Ravenplume Grow Journal 2022 - #2: Bittersweet Pie From Unexpected Seed

Ravenplume

Looks like I get to have a third journal for 2022 after all. While processing the first couple branches of my Bitter Sweet Pie clone today, I actually found a seed. I remembered she had a random pollinating last Fall, but thought we had harvested quick enough to where no seeds would be made, which I think would have weakened her potency.

I am now seeing if I can grow this one out as BSPL-2022-00 (Bitter Sweet Pie Lite-2022. The 00 is just a sequence number in case I find any more seeds in her to grow out.

So to start, just plunking it in a little cup of water under a normal wake up to lights out lighting cycle. This will also become part of my little time lapse video project. Guess first update will be when it sprouts, if it sprouts...

RPGJ-BSP2021-00-0.JPG

I'm pretty sure it is Sativa. I don't think I have ever held or even seen an indica.

“When the Internet is invented, I think it would be really cool if people misquoted me on it.

-- Abraham Lincoln” :rofl: :rofl: :welldone:
Looks like I get to have a third journal for 2022

Where are they at? A donkey wants to know where to find more contemporary quotes from historical figures. ;) (Why not link them in your signature?)

Meh. Probably time to change the sig line. I think I have got what little mileage I could out of this one.

“When the Internet is invented, I think it would be really cool if people misquoted me on it.

-- Abraham Lincoln” :rofl: :rofl: :welldone:

Where are they at? A donkey wants to know where to find more contemporary quotes from historical figures. ;) (Why not link them in your signature?
Lmao people mis quote. Say it's not so Joe lmao..

10 days later and no sign of life. Its 6 sibling seeds are looking like they are probably mature enough to germinate though. However, I am going to "suspend" this journal until probably about mid season, then continue with the next seed as a late season / post season project.

In the meantime, I am going to start up a journal for that one solitary seed I got from my 2020 grow and see what I can make of it.

Though largely unjournaled, the second seed, which I dubbed Amberwing was doing good...

Sadly, it does not look like I got pics of it during this entire time before it underwent a kitty mishap from this little girl...

RPGJ-BSP2021-01.JPG

I suspect that one recent morning, Santana decided to get some Cat TV time in the window on top of the AC unit, and she managed to bump Amberwing and cause a break in the stem. That had to be it, because it wasn't too long before I noticed Amber was drooping really bad. At first we thought it may have been either too much light or too much water, but I am now sure it was from clumsy kitty.

We made a little splint to try to hold it together and keep the life juices flowing, and I buried it below the break, hoping that would also have a bandaging effect, but nope. This one was over and done.

RPGJ-BSP2021-03.JPG

At least we invented the splint hook as a crutch for drooping plants (when it is not caused by something fatal like a break), and will likely have plenty opportunities to use this first aid technique again, either on cannabis plants, sunflower seedlings, or whatever.

So now, as of yesterday, 2022-04-05, I have the next Bitter Sweet Pie Lite started, again in an Alaskan Amber cap like the previous one; and this one when sprouted and planted will assume the Amberwing name for the Pet Project.

RPGJ-BSP2021-02.JPG

That is it for this update. Need to get the video journal update for this processed and sent to my BitChute channel soon, and then get back to working on my Spider plant Pet Project grow journal as well as other general gardening videos.

The new Amberwing has been born as of today; 2022-04-13. This is the earliest I ever managed to catch one in the sprouting phase. Now to let it grow out until long enough to resume its proper place as a house plant.

RPGJ-BSP2021-04.JPG

And looking at the date stamps on this one and the previous one; it seems he took a full 7 days to emerge. And that gave me the idea to add another little task to the X2022 project... New update there soon as well.

Also, it does not appear that I will be able to earn the title of Necroplantser this year.

Not too long after harvest (can't remember if it was before or after the first freeze), we went ahead and put a nice wool blanket over Pixie Pie, the mother plant that was our top performer last year). We were hoping that would keep the remains warm and alive over the Winter.

Last month, as Spring weather started kicking in, we removed the blanket in hopes she would awaken and start growing again. Sadly, for at least the past week, and up until this coming Monday, the lows have been suddenly dipping below freezing, and we have been getting snow regularly; though it melts off during the day.

Pixie Pie - No Necroplantcy Yet.jpg

I think it is now safe to say that Pixie Pie will not be coming back now. In hindsight, we obviously removed the blanket far too early. But who knew Mother Nature was going to say FU to us all of a sudden? I am, in fact, amused watching the grumpings locally on Facebook about still not being able to plant. And I have been unintentionally taunting my nephew who held a funeral for the strawberry starters he decided to plant too early. Been taunting by showing and telling about the strawberry starter we still have on the kitchen table that is already shedding its first flower and will likely have its first fruit before anything gets planted; and am also about to show our two outside strawberries from last year that are actually growing back...

Seventh Street Strawberries - Annotated.jpg

Looks like this project gets to be the one and only that carries over from last year.

At this time, I have two surviving BSPs, that have essentially been in what I am calling a holding pattern, until I can give them the attention they need. One is going to remain an indoor plant and the other will get one of the spots out in the cage this Summer.
CN-BSP-2021.JPG

The mother plant these came from only produced a tiny handful of seeds, like 5 or so. I am going to guess that the mother plant was self pollinated back in 2021, making feminized seeds.

More to follow...

Oh, and that companion there with Plant:2 is just a random common chicory that was dormant in the dirt. Going to grow it out anyway, since it looks like it could be useful and I am trying to get a wide variety of plants under my belt for various reasons.

