Grow Journal: GJCN420M-2023:01 - Birthday Cake Lite-2023 - Cousins

Ravenplume

Second journal of the year here for me. This one features representatives of both Birthday Cake plants I got from my neighbor near the end of the season, that he could not take with him when he moved.

Birthday-Cake-Lite-0.JPG

So far, these are all I have going, and boy do they look like they need some good TLC right now. Just have to remember that these are in a "holding pattern" right now as I work on getting various grow spaces set up around the house. Other than the usual objective of getting a good yield from one of each outside this year, I have other goals for these. First, these are Birthday Cake Lites, not pure Birthday Cakes; and I am close to 100% certain that the plants last year were pollinated by my Wildling boy that pollinated Fawn and made my first Feyleaf seeds, judging by the metric buttload of seeds each Birthday Cake gave. My other objectives for these will be mated sibling pairs from each set. So I need a boy and a girl from each set, and they will be noble bred. And that should technically make the results a pure strain again. Of course, they would still not be pure Birthday Cake, so their offspring will get a new but related name. I am leaning toward Birthday Spanking and Birthday Surprise here, though in future seasons, perhaps I will crossbreed the two as well. We can call them kissing cousins, I guess. But I digress.

Birthday-Cake-Lite-1.JPG

Definitely getting another two or three of each started today, especially considering I only have one active representative of Plant:1 and 2 of Plant:2

Birthday-Cake-Lite-2.JPG

And they are all looking a little sickly in various ways. But, the season has only begun, and so have I. And of minor interest, neither of the BC Lites that will be grown out and harvested will be going in the cage. They will each be getting large planters that can be moved around to wherever they are needed, since I don't like having more than three (2 is ideal really) crowding the cage. And the cage is reserved for 1 Feyleaf, 1 Bittersweet Pie, and 1 Bubblegum (next upcoming journal here, by the way).

Almost forgot...

Plant:1/Seed:01 - Sprouted 2022-12-07 / Planted 2022-12-12
Plant:2/Seed:02 - Sprouted 2022-11-22 / Planted 2022-11-24
Plant:2/Seed:03 - Sprouted 2022-12-08 / Planted 2022-12-12

Already have a little update here for this one.

As of some time tonight (01-25), Plant:1/Seed:02 and Plant:2/Seed:04 and 05 have sprouted.

Birthday-Cake-Lite-5.JPG

About 2 days to sprout. Not half bad at all.

So, just a super duper quick update, then time to get Rigel into his houseplant pot...and get a few morning glory sprouts planted and sharing planters with other things I'm growing...

Birthday-Cake-Lite-6.JPG

Still 2 of Plant:1 unsprouted, and 1 of Plant:2

Plant:1 / Seedling:02 is now in a Kraft Unicorn Mac and Cheese bowl with pea gravel for drainage, Plant:2 / Seedling:04 is in a Not-a-Pringles canister, again with pea gravel in the bottom for drainage. Plant:2 / Seedling:05 is just in a normal 8.5 oz styro cup with just the big planter holding it being its drainage.

That's it for now. Now time for a late 420 then finish getting morning glories planted, and Rigel transferred to the planter.

And as just a small update here, the 2nd seed from Plant:1 has been planted, designated as P:1/S:03.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-7.JPG

I failed to take note of when it sprouted, but looking at earlier journal entries, I think 02/01 will be close enough. So that makes three of Plant:1 for the main project.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-8.JPG

And I am really hoping S:01 there on the left ends up being my first BC Lite Plant:1 girl, because I really want her to be the primary that gets the big planter and grows to full huge harvest. Once we have the space cleared for night time storage and things start warming up a bit more (perhaps end of February), she will go ahead and get the big planter and become an indoor/outdoor plant. It's a shame neither of its siblings are even out of the infant stage yet. May need to get S:02 into better lighting conditions and see if I can encourage it to grow up a bit faster so the two can be sexed together.

