Grow Journal: GJCN420M-2023:02 - Bubblegum-2023 - Pure Girls

Ravenplume

And now for the next journal (only another 2 planned for here after this...for now.)

These are Bubblegum, from the Bubblegum plant my neighbor gave me to finish growing out last year right before he moved.

Bubblegum-0.JPG

So far, I only have the four subjects, S:00, 02, 03, and 04. 01 was an early casualty of my derpiness. I am being a little more sparing and careful with these, because thus far, only 11 seeds have manifested (more could be extracted from the bud as it is sifted for smoking, but at the moment, this is all there is; these 4 youngsters and 6 seeds).

Unlike the Wildling 2019s and the new Feyleafs, which generated an imperial buttload of seeds, and the 2 Birthday Cakes with their metric buttloads of seeds, I am pretty certain that the Bubblegum plant self pollinated instead of being knocked up by Wildling:19 like Fawn and the Birthday Cakes did). Unless one shows as male, I am assuming these seeds are feminized and will all be girls.

S:00 will be the primary for this project, and should get a container upgrade within the next month, and will get planted in the cage come June. I will likely grow out a second one in a 5 gallon bucket, and see what voodoo botany I can perform to get her to self pollinate and make a new generation of pure Bubblegum. The third will hopefully get bred with pollen from the suspected autoflower Sour Sunset Lite I posted about elsewhere, and hopefully produce a whole new Wildling, totally unrelated to my 2019s. 4th of course, gets to be a house plant, and I am hoping that I manage on at least one of these, to finally take a cutting and grow it out to a full blown house plant to maintain year after year. Growing from a cutting (other than the original Bitter Sweet Pie that was already well along when my neighbor gave it to me in 2020 for my 2021 grow) is something I still have had no success with. It will happen this time around though, I am confident.

Bubblegum-1.JPG

Yep. Definitely S:00 as the primary, and chances are, 04 will become the house plant.

Bubblegum-2.JPG

And as is becoming procedure and tradition for my journals...

S:00 Sprouted 2022-11-24 and planted on 11-26
S:02, 03 - 2023-01-12 / 2023-01-13
S:04 - 2023-01-14 / 2023-01-16

And unless one dies on me, I am thinking of holding off getting any additionals started, what with the severely low number of seeds I have on hand. 4 should be enough to work with for now.

Bubblegum-3.JPG

And now for the next journal (only another 2 planned for here after this...for now.)

These are Bubblegum, from the Bubblegum plant my neighbor gave me to finish growing out last year right before he moved.

Bubblegum-0.JPG

So far, I only have the four subjects, S:00, 02, 03, and 04. 01 was an early casualty of my derpiness. I am being a little more sparing and careful with these, because thus far, only 11 seeds have manifested (more could be extracted from the bud as it is sifted for smoking, but at the moment, this is all there is; these 4 youngsters and 6 seeds).

Unlike the Wildling 2019s and the new Feyleafs, which generated an imperial buttload of seeds, and the 2 Birthday Cakes with their metric buttloads of seeds, I am pretty certain that the Bubblegum plant self pollinated instead of being knocked up by Wildling:19 like Fawn and the Birthday Cakes did). Unless one shows as male, I am assuming these seeds are feminized and will all be girls.

S:00 will be the primary for this project, and should get a container upgrade within the next month, and will get planted in the cage come June. I will likely grow out a second one in a 5 gallon bucket, and see what voodoo botany I can perform to get her to self pollinate and make a new generation of pure Bubblegum. The third will hopefully get bred with pollen from the suspected autoflower Sour Sunset Lite I posted about elsewhere, and hopefully produce a whole new Wildling, totally unrelated to my 2019s. 4th of course, gets to be a house plant, and I am hoping that I manage on at least one of these, to finally take a cutting and grow it out to a full blown house plant to maintain year after year. Growing from a cutting (other than the original Bitter Sweet Pie that was already well along when my neighbor gave it to me in 2020 for my 2021 grow) is something I still have had no success with. It will happen this time around though, I am confident.

Bubblegum-1.JPG

Yep. Definitely S:00 as the primary, and chances are, 04 will become the house plant.

