Side Journal: Another Sexed Within 33 Days Attempt

Ravenplume

I failed at this last time, but the possibility of having plants sexed within 33 days has come up again (wish I knew the original discussion). This time, I am doing this in smaller waves, like 4 at a time. For this first batch of 4, I am doing 2 freshly planted Wildling:01/2023 sprouts, one Feyleaf Lite:2023, and one Birthday Spanking-Pair:0/Gen:00/2023.

33 Day Challenge-00.jpg

I am putting them immediately on 14/10 lighting (220:00-12:00 in the dark, and 12:00-22:00 getting proper lighting). Allegedly, within 33 days, sex should be apparent, and then they can get sent back to veg. 33 days from now will be 07-FEB. Updates will be posted if anything of interest happens.

So, first dark cycle done. Not really much to show of course.
33 Day Challenge-01.jpg

Was able to make space for them among the couple Bubblegum Lites and the trio of Hungarian Wax peppers upstairs.

One week later...
33 Day Challenge-02.jpg

They are doing alright, stretching and chasing the light for now, until I set up better lighting for them. Been trying to keep the dark/light schedule 10 pm to noon, though I have forgotten a couple times to wake them up until noon or 1:00 in the afternoon. That just meant a shorter day cycle for them those days; probably not going to have any negative effect.

I Also went ahead and started everything that still needed planting on the 14/10 cycle, now that I have seen that the first four are going to make it. Didn't realize how many I had, with samplings of each strain represented (other than the pure Bubblegums).
33 Day Challenge-03.jpg

At least now that I have all cannabis sprouts planted, I can finally give attention to the various chili pepper sprouts that need to go into dirt.

3 weeks plus change into this...
33 Day Challenge-04.jpg

My first four may not be much to look at, but they should make it to the 7th, which is the 33 day mark. Figured it is nice enough today, currently 53 degrees, that the elder ones can get some sunshine out on the front porch for a few hours, along with my oldest and best Gold Nugget squash. Nothing really to report on the second batch that got on the 14/10 dark/light cycle a week later, other than there was one casualty due to my carelessness. Fortunately, replacements are simple to make.

It seems, in my stupidity, I misunderstood how this was supposed to go, and somehow missed that they were only supposed to be on the flowering lighting cycle for only 10 days. So as of now, both groups are back to Wake Up to Bedtime lighting. They aren't looking that healthy, though the first group fared a bit better than the second.

33 Day Challenge-05.jpg

Here's that first group, a Feyleaf Lite, a Birthday Spanking from Breeding Pair 1, and a pair of Wildling:01 Once I find just the right lighting set up, I should have them recovered from this ordeal in no time, and possibly even have them sexed before they can reveg.

And here's the second group...

33 Day Challenge-06.jpg

The Birthday Spanking in the Jiffy Pot didn't do too bad, about like it's elder siblings from the first group.

These fared a little better than the above 6 pack. I think before I work on their lighting needs, I should probably bolster their dirt.
33 Day Challenge-07.jpg

That Birthday Spanking in the Jiffy Pot has now assumed its position in one of the most coveted spots...

33 Day Challenge-08.jpg

I'm not giving up quite yet on this 33 Days thing; no, not quite yet. In fact, that Bubblegum Lite and Bitter Sweet Pie Lite that sprouted this morning as shown in my latest journal, will be going in Jiffy Pots in a few days and put on the 14/10 schedule. But this time, only for 10 days tops.

Now at the 33 day mark from when the first batch got going.
33 Day Challenge-09.jpg

Still no real indicator as to whether or not they are in flower after all that time, but I'll just keep taking care of them best I can and see how they develop from here.

Second group that went to 14/10 on 12 January aren't looking that great either. In fact, 2 of them up and died on me recently.
33 Day Challenge-11.jpg

Of the remaining "6 pack", only one Feyleaf survived, though the four pack are all alive and accounted for at least.
33 Day Challenge-10.jpg

The 4 pack joined the surviving Feyleaf in the 6 piece drip tray, and all have had their dirt built back up.
33 Day Challenge-13.jpg

Likewise, the first group has had a dirt bolstering as well.
33 Day Challenge-12.jpg

That's it for now. Just remembered it is now time to take the Bitter Sweet Pie Lite and Bubblegum Lite that I started on 14/10 last night for the journal focusing on them. Sure, almost 2 hours late waking them up, but that is better than 2 hours late putting them to bed, I reckon.

I wonder whether the 33 days is contingent on reaching a certain growth point.

Plants thriving with everything they need can grow very fast. I say that as I grow outside and I usually put the germinated seeds into pots outside from the getgo in early Spring when there isn't much light, and I notice my plants take much longer to reach the same milestones as folks who grow indoors. There are plenty of growers here whose plants at 33 days old reach growth points far sooner than mine. If they need 33 days then I'd probably need at least 50!

A couple of years ago I tried putting the newly potted germinated seed inside the garage by the solo window, thinking they'd perhaps benefit from more warmth, but there wasn't enough light and they all stretched terribly and started collapsing on themselves. After that I went back to potting them straight outside where the wind/breeze toughens them up a bit too.

Your's look pretty stretched, I wonder if they could do with more light? And if they are being held up growth wise from less light will you need to adjust the evaluation mark to more than 33 days? I dunno, I have never tried this approach, but it's just thought.
:passitleft:

They have definitely just been chasing the light, yes. Really need to go fetch the blurple lights I bought when I was just getting started from the defunct grow room in the basement, and probably get them perma hung up over my photo table with a nice white one between them. Just been extra lazy lately.

If my understanding of the 33 days thing is right, doing this properly would have them showing what they are by the time they get their crown, or the first node or two. That is at least the idea I am basing my acts of mad half-assed science on.

Bleh. Had another couple casualties from the second group.
33 Day Challenge-14.jpg

A Bubblegum Lite and a Wildling-00/2019 bit the dust on my. And the Feyleaf on the end there isn't looking too healthy either. I will at least give it a crutch to try to keep it vertical as I attempt to engage in necroplantsy to bring it back from near death though.

And another pair of casualties this morning.
33 Day Challenge-15.jpg

Both of these were from the second group, a Feyleaf, and if I remember right, a Bubblegum Lite.

One Wildling-00 remains from that set and is still doing fine.
33 Day Challenge-16.jpg

And a couple days later, that Wildling:00 is no longer doing fine. :(
33 Day Challenge-17.jpg

And I do believe, that is the proverbial it for the 6 pack from the second group. I will be doing a straight up Wildling journal soon, I think, covering both -00/2019 and 01/2023. However, that is likely in another day or two as I am about to start The Birthday Spankings (derived from Birthday Cake Lite and Wildling-00/2019) Voodoo Botany journal under the main Birthday Cake or Birthday Cake Lite journal. Can't remember if I started it with the original pures or the lites. Will sort that out later.

I'm going to close this journal, since I really lost track of it. Will take some time to sort out what now has gone through flowering lighting and what hasn't. Will work on that later. Opening a sequel journal to this one instead, which will have far fewer subjects and which I will maintain much more carefully.

So that said, this journal is closed and can be moved to the Closed Journals section.

Waiting until the pair are actually ready to go in their Jiffy Pots before starting the new pocket journal. For now, they are covered in the BC Lite journal.

Back
Top Bottom