First Grow - Big Bud x White Widow Soil Grow

grussingjt

So I JUST started this grow and bought as much as I could with my budget. I'm going to be growing in 5g buckets. Right now the little ones are in peat under a FL. This is my setup so far, I do have a fan, botanicare products, bamboo sticks, pesticide, odor care, MG organic, and a couple other things.

I used the tissue germination method, took a day and a half but eventually 2 fully sprouted, and the other 2 just kind opened but no sprouts. I've heard I've got a good light for what I want LEC 315w). And to mention i have a time frame of 3 months, so is it possible to just start the flowering a little earlier if it gets to the height i want? Here are pics of my setup AS OF NOW :) as much help as possible would be great, please no jerks!!:welcome: And I'm also a clean freak so no worries about that!
20140505_193716.jpg

box for my light
20140508_143356.jpg

What I did with the seedlings once they sprouted.
20140508_143440.jpg

Where they will go once they grow a bit, (foil will be going on the door).

I know it's not a lot to go by, but any advice or help would be appriciated.:Namaste:

Re: First grow.big bud x white widow soil grow

Hey man. Welcome to 420magazine!

Looking for tips? I can shoot off a few things to be considered.

-ditch the tinfoil. It creates hotspots. Paint the walls flat white, or pickup some panda film from the hydro store. White one oneside black on the other.
-do you have an exhaust hole and air intake hole in the wall? If so you should devise a way to do so . intake bottom exhaust at top.
-get a thermometer and hygrometer.
-don't use any mg products for cannabis. People will yell at you lol.
-you said you got a fan. Do you mean exhaust fan or circulation fan? You should have both.
-good affordable nute line is GH flora series.

Lol just some suggestions and things to consider. Not trying to tell ya what to do by no means. If you got any questions ask away man!

I'm not familiar with the light. Is it hps/metal halide or cfl?

Cheers

Doing some research on your light. Seems its some technology I'm not aware of, or they put some fancy name on cmh( ceramic metal halide). The spectrum isn't ideal for flowering 3100k and 4200k is closer to vegging spectrum. But people say metal halide isn't ideal for flowering but I used a 400w halide for a year with decent results for sure.

And subscribed :)

-Well I live in a rental so unfortunately painting the walls is not option :( Could i flip the tinfoil?
-I'm on a low budget, so i just have a normal fan. I was just going to have the door open and crack a window (I know that sounds so stupid).
-Right now I'm living in a small town for 3 more months for work, then I'm moving back to denver, so a lot of this stuff is unavailable to me.
-And I heard about not using mg after i bought there nutes :( so on my trip to colorado i picked up some botanicare nutes. You think MG soil will hurt? What should I do differently since im using that soil?
-ALSO huge question that I cant find an answer to anywhere, how much water am i suppose to use per water? like what do you normally use?

I just said screw it and moved them under the big light, which is LEC 315w. Timer is on 18/6 (6pm-12pm). I'm just waiting for my pictures to travel from my phone to the computer through email haha. Thanks for the response!! I love your grows!

OK let's get at er.

-tinfoil. No lol looks like the walls are close to white anyways. You are probably better off.

-well just a tip. 300w I can guess it generates heat. So you'll need a way to exchange that hot air for cool air. I seen someone get a peice of wood the width of a PC fan. Put the fan at the top of the wood and leave a gap at the bottom for cool air to get in. Open door a crack and put it in the crack. Not sure if you can imagine what I'm explaining lol I can try again or draw a pic if u need. This way u don't cut holes. A small fan blowing across the tops of the plants. is good to help cool as well.
You want to keep your temps below 29c or 80f.
Once you get time to flower you'll have to make sure there is no light leaks in your closet during the dark period.

-mg soil I'm pretty sure u just don't feed for a month or 2. Mg has time release crap that will burn your plants if you try to feed nutes on top of it.
If you can afford, the plants are still young you could get some new soil. Pro mix without any time release shit in it. If not the mg should be done in 30 days or so.

