Voodoo Botany - Just Documenting My Journey

Ravenplume

Starting a little journal dealing with 2 half breed strains as part of my Voodoo Botany and Noobs Helping Noobs projects that I am slowly trying to get off the ground. In the process, I am also developing a silly little experience and leveling system for growing (and that can and will extend past just cannabis, of course, though will keep it confined to Weed for this site.

To kick off my Voodoo Botany and Noobs Helping Noobs projects, I am going to do a cannabis grow journal featuring two half breed strains, aka Lites. By the end of this journal, if you are engaging in the experience and leveling system I am developing for this hobby, you should be able to claim Level 2 as a grower for 2 different strains, with at least 2 bonafide name and claims of your own. And if you are leveling both a Sativa and an Indica (ruderalis will come on the scene in later journals), you should be able to claim Level 1 in cannabis in general, as my specifications I am working on require at least 1 Sativa and 1 Indica brought to L:1 specifications, plus a third of any primary subclass (sativa, indica, ruderalis, or hybrid) I am decreeing autoflower strains a subclass as well, but we will call them a secondary subclass and will come into play at more advanced levels. Since this journal will entail actually growing and breeding, it will cover at least 2, possibly 3 growing seasons (unless I manage to have some success on indoor bucket grows, then perhaps a slightly shorter time frame.) Our subjects are Bitter Sweet Pie Lite and Bubblegum Lite.

NHN Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-00.JPG

I started these yesterday, 2024-01-31 around 11:00 in the morning with 4 of each seed (have them sharing their germinating napkins with some bell peppers that it is time to start). No sprouts yet, of course, but should see results in a couple days, I would expect.

They are also half siblings, their pure Bitter Sweet Pie and Bubblegum mother plants having been pollinated by the same Birthday Cake Lite boy, which came from a pure Birthday Cake that was pollinated by one of my own Wildling-00:2019 boys, which itself came from a Tardis Lite girl and Sour Banana Sherbert Lite boy, opportunity seeds found in purchased bags of Tardis and Sour Banana Sherbert respectively back in 2018.

This journal's ultimate objective is to re-create and document the procedures and processes I used to create my first Wildling seeds, followed by my first actual name and claim; which happened with the 2023 harvest (and a couple others on the way come next harvest). Since the seeds I started with were Lites, meaning simply a known half breed, that is where I will be starting this journal. My first short term objective is to get one of each seed grown out to what I call Level:0 specifications; with a healthy looking crown and at least two nodes, aka 2 levels of fan leaves, like this specimen of Bitter Sweet Pie Lite...

NHN - Plant at L0 - Cannabis.JPG

At that point, your plant should be on the road to survival, and can even be sexed. In fact, come 22:00 tonight (2024-02-01) I am going to start it on its first 14 hours of dark, which has become my standard for forcing flowering, and get it sexed. If the above ends up being a girl, it will get promoted to S:00 and actually become the primary for the Bitter Sweet Pie Lite main grow. If it ends up being a boy, then it gets tagged for the breeding part of the project. There is also a small chance that one of the 4 I started yesterday (2024-01-31 / 11:10) could end up being the primary, if that S:03 ends up being a boy. Likewise, one of the 4 Bubblegum Lites just started could also conceivably become the BG Lite primary. That, by the way, is the second objective for this journal, a full (and hopefully unseeded) grow of one Bitter Sweet Pie Lite and one Bubblegum Lite

The third objective is propagation and breeding. And in fact, if this goes according to plan, We should have not 1, but 2 brand spanking new Wildlings; BSPLT(f)+BGLT(m) and BGLT(f)+BSPLT(m), which should each be only 1/4 of each named strain (aka Bubblegum and Bitter Sweet Pie). And once we have created the seeds and smoked the bud from the 2 lites, and then get the new seeds grown to L:0 specifications, we can actually claim Level 1 on both Bitter Sweet Pie and Bubblegum.