Well, here's a new development, and if I can keep this one happy and healthy as a house plant through the season, one of the Birthday Cake Lite objectives will be achieved. Behold...
Birthday-Cake-Lite-14.JPG

Seedling:03 from Plant:2 has managed to flower early, and is a boy. Not certain what triggered it, as he has been kept under the lamp on my nightstand with a few other things, and getting light off it from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed, plus indirect natural lighting through the window blinds.

Birthday-Cake-Lite-15.JPG

At least he is only showing on the crown and the next node down, so reveg shouldn't take too long. Right? At any rate, he is now under the lamp by my desk, which will be kept on 24/7 until I am confident the reveg is underway.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-16.JPG

Then once he has grown up a bit more, he will take his place in the flower pot on my night stand that previously held one of my Windling boys. Not certain if there is any harvestable pollen on him any more, but I guess I will find out when I am ready to pull the old one to make way for the new.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-17.JPG

In the meantime, I guess I need to get some more representatives of Plants 1 and 2 going. Just realized I only have one surviving P:1 plant, which I am having high confidence will be a girl and my primary for the grow, and 2 additional surviving P:2 plants, both of which feel like they are in just a holding pattern. Here's one...
Birthday-Cake-Lite-18.JPG

The other is about the same, but with a second layer of 3 blade baby fan leaves.

Well, here's a new development, and if I can keep this one happy and healthy as a house plant through the season, one of the Birthday Cake Lite objectives will be achieved. Behold...
Birthday-Cake-Lite-14.JPG

Seedling:03 from Plant:2 has managed to flower early, and is a boy. Not certain what triggered it, as he has been kept under the lamp on my nightstand with a few other things, and getting light off it from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed, plus indirect natural lighting through the window blinds.

Birthday-Cake-Lite-15.JPG

At least he is only showing on the crown and the next node down, so reveg shouldn't take too long. Right? At any rate, he is now under the lamp by my desk, which will be kept on 24/7 until I am confident the reveg is underway.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-16.JPG

Then once he has grown up a bit more, he will take his place in the flower pot on my night stand that previously held one of my Windling boys. Not certain if there is any harvestable pollen on him any more, but I guess I will find out when I am ready to pull the old one to make way for the new.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-17.JPG

In the meantime, I guess I need to get some more representatives of Plants 1 and 2 going. Just realized I only have one surviving P:1 plant, which I am having high confidence will be a girl and my primary for the grow, and 2 additional surviving P:2 plants, both of which feel like they are in just a holding pattern. Here's one...
Birthday-Cake-Lite-18.JPG

The other is about the same, but with a second layer of 3 blade baby fan leaves.
Imho they look like they starving for some light. They are super stretched and are in need some better lighting. But I could be wrong 😑. Btw what are you feeding them? CL🍀

Yeah. We are still working on better lighting for them. Just had so much other stuff on our plates, we have not had a chance to really implement our big grandiose plans yet. I did go ahead and have the Bitter Sweet Pie swap places with the Feyleaf, and the Birthday Cake Lite 2/02 shifted over between them.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-20.JPG

The Feyleaf was really overshadowing the others, so figured she can fall back and give her cousins a chance.
Birthday-Cake-Lite-21.JPG

Birthday-Cake-Lite-22.JPG

In other news, it has been about 3 days since the Birthday Cake Boy went under 24/7 lighting, and none of the lower nodes have popped up with pollen sacs yet, unlike the tiny crown and first two nodes. Is that a good sign that reveg is already under way, do you think?
Birthday-Cake-Lite-19.JPG

Also got this little space going decently in my room under the west facing window.
Bedroom West Window.JPG

Only cannabis plant being kept in this section at the moment though is that Feyleaf in the Mac 'n Cheese cup. The rest is peppers of various types, squashes, a broccoli or two, and other miscellaneous veggies.

As for feeding, they've just been living off whatever nutrients are in our yard soil; which I think has some decent volcanic content to it.