-watering rule of thumb is water till you see 10 to 15% run off out the bottom. And don't water again till the soil is dry about 1/2 inch to a inch down. Once you get a feel for the plants u can set a schedule so ya don't over or under water.

Thanks my first grow was my learning expirence lol it got all fucked up, I used mg n shit. Was working all winter and didn't have time to post a lot. Was just sitting back reading, learning and growing in the meantime.

Excellent advice Stumped! Tin foil will not redirect light as well as flat white would. Grussingjt, if you aren't able to paint your walls flat white another cheap alternative is to use printer paper. Make sure the paper isn't anywhere near the lights of course, and it's best when firmly secured to the wall (some folded tape put on the corners should do just fine). As for the MG soil, like Stumped said, just don't feed for the first month. Plain PH'd tap water would do, though if you could use RO or distilled water it would be better. And to answer your first post, you can flower as soon as you're ready, just flip your lights to the 12/12 schedule when you feel your plants are large enough. Some growers like to flip after one month, though your yield will be directly related to how much time you VEG. Since you're on a tight schedule, one month in VEG and two months of flowering should do you just fine. I look forward to see how you do! :goodluck::popcorn:

20140508_201945.jpg

20140508_202134.jpg

I'll take down the tinfoil tomorrow morning. I have a small fan that blows across the plants in the corner. But you're right, I'm going to start raising it as the plants grow. The windows are covered so I dont have to worry about the light during dark period. But with the setup I have now, do you think it'll be ok? Also, would you suggest the drip method of watering?

Thank you guys for the help, I'll most likely be posting weekly updates or an update when something goes wrong ( which i hope doesn't happen). But you both are awesome!!! Hopefully by the end of the grow I'll be a bit more seasoned like you guys haha!

Lol something went wrong with the pics.

As long as u can keep the temps in a ok range you'll be ok.

Keep the light about 2 feet or so from the plants for now, and slowly move it closer every few days. Seedlings can and will fry fast.

Drip feeding is done in a hydro based media I believe. Rockwool blocks or hydroton. It can be done in soil I guess, I can't help ya much there from existence though. I can help do some research though. I'm up for learning lol I might even consider adopting the idea. I'm getting sick of hand watering lol

Thank you guys for the help, I'll most likely be posting weekly updates or an update when something goes wrong ( which i hope doesn't happen). But you both are awesome!!! Hopefully by the end of the grow I'll be a bit more seasoned like you guys haha!

Don't mistake me for seasoned hahahaha I'm a noob too. Been growing under a year. I learn fast . and to be fair lol 6 months you'll look back at this thread and laugh to yourself at all the small mistakes ya make. I know my first journal was pretty funny. Just simple things ya don't know till ya try it or someone tells ya the difference.

Cheers man you chosen the best site to start your journey on. I've watched other sites like this and there all assholes. Make a simple mistake and they make ya feel stupid as shit.

Cheers and I look forward to more updates.

Drip feeding is a great way to give your plants extra oxygen. If you chose to use soil as your medium, you'd have to make sure that your drainage is adequate. When drip feeding, you'll need to feed twice a day (hand watering or with a timed watering system), with PH'd water, and an appropriate amount of nutrients (which would be very difficult to determine if using soil). I don't suggest this for a first timer. The K.I.S.S. method is one that's tried and true. If you just grow with what you've got, I'm sure you'll see great results! :headbanger:

So the little pots my seedlings are planted in seem to dry out quickly, I' sure im giving enough water as I see runout at the bottom. Is it the light or the peet pots?

Paper towel method. The roots in 2 of em were barely sticking out when I planted, and the other 2 were just cracked. But I stuck em at the window sill a couple days ago.

well how often do i water a seedling? It's not under any artificial light, It's just by the window sill. It's not that hot.

General rule of thumb is when the soil is dry 1 inch under the soil. And like u already know water till 15% runoff. If they are still drying out daily I'd say put them in bigger pots. Should only have to water every second day or third.

And for the record the sun is more powerful then any hid lol

Back
Top Bottom