Bubblegum-2.JPG

And as is becoming procedure and tradition for my journals...

S:00 Sprouted 2022-11-24 and planted on 11-26
S:02, 03 - 2023-01-12 / 2023-01-13
S:04 - 2023-01-14 / 2023-01-16

And unless one dies on me, I am thinking of holding off getting any additionals started, what with the severely low number of seeds I have on hand. 4 should be enough to work with for now.

Bubblegum-3.JPG
Love the variety of cups. :thumb:
How are you going to uppot the chip tube?:Namaste:
I'll hang out and follow along if that's OK.
Hope your having a wonderful day my friend.
Take care.

#Vivosun #LoveWhatYouGrow
Bill284 :cool:

Wow, you got your work cut out for you @Ravenplume

I have only made seeds a few times, and it save money before you know it. I made my seeds from feminized plants and get feminized seeds it return. I own a Silver Thiosfulate Spray Kit but have never used it.

I normally make my female seeds by stressing my plant in the 5th week of flower; but everyone has their own way.

I will stick around for the fun if you dodn't mind.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

Love the variety of cups. :thumb:
How are you going to uppot the chip tube?:Namaste:
I'll hang out and follow along if that's OK.
Hope your having a wonderful day my friend.
Take care.

After a few little techniques tried last year (most of which ended up using tin snips to just cut the canister away from around the plant), I have found a technique that is easy and preserves the canister for next use. I simply use something long and flat to loosen the dirt around the edge of the canister, cover the top with the palm of my left hand (plant should be between the index and social finger; turn it upside down, and give the bottom a nice firm smack or two. Everything needed should slide out in a nice little dirt and root ball into your hand and you can just put the whole lump in the new planter...or hole in the ground. And if the roots aren't sticking through the canister's drainage holes (if there is one...some times I just use a layer of pea gravel instead and let the bottom inch of the canister be the drip tray), you can also do the Watermelon Heart dig around the plant with a spoon or small gardening spade to extract it, as chances are, the roots have not grown down past the half way mark at that point.

These techniques work nicely for upgrading stuff out of styro cups as well, along with any other temporary planters, leaving them available for reuse.

I may demonstrate that with Rigel, my Sour Sunset Boy, when he gets moved from his styro cup to a planter shared with a spider plant. Will just try to do it with pictures instead of a full fledged video, though I suppose it would be easiest to make a video and take screenshots of the moments to show...

Just have to say, this really is not that labor intensive. In fact, I am getting close to where they will be going into hurry up and wait mode soon, where all that is to be done is keep them watered and in good lighting. At least, that gives me breathing space for other projects.

And here is a moment of sadness. Bubblegum Plant:04 just decided to up and die on me. Haven't figured a reason why yet unless it was just shitty lighting, since I had been doing my best to keep up on the watering; perhaps overwatered and root rotted? Who knows?
Bubblegum-04.JPG

Still have two active, though they are looking pretty anemic. Still working on getting some good lighting set up throughout the house; just hope I don't kill all my subjects by then.
Bubblegum-05.JPG

I'll get a replacement going soon; no huge rush, really. Want to get things tidied up and organized better before getting too much more stuff going (weed and various flowers and veggies, and other stuff). Haven't even started on sunflowers yet.

And now, as of 2023-03-28, my 7th Bubblegum, the timelapse subject, designated S:06 (I have them numbered 00-10) has given up the ghost. Here is how she was at her "peak" (which granted was very unimpressive...) 3 days before...

TL2023-00-BG-0028.JPG

And then on the 28th for the second to last timelapse frame...

TL2023-00-BG-0029.JPG

That was second to last, because I made a final sad frame as well...

TL2023-00-BG-0030.JPG

But all is not lost, as I did have 4 Bubblegum seeds remaining, and immediately started 2 of them, both of which sprouted about 40.5 hours later (noticed when I checked on them at 4:20 in the afternoon on the 29th...Timing was mere coincidence).

Hopefully :07 and :08 will fare better when they get planted. One of them will go into the Not a Pringles Canister S:00 was in...00 apparently died upon transplanting. Go figure. I'm thinking that :07 will go directly into a 5 gallon bucket when the time comes to plant, so :08 gets the canister to grow in until planting time, either in the cage outside, or in a bigass planter that can be shuffled around as needed.