And lastly, 2 each of the Birthday Cake Lite seeds had actually sprouted like 16 hours after starting, and then a third one from Plant:2 sprouted this morning. I think in a few days, they will go into Not Pringles canisters like these others. These seem to be a pretty good starting environment and they seem to grow faster in these than they do in smaller containers. Or I may just be imagining that. Anyway, time to go have a bubbler load of Wildling-2019 (the Feyleaf progenitor) or another dose of Bubblegum, then see what other stuff I work on tonight.

I am now planning on pulling one of the Plant:2 BCLs for a special experiment. On 05/04 (May the Fourth), I am going to transfer it to either one of the giant planters or a 5 gallon bucket, then move it outside, simulating an early planting. I remember last year, and at least one of the previous seasons, early planteds ended up flowering extremely early (ended up being male each time, but that could still be coincidence.

Hoping to see if that will happen with this one, in an experiment of half assed science.. If it does flower early and it is a girl, I will let her run her course (and at whatever the right time is, get her pollinated with her brother's pollen and make a new pure breed Birthday Cake derivative. Next update should happen on the 4th when the transplant actually happens.

Final summary for the Birthday Cake Lites...

Ultimately there were 2 males and 2 females that were the major players for the grow, and I was even able to have specific breeding pairs for them.

Pair:0 consisted of the 2 siblings out in the back yard, a bucketed male and his sister out in the cage. (the boy also knocked up the Feyleaf, Bittersweet Pie, and Guttersnipe out in the cage plus the two bucketed Bubblegums on the deck.)

Pair:0 gave me 8 ounces of whole bud, and 12.3 ounces of Pixie Dust, with a minuscule amount of the dust being from Pair:1 due to there not being enough to really count, and a buttload of seeds. Pair:1, both of which were in pots on the front porch, only gave 1/10 ounce, but a buttload of seeds.

The seeds from both pairs actually qualify for what can technically be my second name and claim, due to meeting the inbreeding (or as I prefer, noble breeding) requirement for a pure. But since they are only half breeds, but now purebred half breeds, I can't call them Birthday Cake or Birthday Cake Lite. If they were from Wildlings, they would get a full new name. But as re-bred siblings, if that makes sense, I have to give them a name similar to, but not exactly like the original.

Therefore, I am declaring these Birthday Spanking, Generation:0. I am also going to attempt to keep the 2 different "bloodlines" separate, with them designated Pair:0 and Pair:1; at least initially. I am sure in future seasons it will be necessary to cross breed the two lines together as well, or it will happen naturally...

And that is all I have for now, other than that there is still a Birthday Cake Lite struggling in a Planters canister indoors here that I need to attend to before I murdilate it from neglect.

And the obligatory pic of the goods.

Also, the one in the planter died off like the Bitter Sweet Pie that I was also trying to maintain in a planter.

Not closing out the journal yet though, as even though I am now growing Birthday Spanking, I could fiddle more with the BCL seeds in the not too distant future. Who knows?

CN-2023-Birthday-Cake-Lite-BCL.jpg

I am actually rolling the Birthday Spanking journal into the Birthday Cake Lite, since they are so closely related. And if I ever get pure Birthday Cake seeds, they will be documented here as well.

2024-02-13 / 10:00 this morning...

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-00.jpg

Next journal of Voodoo Botany and Noobs Helping Noobs is an actual pure I call Birthday Spanking. And this journal will feature seeds from two different breeding pairs I ended up with end of 2022; which I am designating PR:0 and PR:1 Also, this is my first time having 2 totally separate breeding pairs, all siblings of course. The name is derived from the original pure's name of Birthday Cake. Since the Birthday Cake Lites never got further bred into a Wildling, and instead, 2 different sibling pairs did the dirty and noble bred themselves back into a pure (but not pure Birthday Cake), I decreed that the new name should be derived from the old, unlike Wildlings, which triggers a full fledged name and claim when noble breeding their siblings together.

