Feminizing

Dirtdemon

Ok so I decided to spray a lower branch of my DLF with CS. I haven’t decided if I am going to pollinate the same plant or another plant. Can anyone give me the pros and cons to pollinating the same plant that I sprayed with cs. Thanks in advance.

Pros: You get seeds.

Cons: Only one parent contributing genetics to the offspring.

Technically, you're reducing vigor. That might not be something you'd notice in the first - or even second - generation of seeds. But I wouldn't recommend using the plants they produce for breeding.

But that's just me. People do this without giving it a second's thought. Actual commercial breeders, too, probably (some of them).

IF you happen to have two female cannabis plants of the same strain/phenotype, and are looking to produce some seeds, I suggest you diddle with one and then use it to pollinate the other. If they came from feminized seeds - and, especially if those feminized seeds came from the same pack - you're still taking the chance that they're the result of a selfing. But what can ya do, lol?

Pro; you get a watered down version of your chosen plant
Get lots of seeds at 99℅+- female
Seeds that could help in further breeding (if that's your direction)
Cons; a watered down version of your chosen plant, chance of being useless
Waste of time

How many runs, of chosen plant, has she been through?

Pro; you get a watered down version of your chosen plant
Get lots of seeds at 99℅+- female
Seeds that could help in further breeding (if that's your direction)
Cons; a watered down version of your chosen plant, chance of being useless
Waste of time

How many runs, of chosen plant, has she been through?
Honestly I couldn’t tell you. I am cheap and decided that I would try and breed my own seeds from every strain I grow. And I figured it would be a great learning experience.

For breeding vigour I usually treat one plant with silver thiosulphate solution, collect the pollen from it at approx 33 days after start of treatment and 12/12. I will then pollinate another female of the same strain to get seeds I can grow with or breed from. Never had any seeds produce a male.

I have self pollinated a couple of pants just for the hell of it. Both times I got all female seeds and didn't notice any reduction in potency. I would not breed from these seeds though...

breeding work should always be backed up with s1.. never know what could happen in the future....

I am cheap

So buy non-feminized seed, lol. It's usually about half the price. Even a premium-priced strain - such as Sensi Seeds' Jack Herer @ $190 for 10 seeds - ends up costing next to nothing, considering the bud they can produce. And that's without considering the fact that one pack can produce literally thousands of seeds if you so desire. And economy-class seeds are, of course, far cheaper than that.

silver thiosulphate solution

STS FtW, lol! I always felt that was better than colloidal silver, too.

Answers are all over the board so I will just add my 2 cents.
PRO's. As long as the plant is a good pheno. You are not watering down anything. Only about 50% of the seeds will be like mom but if they are a good pheno it will not matter. So the pro's are mostly good. If you were trying to breed for sale then it might be a different story. For seeds for yourself they will be fine. 1/4 of the strains I grow are selfed females.

CON's If you are dealing with one plant it is going to take longer. You will need to keep the plant going for 4 to 6 weeks after pollen. You loose hybrid vigor by using one plant. 2 female clones from different plants will still give you some hybrid vigor but will add more pheno's to the mix.

In the end it all matters what you want to do. Most people that make their own seeds are doing it for themselves. In 90% of those situations female seeds will be fine. That is considering that you know what you are dealing with. Why feminize a strain you know nothing about. If you have $ signs in your eye's you better off with a job then you are with growing. Probably 10% of growers could actually grow well enough to make a profit.

You watering down... No matter how confident some answer....

Answers are all over the board so I will just add my 2 cents.
PRO's. As long as the plant is a good pheno. You are not watering down anything. Only about 50% of the seeds will be like mom but if they are a good pheno it will not matter. So the pro's are mostly good. If you were trying to breed for sale then it might be a different story. For seeds for yourself they will be fine. 1/4 of the strains I grow are selfed females.

CON's If you are dealing with one plant it is going to take longer. You will need to keep the plant going for 4 to 6 weeks after pollen. You loose hybrid vigor by using one plant. 2 female clones from different plants will still give you some hybrid vigor but will add more pheno's to the mix.

In the end it all matters what you want to do. Most people that make their own seeds are doing it for themselves. In 90% of those situations female seeds will be fine. That is considering that you know what you are dealing with. Why feminize a strain you know nothing about. If you have $ signs in your eye's you better off with a job then you are with growing. Probably 10% of growers could actually grow well enough to make a profit.
Well technically I guess I am growing for profit. I won’t be spending any $ on grass. So that’s profit to me. $500 a month savings. That’s a payment on a new pickup.
All the seeds will be for myself except a few for choice friends that have shared clones and seeds with me in the past. I have noticed that the branch I’m spraying with cs the pistols are shriveling up.

They will. The leaves will look terrible before long. After the male flowers start forming really good. I quit spraying the buds themselves. Never sure if it would mess them up. In the past I just quit. This time I plan to continue spraying the fan leaves for a while longer. letting the tops themselves go un-sprayed. Giving the male hormones time to really kick in. The plant will still absorb it. I had one plant early on that never produced pollen. I think I stopped to soon on that project.
There is lots of value in growing that I don't consider for profit. Like you said what we don't have to spend on weed is money in our pockets. I was more refering to the people that think with a light and a few seeds they will never have to work again. I for one would never have made it this far ingrowing with out my regular job to support it.

They will. The leaves will look terrible before long. After the male flowers start forming really good. I quit spraying the buds themselves. Never sure if it would mess them up. In the past I just quit. This time I plan to continue spraying the fan leaves for a while longer. letting the tops themselves go un-sprayed. Giving the male hormones time to really kick in. The plant will still absorb it. I had one plant early on that never produced pollen. I think I stopped to soon on that project.
There is lots of value in growing that I don't consider for profit. Like you said what we don't have to spend on weed is money in our pockets. I was more refering to the people that think with a light and a few seeds they will never have to work again. I for one would never have made it this far ingrowing with out my regular job to support it.
I know what you mean about those people, the same type of person thinks that all they have to do plant the seed and it’s free money. Don’t get me wrong I think I would be a awesome career and perfect time to get into it now in Canada legalization being just around the corner. Everyone and there dog is going to be trying to get into the business now. Modern day gold rush. Lol
Thanks for the reassurance on the shriveling pistols.

I am not sure if I mentioned it but I am right about the same spot as you are. I have been spraying a female for the almost 2 weeks. I started a few days before I moved the plant into flower. Its been another week since. I looked and all my hairs have turned red just as yours have. I am using Tiresias Mist so there may be some differences but not to many. We can follow along with each other. I am fixing to take some updated pics. I will post them here.

I am not sure if I mentioned it but I am right about the same spot as you are. I have been spraying a female for the almost 2 weeks. I started a few days before I moved the plant into flower. Its been another week since. I looked and all my hairs have turned red just as yours have. I am using Tiresias Mist so there may be some differences but not to many. We can follow along with each other. I am fixing to take some updated pics. I will post them here.
Awesome I will do the same. Be a interesting comparison. I started spraying mine a couple days after the first pistols showed themselves.

Using CS at appro. 100-130 ppm and spraying twice a day from switch to 12/12 I find it can take anywhere between 2.5-4 weeks before any male flowers start showing (it's strain dependant). The plant will look battered but will be ok. Use silver thiosulphate instead as it is cheap and easy to make, use and store.
@Dirtdemon: the purpose of the spraying is to suppress the formation of female flowers so it is best to start spraying at start of 12/12 (or even a couple of days before). That way, if you wanted to pollinate a female in the same grow space, you can time it reliably as you know you need to switch the female to 12/12 approx 7-12 days after the "male"

Back
Top Bottom