At this point, we should be wrapping up the first season and starting post season work, including starting the entire process over with at least 3, if not 4 each of the two new Wildling seeds. And if I can manage this properly, a fourth objective could conceivably be achieved before the start of the next season; and that is breeding sibling seeds from the Wildlings together to make a pure strain, aka a name and claim. And if I don't manage to achieve this in post season, then it will be a goal for next season. And at that point, we can claim Level 2 on both Bitter Sweet Pie and Bubblegum

But we are not done yet. Once we have our G:00 seeds, there will be a fifth objective of making feminized seeds from a couple G:00 plants, as well as breeding a pair of each to G:01. That will be the sixth objective. And then I think I will ultimately go ahead and do one last major objective before calling it good on this journal, and that will be breeding a pair of BSP Lite siblings back to a pure as well as a pair of BG Lites. By then, I should have suitable names for them, since I do not think it would be accurate to just call them Bitter Sweet Pie and Bubblegum, due to fully half of their lineages not being BSP or BG. I am going to call that the seventh objective, but it could happen at nearly any point in the grow.

Once they have sprouted and are ready to go into dirt, the first of each will be put in a Jiffy Pot and immediately put on the 14/10 Dark/Light cycle for the 33 Days thing (allegedly they can be sexed within 33 days or so if kept on a dark/light schedule that is typically for flowering. Second of each will also get a Jiffy Pot, but will be grown under normal vegetative lighting. Third of each gets a Pringles (or as I call them, unless they are Pringles; Not A Pringles Canisters) to grow up in. And the final of each will likely get a small Dollar Tree planter like the one that is about to get sexed is in.

Bitter Sweet Pie Lite and Bubblegum Lite Basics

Here are the core stats on the two strains we are dealing with in this journal.

Name: Bitter Sweet Pie Lite
Subclass: Sativa Dominant
Mother Plant: Bitter Sweet Pie
Mother Plant SC: Sativa
Father Plant: Birthday Cake Lite
Father Plant SC: Hybrid Indica/Sativa - 50/50

Name: Bubblegum Lite
Subclass: Indica Dominant
Mother Plant: Bubblegum
Mother Plant SC: Indica
Father Plant: Birthday Cake Lite
Father Plant SC: Hybrid Indica/Sativa - 50/50

I do not have any other vitals available on these, and really can't afford to have any samples sent away for analysis at this time.

And as of this morning, one of each has sprouted.
NHN Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-03.jpg

And remembering how quick these tend to grow after sprouting, I will likely be planting these 2 in their Jiffy Pots and get them started on the 14/10 cycle come Monday.

Oh yeah, a couple other bits of probably unimportant data, or perhaps it can be useful info, who knows?)

The germination towels and their baggie were kept out in the open on my photo table upstairs, not but in a dark drawer or anything like that. Temp up there has been a balmy 66 degrees.

And the other bit of minutia, Time To Sprout (TTS as I call it) was close to 2 days. In fact, it is close enough, we will call it 48 hours on both of them. I think I will try to keep track of sprout times on all cannabis plants this year and see if I can come up with a good average for each strain. Could be useful info further down the line, perhaps.

As of 23:00, a 2nd Bubblegum Lite has sprouted. so if I want to, I can at least expect the BGLs to get their J-Pots and start one on the 10/14 cycle come Monday
NHN Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-04.jpg

Most likely though, I will wait until the first two BSP Lites are ready to plant, and I figure the second one will likely be sprouted by some time tomorrow.

So that is 60 hours TTS for this one.

And as of around 07:00 this morning, the second Bitter Sweet Pie Lite has sprouted. So now, guess we are looking at either a Wednesday or Thursday planting for all 4 subjects.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-05.jpg

TTS: 68 hours

Yeah. Peppers as well as most everything else I have experimented with can be sprouted in a damp napkin.

In fact, I really need to get all my napkin sprouts finally planted really soon (possibly even today). There's a buttload of peppers of different types (is it odd that I am actively collecting different peppers?), Delicata squashes and Early Sugar or Pie pumpkins, and the biggies that are way overdue: a pair of Green Sprouting Calabrese broccolis and a Romanesco broccoli.

