Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

Fanleaf

Where did you find the watt meters you used in your control panel. I loved seeing a DIY light with that sort of precision control. Are these fairly easy for anyone to purchase in small quantities without a large price hit?

I'll send you a PM on the meters. Yes, everything can be bought in smaller quantities. The price will be the same either way but just more shipping in more shipments.

So this is what the array looks like at 35.5W per chip. That's 33.18 watts per square foot.
room69.JPG

And here it is at 48.8 watts per chip and 45.6 watts per sq ft.
48wperchip.JPG

Hey Fanleaf, what version you have? Mine is from 8/21/16 and still not working

Updated java and stuff. Maybe a antivirus tool issue? Naah... I dont know

Hey Fanleaf, what version you have? Mine is from 8/21/16 and still not working

Updated java and stuff. Maybe a antivirus tool issue? Naah... I dont know
Same date. Maybe antivirus.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I have two tools from the same guy. The citi led calc not working and the one you used. The second is working. But the citi is working at Man O Green. I dunno man

I have two tools from the same guy. The citi led calc not working and the one you used. The second is working. But the citi is working at Man O Green. I dunno man
Mine has cree and citi and b.l. in the same tool. Vero 29.2 is the latest though even though the tool says updated 2016

Yes this one is working on my pc. What a neat tool. Wish my cobs were in there.
420-magazine-mobile793923011.jpg

At 700mA the Clu1212 hits the 50 percent efficiency mark. The 3070 is at 55 at that low amperage.

Maybe i find a chip in there to calculate my rig. I guess i will end up about 60k Lumen and way too much PPFD for my tiny canopy

Wow! Your journals are amazing. And this light is going to kick some serious ass!

Thanks much for the PM on the Watt Meter information. Would have PM'd you back, but not able to yet. Guess I better start participating in some of these blogs I follow along with to get my post count up. Again, thanks much.

So this is what the array looks like at 35.5W per chip. That's 33.18 watts per square foot.
room69.JPG

And here it is at 48.8 watts per chip and 45.6 watts per sq ft.
48wperchip.JPG

61.5% efficiency!!
Now that is absolutely incredible. I believe the next closest grow light non LED is the newest double ended hps and after reflector losses it's about 41% efficient at the very most.

Thanks very much for stopping in. Is there a place where we can see the light you have going on as well? I would love to see it. And yes , I absolutely love using the UV. I tried some of the other bulbs that I seen and wasn't very impressed to be honest but those particular bulbs I showed the picture of are incredibly powerful. And yes the difference is very obvious. Especially if you do what I did and doubt their power and leave them on the plans a little too long. It started stressing my plants in just a few days which is what you want but not too much. I am definitely sold on the use of UV.

The link on to my current journal is New Room - New Lights - New Strain - Organic - Super Soil - DIY COB Setup . I have been dragging my feet a bit but should have the third light done this coming week. I currently have two lights with 10 cobs each. I think Ill just add to them so I have (2) lights with 15 cobs each ( 3 rows 5 long). I am in super soil right now and use a few additives. I'm digging your controller.. I have potentiometers but haven't set them up yet.

I would like to run the uv lights as well and I think I may throw them in the last two weeks or so of flower. do you just run them for 15 minutes or so an hour?

The link on to my current journal is New Room - New Lights - New Strain - Organic - Super Soil - DIY COB Setup . I have been dragging my feet a bit but should have the third light done this coming week. I currently have two lights with 10 cobs each. I think Ill just add to them so I have (2) lights with 15 cobs each ( 3 rows 5 long). I am in super soil right now and use a few additives. I'm digging your controller.. I have potentiometers but haven't set them up yet.

I would like to run the uv lights as well and I think I may throw them in the last two weeks or so of flower. do you just run them for 15 minutes or so an hour?

How long I run them depends on what bulbs they are exactly. I tried a few others that I had to let run for 1 hour on 2 hours off 1 hour on. However the UV bulbs shown in this thread are FAR FAR more powerful in the UVB area. I found 15 minutes on 1.5 hours off 15 minutes on is all I needed. For a total of 30 minutes per day was enough. If I run them for 30-45 minutes on per time the plants just start showing too much stress in only a few days.

By the way...VERY nice job on your room. I did the same thing recently a journal or 2 back.

Hey fan odd question...
how many cobs do your have running across all your grows?

I know of 87 so far lol

I guess its safe to say that i could take the same 600 to 1000 watts i use in my 1 tent for lighting
split that between 3 tents and get the same if not better results multiplied by 3 tents?

My biggest worry is always drawing attention from power usage...

But im dying to expand!

Hey fan odd question...
how many cobs do your have running across all your grows?

I know of 87 so far lol

I guess its safe to say that i could take the same 600 to 1000 watts i use in my 1 tent for lighting
split that between 3 tents and get the same if not better results multiplied by 3 tents?

But im dying to expand!

At the moment Im running 67 of them but Im not quite done yet. Im actually building a few more smaller arrays. Right now Im in the middle of taking my old round MARS UFO round 100w unit and converting it to a single high powered COB for vegging in a smaller area. Im going to post that whole project here too along with a few others. Heres a sample of the project. I will be breaking it down in steps with many pictures and details later.
420-magazine-mobile2062086341.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2017200778.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1581628558.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2050568.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1911662186.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1628691758.jpg

Ill be cleaning everything up more when I officially do the project on the thread. Ive been tossing that light around for 2yrs now. Its not scratched up just filthy. I spilled nutes on it a few times..
This will be a single veg/ bloom cob adjustable from 0-100 true watts.

This is a pretty cheap project that will be better than a MARS 300w when done.

But im dying to expand!

They are power savers for sure. When you take into account small true canopy coverage area ( not the very exaggerated canopy area they advertise) but true canopy coverage with good par and lossy drivers and inefficient 3 and 5w led chips I would guess 25-35% less power to cover the canopy much more evenly. Its almost unbelievable to see anyone hit 0.9-1 gram per watt with Mars while if built right the right cob chip and build can hit 1.8-2 grams per watt. But to do that the right cob chip and stuff must be used. They are not cheap to build but very very well worth it in the long run. And fun and a learning experience for most people.

Fanman, for someone who isn't worried about power consumption and planned to run them full blast (50W) per COB, in a 4x4 would you suggest a 12 COB panel or would you go the extra mile and still do a 16 COB array?

Back
Top Bottom