Feeding: dry amendments vs water soluble

LaCaNNabica

420 Member
Hi there!
This is my first post after introducing myself. Organic outdoor grower in North California with 2 mayor questions.

1). Im getting ready to fill my holes with my store bought soil, native dirt, compost, perlite and ammendments... struggling with figuring out how much of each to put. My holes are 4'x4'x2' in the ground, dug in a 100' trench with hay bales in between each "box".

2). I would still like to feed/ammend during the season thru my irrigation. The ingredients that i have been thinking about are:
- chicken manure.
- Azomite
- humic acid
- CalMag.

What do you guys think? Do I have enough "juice"? Could you also help me with the amounts to add in my water/plant?
Im generally struggling with knowing what can be fed in the dirt, what can be fed in the water, if both whats better, and amounts....

I am still reading posts around here to get to a better understanding but I felt I also wanted to ask directly to all you organic growers :)

Thank you so much for the input!

Hola! Chicken manure is good for immediate N, Blood Fish & Bone is a good all-round additive which lasts
If you can, get yourself a bag of mycorrhizal fungi and spread it directly under the root zone - it's hugely beneficial
Humic acid & CalMag are better added to a liquid feed for uniform coverage
The mix ratio depends entirely on the composition of the compost, but roughly 40% compost 40% soil and 20% additives would be about right
It's not too critical as you can balance things out with liquid ferts if need be

Hola! Chicken manure is good for immediate N, Blood Fish & Bone is a good all-round additive which lasts
If you can, get yourself a bag of mycorrhizal fungi and spread it directly under the root zone - it's hugely beneficial
Humic acid & CalMag are better added to a liquid feed for uniform coverage
The mix ratio depends entirely on the composition of the compost, but roughly 40% compost 40% soil and 20% additives would be about right
It's not too critical as you can balance things out with liquid ferts if need be
Thank you!
I have an ammendment mix. It has different fish meals, kelp meal, neem meal, feather meal... and a few more things. gonna put 10lb-20lb per hole, so hopefully dont neet to ad any more than that. But it makes sense about the quick N from the manure...
Also makes sense to give the humic acid and calmag in the water for the reasons u say. Could i add to this the azomite? Its micronized. How much would you add per box?
And yes will use mycos and azos (do u prefer one over the other?)

Thanks again!!

Thank you!
I have an ammendment mix. It has different fish meals, kelp meal, neem meal, feather meal... and a few more things. gonna put 10lb-20lb per hole, so hopefully dont neet to ad any more than that. But it makes sense about the quick N from the manure...
Also makes sense to give the humic acid and calmag in the water for the reasons u say. Could i add to this the azomite? Its micronized. How much would you add per box?
And yes will use mycos and azos (do u prefer one over the other?)

Thanks again!!
I have had best results with myco and no, certainly don't mix it with anything, just a sprinkling into the bottom of the hole is sufficient
A 4' x 2' area will need 50g min to make a difference and any more than 200g per hole would do no harm, but would be wasteful
Forgot to mention - if you have/can make some fine wood ash mixing that in is an excellent K additive
Makes 'em grow like nettles on a bonfire site - boom!

Back
Top Bottom