Sounds like a heck of a garden this spring! 🥰 Have you ever had your peppers cross breed? I don't know how that all works, however last year I planted mammoth jalapenos, green bell peppers and plabano peppers relatively close together. Their stocks became one main stock and all the fruit shared certain characteristics of the other peppers. Such as The bells were spicy hot.
I'm sure your garden is gonna be amazing, both of them!! 💚

This is only our 2nd year seriously working with peppers, sweet and spicy. Last year was just the initial getting our feet wet and figuring out the basics, with the three biggest successes being the Serrano, Jalapeno, and Hungarian Wax out front and a couple generic red bells plus a Red Baron bell out back. Was mildly disappointed to learn that except for some of the novelty ones, like the purples, whites, and chocolates that you can get in like the Ferry-Morse Grand Bell mix, all the traditional colors ultimately do ripen to red. Heck, so far, it is starting to look like most peppers of all types ultimately ripen to red (first discovered this with the Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers, which I now just call Hungarian Wax, and those yellow chile peppers I asked about a while back (Carib or Caloro) have gone to orange, and I expect the last one to hit red before too long.)

For the actual nomming grow, I am going to try my best to avoid cross pollination. And from what I have deduced so far, it should be fairly doable, even with the small plot my property is. Peppers are considered to have perfect flowers, which fairly quickly self pollinate, so the more distance between plants, the less chance of them managing to do the dirty together.

With that in mind, I will be confining the spicies to the front yard.
Front Yard.jpg

That entire side of the yard is going to get tilled up, then the grow space will be extended a couple feet (rest gets fresh Kentucky Blue Grass to choke out any remaining rye grass we put down last year before learning that we did not want rye grass.)

I'm hoping to have at least 2, if not 3 rows of alternating pepper and squash of some sort, and most likely a trio of jalapenos in that planter box out on the strip, with the subjects specifically being from seeds taken out of the sampler my cross the street neighbor gave me last year to try out. It was okay, and went fine on a slice of pizza, but he should have let it continue ripening (way too soft and squishy). Seeds are viable though.

Anyway, I think just that degree of separation, plus the different types often flowering at different times should reduce any significant chance of cross pollination.

I do have some aspirations of engaging in mad science with peppers though, making what I call trick peppers, pretty much like you described; a nice innocuous looking red bell with a surprise bite back... Got plenty of names already in stand by to use depending on how hot, with my penultimate being the Hell's Belle... :) For that project though, the peppers will be grown together in planters like this one...I call them pepper pots since that was what most were used for last year.
Pepper Pot.jpg

Will likely also do individuals in those Dollar Tree planters like the lemon tree next to the pepper pot is in. Heck, my Hungarian Wax last year made its first fruit while in one of those, then got transplanted out front to grow and produce a little more.

Enough for now though. Any further, and we should probably take this to the Non 420 Gardening forum.

And as of 13:00, the third Bitter Sweet Pie Lite has sprouted.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-06.jpg

And that one is the runt of the batch. I had it pegged as least likely to sprout. It is now most likely to go in either a Not A Pringles Canister if it's a boy and 5 gallon bucket if a girl.

TTS: 74 hours

And as of around 21:00 the 4th Bitter Sweet Pie Lite is now starting to sprout. Still no signs with the 3rd and 4th Bubblegum Lite yet.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-07.jpg

TTS: 82 hours

This morning, we will say 07:00 (07:33 at the time of posting), the third Bubblegum Lite finally sprouted.

As you can see, the first two are definitely ready for planting in Jiffy Pots. They have even shucked off their shells. Planting will be either today or tomorrow, and then I will get one more going, since there is no sign of life on the 4th one at all.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-08.jpg

TTS: 118 Hours

As of 11:00 hours...

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-09.jpg

I am going ahead and getting the first 2 each BSP Lite and Bubblegum Lite into their Jiffy Pots. The rest can wait a tad longer.