Starting to wonder if in addition to a very small number of seeds; another indicator that one's seeds may be feminized is a high seed and seedling mortality rate? Kinda makes sense considering feminized seeds are effectively the ultimate in inbreeding, a genuine fucking of one's self so to speak. I think that will be a topic for another part of the forum though. 2 minutes from 4:20 and time to toke.

Will take very careful care of these two that sprouted, and can hopefully get them big and healthy enough to where I can pull cuttings off them around mid July in order to keep the line going. Likely will magic silver solution some of the flowers on at least one as well to make more feminized seeds too; since any plants that make it to June planting will be deemed strong and worthy enough to propagate. :)

And now the 4/20 update for the Bubblegum Project...

11 seeds total in the Bubblegum bud (only a couple bowls left and am not seeing or feeling any more seeds, so assuming 11 is the final count (numbered 00-10). 00 through 08 all sprouted in a decently short time. But damn, the mortality rate on these. Still seriously believe that is a good sign the mother plant self pollinated and the seeds are feminized (so just like with the Bitter Sweet Pie, I am not going to try sexing in advance; at least not intentionally.)

07 and 08 are the only survivors of those I sprouted, 09 and 10 are standing by. Hopefully I won't need to finish off the batch and these two will make it.

Bubblegum-09.jpg

Just a day or two ago, 07 had been in a "flopped" and super wilted state from the neck down, crown was still verdant though. So I went ahead and moved her to the Rookery table, where my photo work gets done, and put under the CFL lamp being kept there. I propped her up against her marking stick, and as of this morning (now 4/21, since I started this update last night), she does seem to be almost able to fully support herself vertically. Let's see if she continues livening up, eh?

Bubblegum-10.jpg

Meanwhile, 08 is doing alright in her Jiffy Pot. Just need to keep up on the watering, since things in JPots seem to dry out faster than normal for some reason.

I may still go ahead and start S:09 soon, perhaps 1st of the month. Going to try to save S:10 for the "archives" though. Just trying not to let this line of pure girls go "extinct" in my inventory, as I am not ready to go actually purchasing seeds from elsewhere.

If all goes well, then eventually one or more will get the colloidal silver stuff on a few buds to self pollinate. We will see how it goes.

Well, looking okay at least. Just going to take some good TLC to make sure they stay strong and healthy.

I swear, these (and the Bitter Sweet Pies) vs. my non feminized seeds (Wildlings, Feyleafs, and Birthday Cake Lites) are like roses vs. Dandies...

7z4wf1gwozu41.jpg

Heh. Learned the term social finger from Ermey himself, on an episode of Mail Call where he was answering a letter about how to properly salute.

Got a small...or actually not so small update on this journal as well as a few others, coming up. Just need to do a few retakes now that the rain has stopped.

So, as off now, both girls are looking good. :08 was just growing and developing so slowly, I went ahead and upgraded her, JPot and all, into a larger planter. I think she got as far as she could conceivably go in the tiny Jiffy Pot.

Bubblegum-12.jpg

She was put out there like 2 or 3 days ago, and seems to be doing fine there on the back deck with partial sun. I guess I should get a companion or two planted with her soon. Looks like she will be the secondary for this grow, because her older sister, :07...Well, see for yourselves.

Bubblegum-11.jpg

This one has well earned her place as my Bubblegum primary, and will be transplanted into a 5 gallon bucket to become an outdoor/indoor plant throughout the season, and will also have cuttings taken of course. She has had a couple near death experiences now, but has come through them all fine, so my project name for her will be Bubbles, the Drama Queen... This one, or a clone of her, will also get the colloidal silver potion on select buds to ensure more seeds from her lineage. Are the buds that don't get the stuff still usable, or does that taint the entire plant?

Anyway, that's all for this update, Bubbles should get her upgrade soon. Now to work on updates for the other journals...

Small update here.