I do have half a dozen from Pair:0 in progress already, but they are struggling due to inefficient lighting, and will get some intensive care going for them soon, and the three I am about to start are still needed for the Noobs Helping Noobs aspect of the journal.
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-01.jpg

The current S:00 is the most likely to not make it, but I'm gonna give it my best shot to keep it alive and thriving.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-02.jpg

The one in the styro cup currently has no sequence number, but it is the most likely to become the actual S:00 for Pair:0 and take its place in the cage as S:01 and the Birthday Spanking representative for the upcoming main grow journal for the year: CNX-2024:0. It went through the first 33 days of its life on my flowering lighting of 14 hours dark / 10 hours light, and might hopefully show some sex characteristics soon.
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-03.jpg

For Pair:1, I currently only have 4 active seedlings.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-04.jpg

S:02 is most likely to become the primary that gets to grow out in one of the bigass planters, if it ends up being a girl. It did the Flower cycle from birth lighting recentl;y, and should be showing its sex soon, I hope.

And if that one ends up being a boy, it will be the primary pollen supplier for Pair:1; and then S:03 is the next most likely to be the Pair:1 primary. Guess I should get it started on 14/10 tonight.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-06.jpg

The Pair:0 seeds are the ones I am most likely to make public elsewhere (share with family and weed growing neighbors that is), as the Birthday Cake Lite I pulled them from gave several jars of seed-laden bud that is still contributing more seeds as I twiddle them to deseed before smoking. The Pair:1 seeds' mother plant was in a 5 gallon bucket and only produced a couple bowls worth of smokable bud, and far fewer seeds. In fact, to paraphrase Carl Sagan, counting what has been sprouted and died already, What is shown are all the Pair:1 seeds that are, were, or will be. Heck, Pair:1 seeds will likely be restricted to my most trusted fans and minions (of which, I may now have a couple, one of which discovered 420 Magazine while "researching" me from elsewhere. :) ) who care about this sort of thing when the time comes.
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-07.jpg

So we now get three of each to supplement and for the purposes of this journal...
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-08.jpg

And finally, here's the history and stats I can deduce on these. They will get their sequence numbers sorted out when I know what my primary of each will be...

Name: Birthday Spanking-PR:0/G:00/2023
Subclass: Indica/Sativa Hybrid - 50/50
Mother Plant: Birthday Cake Lite-PL:0/S:00/2022
Mother Plant SC: Indica/Sativa Hybrid - 50/50
Father Plant: Birthday Cake Lite-PL:0/S:01/2022
Father Plant SC: Indica/Sativa Hybrid - 50/50

Grandmother Plant: Birthday Cake-PL:0/2021 (Indica Dominant)
Grandfather Plant: Wildling-00/S:19/2019 (Sativa Dominant)

Name: Birthday Spanking-PR:1/G:00/2023
Subclass: Indica/Sativa Hybrid - 50/50
Mother Plant: Birthday Cake Lite-PL:1/S:00/2022
Mother Plant SC: Indica/Sativa Hybrid - 50/50
Father Plant: Birthday Cake Lite-PL:1/S:01/2022
Father Plant SC: Indica/Sativa Hybrid - 50/50

Grandmother Plant: Birthday Cake-PL:1/2021 (Indica Dominant)
Grandfather Plant: Wildling-00/S:19/2019 (Sativa Dominant)

So, Fall of 2022, about a month before harvest, I think it was, my neighbor gifted me a Bubblegum and 3 Birthday Cake plants he was growing, but did not have space for where he was moving. The Bubblegum and the first Birthday Cake, which I will call Plant:0, got planted out in the cage out back as replacements for two of the boys I ended up getting. The other two Birthday Cakes were in giant planters, so we will call those Plants:1 and 2. Plant 2 was the tiniest of them, and was actually pretty much ready to harvest at that time, due to the trunk being broken with a failed duct tape repair job. What little bit of bud I got off that was smokable and gave a buzz. That one also produced a small handful of seeds, which I believe is an indicator that she self pollinated and made feminized seeds. They also all had a high mortality rate (something else I think is an indicator of feminized, due to self pollinating being the ultimate go BLEEP yourself, aka noble breeding.) At any rate, none of the seeds or the few seedlings that sprouted survived, so there really is nothing left of Plant:2 to discuss further, just part of the history behind these...

