First Grow, Birthday Cake & Desert Snow

Hey there Willis, welcome! Back in the '60's some of the old growers realized that if a plant was stressed to the extreme near the end, it increased the amount of THC that it produced. Back then, plants were routinely producing 12-16% thc, so every extra bit was appreciated. It became the lore that if your plant was not dying at the end, it had not produced as best as it could... So they did all sorts of mean things to the plants at the end, including starvation. Some believed that you must hang your plants upside down after the chop, some believed that the starvation somehow made the product taste better.

but then came the organic crowd. It quickly became clear that organically grown pot was the very best in the land and it became apparent that the key to this ability for the plants to fully express themselves involved the organic soil's nature to provide nutrients to the plant, right up the very end. It befuddled all the popular myths.... organic pot, fed fully right up to the end, tasted much much better than any other pot. hmmm, a real head scratcher, eh?

I am one of those who led the crowd in realizing that this idea of starving the plants at the end, either for a week or two weeks was total nonsense. Yes, it produced a little more THC, but on lessor buds! We now know that the last two weeks of the grow are the most important time in the development of the buds, and oftentimes half of the girth and weight of the buds builds in during that last two weeks... if the plant has the nutrients it needs to perform this miracle.

We now have come full circle and come back to age old gardening techniques in a closed container. We know that nutrients and salts build up in the soil throughout the grow and that it is highly beneficial to flush (clean) that soil going into that last two weeks with a full 3x the container size flush. This sets the about to explode with growth buds into overdrive, with the ability to uptake all the water they can manage along with all the nutes you can get them to take during that critical last two weeks, and it can really make a huge difference.

The plant even will slow down on uptake right at the end, all by itself and the plant should stop using water suddenly, signalling that the end has come. It is at this time that I totally stress out the plant, using any of a number of final days terrors, inducing the plant (as the old ones believed) to throw that last little bit of THC into the mix because of the stress.

Thanks @Emilya welcome to my journal and I appreciate the input, never hurts to have some extra knowledge. Sometime In the next week I’ll start introducing nutes to the oldest (1/4) strength. And I’ll be sure to flush 2 weeks prior and also believe I’m going to take up bud washing as it seems to be a great option to increase bud quality (smoother smoke).

Alright here we go guys and gals going on my 2nd week in veg and just started lst last night how’re we lookin?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 36
Here’s the updated photos. And just to be clear with 420magazine moderators I live in Colorado so my personal grow is legal. Just started low strength nutes seems leaves are getting a lighter green. Left for a week and they were a bit under watered when I came back from vacation but trying to correct that now. Other than that how’s it looking?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Hey there everyone here’s my most recent pics. Just starting introducing nutes today 1/4 strength I was on vacation for a week and the person I had looking after them didn’t do the greatest job so They were pretty dry when I got back so I went ahead and got everything watered. Other than that and some leaf curling from what I’m assuming was the lack of water I believe everything is looking good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 32
Alright guys how we looking? Seem to have a few leaves foxtailing and I’m not sure what’s causing the discoloration, any opinions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 45
Do you have a good oscillating fan in there? The damage you have shown us looks more like wind damage to me rather than a nutrient problem. I saw one spot that might be a bit of a magnesium shortage, but so far I don't see clear signs of it. I don't know what you mean by leaves foxtailing... leaves don't do that. Please describe the problem you think you are seeing.

When I say foxtailing I’m referring to twisted growth, it’s only in a few leaves and I only have one fan on the inside and 1 on the outside venting in and the fans on my light. I was assuming the leaf spots were calcium I needed to get some Calmag anyways. As far as temps
And air movement it seems to be well ventilated and I don’t blow it directly on the plants just above the canopy to blow off the hot air from the light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 31
When I say foxtailing I’m referring to twisted growth, it’s only in a few leaves and I only have one fan on the inside and 1 on the outside venting in and the fans on my light. I was assuming the leaf spots were calcium I needed to get some Calmag anyways. As far as temps
And air movement it seems to be well ventilated and I don’t blow it directly on the plants just above the canopy to blow off the hot air from the light.
The leaf twisting is mostly genetic... I don't see a nutrition problem in that. There is one leaf spot that looks like the results of a calcium deficiency. Adding some calmag is probably a good call. The rest of it appears to be wind damage... the spots are not in the right places to be anything but. Lets watch carefully to see if it progresses.

The leaf twisting is mostly genetic... I don't see a nutrition problem in that. There is one leaf spot that looks like the results of a calcium deficiency. Adding some calmag is probably a good call. The rest of it appears to be wind damage... the spots are not in the right places to be anything but. Lets watch carefully to see if it progresses.
It’s definitely progressed in 1 plant basically over night I may just chop it cause it’s not been doing good at all. And just so you know the smooth leaf edges aren’t a result of reveg the edges are actually curled under the leaf.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 33
Not real often I wait until I cant feel any water weight then I water. I make sure the bottom is dry before I ever water as to not drown the roots.

Okay so I’m force flowering now, they are around the age to start showing their sex and I don’t have enough space for them to get much bigger before flowering. Here’s some pics. Staying around 60-70% rh and about 77-88 temp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom