First Grow - Brown Spots on leaves

Chillieman

I am a newbie grower, and i have started 2 little plants, one is about 10 days old and the other is probably 13-15 (idk the actual age of either of them) i had noticed slower growth on the older one, and i decided to transplant both of them to a larger pot (they were in a 9 oz plactic cup to start) i decided to keep the older one in the plastic cup, and simply cut the bottom and let the roots find their way. Unfortunatally i messed up a tad and i cut into a root (maybe a few but i think i only cut one) and i am noticing little brown dots on my first set of fan leaves. Most brown spots (3 brown spots) are only found on one leaf, but today i have noticed another brown spot on the other fan leaf. I am assuming this because i hit the root and the plant is still in recovery (i transplanted about 3-4 days ago) I havnt noticed any brown on the younger one. Both plants SEEM to have stunted growth (Im assuming this is from transplanting)

Here are some facts about my growing:
- I am using Mircle Grow potting mix with time released nuts (I understand i shouldnt get timed released from now on)
- i am NOT testing the pH of the water/soil
- I keep my water out overnight in order to get rid of any chlorine, and to make sure it is at room temp.
- i know i am NOT over watering, because the leaves are not wilting/curling (They are nice and stretched out)
- The older plant started Green (NOT DARK GREEN) and has been turning more yellow-ish over time
- I am using Fluros, one 20W Sylvania Grow-Lux (Standard), one 20W Wide spectrum light (Hanging at 2-4 inches from the plants)
- My temperature has NOT been staying constant (ranges from 70-78 degrees) because my A/C has been broken (fixed now and will stay at about 73-76)
- When i cut the root, I would say that the plant still had 95-98% of its root mass (it was a very small portion of root that i cut)

So im wondering if this is really bad for the older plant to be producing brown spots, and will it be able to recover. In my opinion i am a very caring grower and i have the power to give my plants ALOT of attention, and i do. I would say the only factor that it could be would be the cut root, and the transplant. Other then that, i have noticed the plants growing quite well.

So please ask questions, give suggestions, i just want some FEEDBACK
I am willing to post some pictures if any one seems interested in helping me!

I am a newbie grower, and i have started 2 little plants, one is about 10 days old and the other is probably 13-15 (idk the actual age of either of them) i had noticed slower growth on the older one, and i decided to transplant both of them to a larger pot (they were in a 9 oz plactic cup to start) i decided to keep the older one in the plastic cup, and simply cut the bottom and let the roots find their way. Unfortunatally i messed up a tad and i cut into a root (maybe a few but i think i only cut one) and i am noticing little brown dots on my first set of fan leaves. Most brown spots (3 brown spots) are only found on one leaf, but today i have noticed another brown spot on the other fan leaf. I am assuming this because i hit the root and the plant is still in recovery (i transplanted about 3-4 days ago) I havnt noticed any brown on the younger one. Both plants SEEM to have stunted growth (Im assuming this is from transplanting)

Here are some facts about my growing:
- I am using Mircle Grow potting mix with time released nuts (I understand i shouldnt get timed released from now on)
- i am NOT testing the pH of the water/soil
- I keep my water out overnight in order to get rid of any chlorine, and to make sure it is at room temp.
- i know i am NOT over watering, because the leaves are not wilting/curling (They are nice and stretched out)
- The older plant started Green (NOT DARK GREEN) and has been turning more yellow-ish over time
- I am using Fluros, one 20W Sylvania Grow-Lux (Standard), one 20W Wide spectrum light (Hanging at 2-4 inches from the plants)
- My temperature has NOT been staying constant (ranges from 70-78 degrees) because my A/C has been broken (fixed now and will stay at about 73-76)
- When i cut the root, I would say that the plant still had 95-98% of its root mass (it was a very small portion of root that i cut)

So im wondering if this is really bad for the older plant to be producing brown spots, and will it be able to recover. In my opinion i am a very caring grower and i have the power to give my plants ALOT of attention, and i do. I would say the only factor that it could be would be the cut root, and the transplant. Other then that, i have noticed the plants growing quite well.

So please ask questions, give suggestions, i just want some FEEDBACK
I am willing to post some pictures if any one seems interested in helping me!

Oh my!!! Where to start.....

1. You are NOT testing pH. BIG mistake. At least go get pH strips and earn to use them. They don't cost very much.

2. MiracleGrow, well you said you know about that now. And it is too late. Perhaps someone that grows in soil can speak up on how to counter it.

3. You need more lights. If you could double what you have would help a lot. Though good choice to use two different spectrum lights.

4. 78 degrees isn't too bad, at this time I'd not worry about that.

5. Brown spots are bad no matter what.

Get your pH under control would be the first thing I would do. Add more light. And also search through the forum to find suggestions on dealing with the MircleGrow.

Otherwise good luck, and don't give up. Keep us updated on what you are trying.

First of all i would like to thank you for your response, and i am in the process of finding pH strips or possibly a soil pH meter (depending on the cost, not too much cash to spare). For the time being, i did some pH tests using my pool kit(ph 6.8-8.2) on the water i have been using, and my tap water seems to have a pH of around 8! After leaving the water out for 1-2 nights, the pH drops to about 7.6. i plan to test my soil pH soon using run off water.

Update:
So i have testing the run off water for my soil, and have found out that the pH is bellow 6.8, but i dont know much more then that, its definitally acidic though. should i flush the soil with high pHed water until it evens out to 7 or should i just water with 7.6 water for a long period of time until it evens out that way?

Get a meter of any sort to find out exactly what your soil ph is...I always watered dirt plants at 6.3...again a meter is handy here. You can just get 1 small digi meter to test your feed water (after nutes added of course) and to test runoff with as well. Test strips etc are poor choices for your type of specific needs get yourself a decent pen meter and you'll be on your way.

Looks like I will have to start checking my pH, good info, thanks. First time in dirt, they will be mothers. My actual grow is hydro...but gotta have mothers! Peace!

Back
Top Bottom