The pair up front will be going into a drawer for the next 2 weeks and be getting 14 hours of dark and 10 hours of light, while the other two grow up normal. So using a shishkabob skewer from Dollar Tree, we just bore a hole into the middle of the dirt (wiggle it around a bit to widen the hole, especially if the sprout's tap root is real long, which makes it a little less clumsy), carefully guide the taproot into the hole and gently tamp it down. Watering is not needed yet, since the dirt got moistened up plenty preparing the J-Pots. Those "popsicle" stick halves that I use as marking sticks are also from Dollar Tree. They call them crafting sticks.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-10.jpg

I am also starting a 5th Bubblegum Lite, as I am guessing #4 there is not going to sprout. If it does, woohoo, another plant. If the replacement sprouts first, the little runt will be tossed out.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-11.jpg

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-12.jpg

So there we have it for now, Bitter Sweet Pie Lite S:03 and Bubblegum Lite S:02 starting in the dark in flowering lighting cycle above , and BSP Lite S:04 and BG Lite S:03 taking a spot in the south facing window in my room for the time being below, at least until I find a better lighting spot for them or we get another string of nice enough weather to have them spend their days on the porch (coming in for the night, of course.) The 2 starting in flower cycle are starting with an extended initial dark period and will not see the light until noon tomorrow. Then they will be on the 14D/10L cycle.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-13.jpg

As of around 11:00 this morning...
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-14.jpg

The 3rd and 4th Bitter Sweet Pie Lite and the 3rd Bubblegum Lite have been planted. BSP Lites in a Not a Pringles Canister and small Dollar Tree planter respectively...
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-15.jpg

and the Bubblegum Lite in a Not a Pringles Canister...
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-16.jpg

All that leaves now is the 4th Bubblegum Lite, which will get a Dollar Tree Planter after it sprouts and grows out a bit.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-17.jpg

Will show off the two that just came out of their first extended Dark cycle tomorrow.

We now have a Bubblegum Lite S:05 sprouted, which was the one I started on 06-FEB, and the little runt has been discarded. Actually tossed it before realizing I needed to do a retake, as the first shots were blurred a bit too much.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-18.jpg

TTS: 69 hours.

2024-02-15 / 10:00

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-19.jpg

Finally figured it was time to get Bubblegum Lite-S:05 planted...

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-20.jpg

So I did.

2024-02-16 / 12:00

The first Bitter Sweet Pie Lite and first Bubblegum Lite are now through their 10 days of 14D/10L flowering lighting and are back to wakey to bedtime veg lighting.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-22.jpg

For now, they will get a spot atop the air conditioner in my room, in a south facing window. I'll find a better spot for them later. Now we see if they show their sex as they reveg...

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-23.jpg

2024-02-25 / 12:00

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-24.jpg

The remaining Bitter Sweet Pie Lites (S:02, 03, 04, and 05, and most of the remaining Bubblegum Lites (S:01, 02, and 03) were put on flowering lighting cycle last night around 22:00.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-25.jpg

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-26.jpg

2024-03-04 / 16:20

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-33.jpg

Both replacement Bitter Sweet Pie Lites are ready for planting, and have been for at least a day.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-34.jpg

The longest one gets the Not a Pringles Cannister that had the previous S:02. This gets to be S:02 until further notice.

The other goes on flowering lighting cycle 22:00-12:00.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-35.jpg

And sadly, we say goodbye to the unsequenced Bitter Sweet Pie Lite that was struggling in a traditional flower pot down in the living room. Cause of death unknown, but most likely the cause was my carelessness and neglect.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-36.jpg

2024-03-05 / 12:00

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-37.jpg

The crown from the old BSP Lite S:02 failed to root after dipping the bleep out of it in Dip 'n Grow. I'm starting to wonder if that stuff is just snake oil, since everything I try with it fails.

Also, Bitter Sweet Pie Lite S:04, which has been struggling to grow up downstairs here for weeks has finally died on me. Not going to start any replacements yet. In fact, no more starts until the Purple Ghost Candy seeds from Seedsman arrive. At that point, I will do a head count of all the surviving plants I have from all projects, and determine then if I should get replacements going or just work with what I have until ready to start some mid season indoor/outdoor experiments.

NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-38.jpg

Back
Top Bottom