Plants:0 and 1 are another story though. They both got heavily pollinated, and I am quite certain the lucky boy was the same Wildling:00/2019 that pollinated his sister next to him in the cage. PL:0 continued to grow and mature in the cage, as did PL:1 in the planter (other than the section that was separated from the trunk like PL:3's was; and that was harvested on the spot and decreed good.) Both plants produced a decent amount of half breed seeds that I called Birthday Cake Lite-PL:0 and PL:1.

Grew out 4 BC Lites in 2023, a brother and sister from each plant, and established two distinct breeding pairs. PR:0 consisted of the BC Lite Primary for the grow out in the cage, and a brother on the back deck; both from PL:0. He also pollinated the two Bubblegums on the deck, as well as the Guttersnipe Mutt, Bitter Sweet Pie, and Feyleaf in the cage with his sister. PR:1 was the first girl and first boy from PL:1. And they were kept on the front porch together. As mentioned earlier, all of the Birthday Spanking-PL:1/PR:1/G:00/2023 seeds that will ever exist have been collected. Still have jars of Plant:0's bud though with plenty of PL:0/PR:0/2023 seeds to recover.

Objectives for this project are like the others: Grow one gal of each to flower and budding with little to no seeds, and try to make at least one, or preferably two breeding pairs from each, generating G:01 seeds. And if I have spare gals of either, get at least one self pollinated with the colloidal silver stuff to make what I would deem Generation:01(f) seeds.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-09.jpg

And as before, the wait begins.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-05.jpg

S:03 was started on 14/10 last night, so will wake up at around noon.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-10.jpg

2024-02-14 / 19:00

Two seeds from Pair:0 and one from Pair:1 are just now starting to sprout.

TTS: 31 Hours

2024-02-19 / 16:20

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-12.jpg

Time to finally get the sprouted Birthday Spanking seeds thus far planted; all three from Pair:0, and the first two from Pair:1

The first from Pair:0 is getting the small Dollar Tree pot that was home to S:03. But since S:03 decided to up and die on me last night and Sequence numbers only get assigned once a plant is well established, that bit can be ignored for now.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-13.jpg

May not be the most ideal lighting, especially this late in the day, but good enough for at least until tomorrow.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-14.jpg

And to wrap up this update, I am starting one more from Pair:1, since it really is starting to look like the runt is not going to sprout.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-15.jpg

The replacement is the one nestled among the zucchini seeds. The runt has until the new one sprouts, then it gets tossed.

2024-02-21 / 08:20

Replacement PR:1 seed has sprouted. Unsprouted runt seed is tossed.

TTS: 40 hours

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-16.jpg

2024-02-22 / 10:00

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-17.jpg

I didn't waste any time getting the PR:1 replacement planted.

26 1/2 hours from sprout to dirt. I think this is my quickest to date.
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-18.jpg

I managed to find a spot in front of the neat little USB mini grow lamp I found recently at Salvation Army. I think it was $6 well spent.
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-19.jpg

2024-02-26 / 12:00

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-20.jpg

Birthday Spanking-Pair:1/S:03 is now off the flowering schedule and is back to veg lighting.

These three from Pair:1; S:00, 01, and 02 start their 10 to 14 days in flowering lighting at 22:00.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-21.jpg

As does Pair:0/S:01
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-22.jpg

I honestly have little confidence in any of these making it, and have better feeling about the unsequenced ones I still have happily growing in their various spots upstairs. Additionally, one of the unsequenced Pair:0 sprouts in a styro cup up and died on me.

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-23.jpg

NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-24.jpg

So now, I got another pair of each started.
NHN-Journal-0002-Birthday-Spanking-25.jpg

Back
Top Bottom