And now the 4/20 update for the Bitter Sweet Pie Project...

RPGJ-BSP2021-06.jpg

S:1 (on the left) is finally livening up a bit, and will do much better once she is put under better lighting and gets a planter upgrade. S:2 (on the right) has really exploded since I last showed her off. She will be the one that goes out in the cage come June, and get grown out properly to resupply me. Hopefully in July, I will be able to take some cuttings and even have at least 1 rooted and planted in a big planter or 5 gallon bucket to be my breeder, meaning using that colloidal silver stuff to make her self pollinate. I'm pretty confident this one is a girl, due to the facts that there were only a tiny handful of seeds (7 total so far), and they have had a high mortality rate, with these two being the only survivors.

I figure self pollinating is the ultimate inbreeding (literally telling her to go fuck herself), and that can lead to a high number of weaklings. But from what I have been able to pick up, that is the preferred way to get feminized seeds nowadays. Got other Qs about that to ask later.

So, back on the 18th of this month I noticed that all the plants I had sitting on the back deck against the house flowered early. Most likely it was due to the limited amount of sunlight in that part of the yard. One of them was S:1, the one in the plastic juice jug planter. I have no idea how long it had been since they all flowered (the boys were all very heavily laden with pollen sacs by the time I noticed, and the Bitter Sweet Pie, as expected, is a girl. I was hoping to keep this one throughout the year and well into next year, but it looks like she is pretty far along. I am keeping her under 24/7 lighting along with one of the Birthday Cake Lite girls (which had not yet flowered) in hopes of getting her revegged.

Bitter-Sweet-Pie-00.jpg

Will reveg be possible, or is she past the point of no return? S:2, her big sister, is enormous out in the cage, and hasn't flowered yet, thankfully. Tomorrow, we are going to get in there and take cuttings before it is too late, in hopes of keeping the BSP going. Then again, if we are lucky, perhaps she will self pollinate like their mother did back in 2021. Pretty sure I also saw at least one branch that had broken off as well, so will get that cleared out, then trimmed and put in the curing room in the basement to make into a nice bit of Feywood, as I like to call it.

And final Bitter Sweet Pie report for the season.

The main plant gave 18.9 ounces of bud (not counting the samplers I indulged in during the processing, 28.5 ounces of Pixie Dust trim, and an arseload of half breed seeds of Bitter Sweet Pie Lite (pollinated by the same backyard Birthday Cake boy that got the other three plants out in the cage and the Bubblegums on the back deck.)

The one that I was going to try to keep over the Winter simply matured and died in its planter with no seeds, and just a tad under a full bowl of bud salvaged from it.

I am completely out of pure Bitter Sweet Pie seeds, so will continue the BSP line through the Lites; though one of these years I may go actively shopping for fresh pure BSP seeds.

The BSP Lites will get bred back together eventually into a pure breed again, though no idea what I will be calling the offspring. Some will also get bred with Bubblegum Lite seeds to make another of what I call a Wildling, and those Wildlings' sibling seeds will eventually get turned into a whole new name and claim. Leaning toward Wizard Weed for that one, but that can change at my whim.
CN-2023-Bitter-Sweet-Pie-BSP.jpg

Most BSP Lites are sorta struggling, but that is likely due to suboptimal lighting for most, and others are on that 33 Days challenge thing. Tomorrow will be the general report on that.

Anyway, all I want to report now is that I am starting my best BSP Lite, S:03 on its first 14 hour dark / 10 hour light cycle to force it to flower and show its sex. I do believe it is old enough to go through this now.
CN-BSP-Lite-0000.jpg

If my Wildling:01 boy was any indicator, I should expect to see results in 2 weeks or so. And if this one is a girl, it will get promoted from S:03 to S:00, meaning it will be the BSP Lite that goes out in the cage out in the yard late May or early June. Got another 4 started for another journal, but that was covered earlier.

Finally got some feedback on my Bitter Sweet Pie 2023, from the last of my pure seeds. Neighbor across the street affirmed that it worked quite well, and he is likely going to try growing the couple seeds that was hidden in the sampler; which he now knows should be referred to as Bitter Sweet Pie Lite (being a half breed).

I think outside feedback is going to become another objective for each grow. Now hopefully the Birthday Cake Lite I just handed him will get as favorable response. He loved the smell of it, at least. That's something. But that will be reported when the time comes in the Birthday Cake journal...

2024-02-15 / 18:30

For the time being, S:03 has been redesignated S:00, as it is the most developed, and has spent the past 2 weeks under the flowering lighting cycle. Judging by how the Wildling:01 boys and the Feyleaf Lite girl revealed, this one should be showing its sex soon as it slowly goes back to vegetative state.
NHN-Journal-0000-BSP-Lite-BGM-Lite-21.jpg

I feel a high confidence that this one will be a girl, making it the Bitter Sweet Pie Lite primary for the upcoming main grow journal of the year: RPGJCN-2024:0.

2024-02-24 / 10:00

S:00 ended up being a boy and is now designated S:01

CN-BSP-Lite-0001.jpg

It is only a minor bummer though, as I still have good use for him, even though I was not planning yet to simply noble breed 2 BSP Lite siblings back to a new pure. As part of the first Noobs Helping Noobs project, I am going to attempt what I am calling a double cross. That is having a Bitter Sweet Pie Lite boy pollinate a Bubblegum Lite girl, and a Bubblegum Lite boy pollinate a Bitter Sweet Pie girl, making 2 new Wildlings for further future mad half assed science.

Back
Top Bottom