cobs. Here's what I can come up with.

Pro's
Way more usable (par) light with less power then ANYTHING out there. (IF BUILT TO DO SO)
Cooler temps so it's easier to control when hot outside.
The only lights that can yield 2 grams per watt
NO MORE DAMN BLURPLE! I hate it. Taking pictures is easier and so is seeing any issues with the plants.
The most even coverage you could imagine. My par levels from one wall to the other vary no more than 50
Way deeper penetration. If you look back several pages at my par results on the huge array you can see even at 40" its plenty!
You get to build it and learn. That gives you pride in your light and what it grows.
There's more. That's just off the top of my head.

Cons:
Cost.
That's it. Cost.

Now, there are a million different configurations and chips and drivers and color temps. You can build a cob array that will grow fine but not save much if any on power if done cheaply or wrong. There are many folks that have their own (this is best) ideas. The chips I like to use ARE NOT CHEAP and nobody likes that but I look at it this way. They have stayed the most expensive for a reason. I don't know the reason for a fact but I believe that they are still the best for the buck. I hear so many times "This new $15-$20 chip is now the king". Shortly to be proven wrong. It would be nice if it were true, and many of them chips are just fine and grow great plants but when I build a light I build with 2 things in mind, efficiency and result! It costs more, oh boy it costs more, but I know I did it right and theres no question in my mind of if I skimped out. And that goes from the chip, heatsink, driver and all.

The best tip I could give is 1 chip per square foot! That's where you will pay for your light now but it will pay you back later. Otherwise your driving them harder and being less efficient.

I had Thousands of dollars worth of 3w blurple LED panels made by a company nobody is allowed to mention here. High dollar stuff though. I made my first COB panel and eBay the 3w panels went.

Definitely the cost brother. I have seen some pretty amazing results with these lights, if you going to do it the first time better be right, besides I wouldn't need a big array as I only grow for myself. I have a small 700 mars panel but I have seen a 250w COB setup basically beat this panel, LoL kinda regretting buying that first and not looking around more. Ah I guess time will come where I could afford such a setup. What do you rate for the timber lights brother?

Pat's Small CFL Grow

Definitely the cost brother. I have seen some pretty amazing results with these lights, if you going to do it the first time better be right, besides I wouldn't need a big array as I only grow for myself. I have a small 700 mars panel but I have seen a 250w COB setup basically beat this panel, LoL kinda regretting buying that first and not looking around more. Ah I guess time will come where I could afford such a setup. What do you rate for the timber lights brother?

Pat's Small CFL Grow

The timber kits are amazing. They skimp on nothing! What size is your grow area?

Back
Top Bottom