Both Bubblegums ended up getting pollinated by the same Birthday Cake Lite that pollinated his sister. I will be calling the seeds from these girls Bubblegum Lite, since they are only half breeds. That is the one in the 5 gallon bucket and the center one. The one on the right is the Birthday Cake Lite. And since she got pollinated by a BCL brother, I believe that qualifies for a Name and Claim. The seeds are still considered half breeds, so they won't be true Birthday Cake. Instead, I will call them Birthday Spanking.
CNX2023-0-BG-Lites-Birthday-Spanking.jpg

Also started one of my remaining Bubblegum seeds not too long ago and it sprouted a couple days later. I went ahead and planted it directly in a 5 gallon bucket, along with a yellow African Daisy that had recently sprouted.
CNX-2023-1-BG-and-Daisy.jpg

This one will begin my main post season project, which I designate CNX2023:1, and will become an inside girl and ultimately spend most of the Winter in the downstairs bathroom here, once we replace the ventilation fan in there, move the blurple lights from the grow room in the basement, and put the small radiator heater in there. And hopefully, she will get to where I can try again to take some cuttings (still zero success getting any cuttings to survive) as well as do the silver solution trick to make her self pollinate. For now, though, she can stay out on the front porch, at least until freezing weather is looming.

As a general update, the 2 Bubblegums combined generated 1/5 of an ounce, and I think I will have a bowl before bed tonight. It is okay that they didn't produce all that much though. The important thing is that together, they produced plenty of seeds, two of which are already started. They are Bubblegum Lite of course, since they were pollinated by the Backyard Birthday Cake Boy, so not pure Bubblegum. That's fine though. I would rather the BG line be kept going this way, that risk having it go extinct on my by my last pure Bubblegums never making feminized seeds or successful clones.

The Bubblegum Lites will remain under the Bubblegum project, though if I get a breeding pair of siblings, they will get a new name, though it will be related to Bubblegum; perhaps Gigglegum? We will see when the time comes.

Seeds are designated RPCNBGLT:2023.

One of the seedlings died on me and its replacement just sprouted last night.

Also, I may have killed the pure Bubblegum from neglect and derpiness. Fortunately, I do have 2 seeds remaining from the 2022 grow, and at least one looks healthy and mature enough to be viable. The other is much lighter color, so probably was not mature when taken. Still, may as well get both started together soon and see if I can keep the pure Bubblegum line alive.

I also realized it was nearly impossible to distinguish the bud from the trim. But since both the bud and trim are smokable, and there is such a tiny quantity of both, I went ahead and mixed them together. So this is the only one that does not get a Pixie Dust component.

So yep, the BG in the 5 gallon bucket is dead, as is the companion yellow African Daisy that was sharing the bucket with her. At least the rescued bell pepper seems to be alive and has a couple fruit slowly developing.

Since I do have a couple pure Bubblegum seeds remaining (one of which will get started in the not too distant future), and a buttload of BG Lite seeds on hand, the Bubblegum project will remain open at least until I am out of pures, and the Lites have been bred back into a pure with a new, but related name. Next pure BG will probably get started in January, to open the annual main grow journal, which will of course be CNX2024:0. In fact, I will likely just go ahead and start both my remaining pures then.

And here is the very underwhelming shot of the results. The seeds were the important part, of course this time around.
CN-2023-Bubblegum.jpg

2024-02-25 / 12:15

Alright, carrying on the Bubblegum journal with the Bubblegum Lites that were generated by the 2 Bubblegums that got pollinated by a Birthday Cake Lite.

So anyway, just posting for now that of all the Bubblegum Lites I currently have going (6 total), I have started 3 of them on a flowering lighting cycle of 14 hours dark and 10 hours light (D to L running from 22:00 to 12:00). That is S:01, 02, and 03. S:00 was the one that went 14/10 upon planting, and S:04 and 05 need more time to mature a little more. Hopefully that one will get to remain S:00 and be the primary out in the cage come June.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-26.jpg

I am also hoping for at least one boy for my double cross project; wherein a Bubblegum Lite boy pollinates a Bitter Sweet Pie Lit girl and a Bitter Sweet Pie boy pollinates a Bubblegum Lite girl, resulting in 2 new Wildlings, which will then become another 2 new pure name and claims.

Back
Top Bottom