First Grow: G-13 Haze From Barney's Farm Outdoor: Harvested

Nicotin

So this is it. After five and a half months of work today is the day I cut my first plant ever. To be honest it's been hard to take it's life after all of the joy it gave me and seeing it grow from seed, I didn't expect the feeling of harvesting would be like this. But let's get on with the details.

This journey started on Nov 1st 2018. The seed was germinated on a 10L textile pot with Biobizz's Light Mix. It was placed on my backyard, which recieved about 3 hours/day of direct sunlight which I know it's not ideal, and I topped the plant after a month and trained it to look like a bush all throughout the grow and it worked almost exactly like I'd imagined it. I used Biobizz's basic nutrients (Biogrow/Biobloom/Topmax and Alg-a-mic) on a regular basis (feed/feed/water schedule) with conservative doses and had no problems with under or over fertilization.

I had to struggle with whiteflies/thrips/aphids on different stages of the grow, this being the most challenging part. I used neem oil every 3 days during veg to control them and placed yellow traps, but after I got into flowering I had to stop using neem oil and the pest really started to be a challenge. What I ended up doing is using the same solution of neem oil with a sponge and washing the leaves about once a week during flowering to control the pest. It was very time consuming and obviously it's not scalable, I lost some leaves but the objective was to keep the pest controlled during the second half of flowering and I'm sure it made a big difference.

Heat problems were also a critical point during the hottest days of summer. Let's get on the with the pictures! I documented every week of the grow but I'll make it shorter:

Day 0:

End of week 4: I had just started to fertilize with Biogrow. As you can see the growth was not that much in the first month, probably due to the pot being too big for this stage and the low ammount of direct sunlight hours.

End of week 6: First train. The plant had been topped the prior week if I remember correctly.

Week 7: Just one week later you could see the lower stems fighting for dominance.

Week 8: First big problem. I had to leave for 5 days and the heat and my city got so hot (over 100°F under the shade) that the stone floor barbecued the roots and the plant got severely dehydrated. The pictures doesn't show this clearly but a few leaves died and others turned yellow/half dead instantly is these few days.

Week 9: The solution was to transplant to the final 30L container (still using Light Mix) and adding mycorrhiza so that the roots got fresh space again and didn't get too hot. I also moved the plant to a location that got sunlight only in the mornings where the heat wasn't that bad and then could rest in the shade the rest of the day. I also started using Alg-a-mic which is recommended to reduce stress and it worked like charm. The plant recovered it's vitality almost instantly after the transplant.

Week 12: Fast forwarding a bit, the training continued and I started to prune the lower parts of the canopy. This was by far the most fun part of the grow; proyecting which branches would be waste and which would be dominant and cutting away all of the useless branches. Now that I saw what happened during flower, I should've cut way more branches and leave only the most dominant colas. I got greedy in a way and because of that some of the buds you'll see afterwards are not really that impressive because the plant didn't focus on them.

Week 13: This photo is exactly one week later. The flowering stretch happened in about 3 days and it was HUGE. A few days after this I saw the first pistils and started using Biobloom/Topmax.

Week 15 (End of W3 of flowering): The buds started slowly forming.

End of W5 of Flower:

(continuing) End of week 5:

End of W7 of Flowering: I had to tie the branches to a stick since the branches were bending too much, risking breakages. Resin started to build up and the woody smell of this straing really started to delevop, but only when handling the buds which was good to maintain discretion.

End of week 9: The colas are everywhere and resin is really starting to build up. The colas are not that fat compared to what I've seen on the internet but I don't really care. Bought a 60x microscope to get a close follow up of the thricome milkyness.

End of W10 of Flowering: First harvest! Half of the plant was cut down prior to a week long trip. Didn't want to take all the risk of rain screwing up everything at the last moment. Thricomes are getting milky but they're not at it's peak. I would say they are at the beggining of the harvesting window. At the beggining of this week the plant was flushed with 2x the size of the container, using 6.5 PH bottled water.

The drying room has an extractor working all day and a fan that turns on 15 minutes every hour and a half to move the aire around. The fan does not hit the buds directly.

A week later (today) the remaining half was harvested. The buds on the right have been drying for a week and that's why they look brown. They seem more fluffy than I would've expected though. This is the total harvest:

Shoutout to @carcass and all of the members that helped me by answering my question on FAQ subforum in my times of need. I will come back with a smoke review after the drying/curing is done.

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_091920.jpg
    IMG_20190406_091920.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 83
Damn...that girl turned into a real monster-Great Job! especially for a first grow-It'll be interesting to see how your next one goes-you've already set the bar pretty high.

You know things are going pretty well when you have to tie the buds up
so they don't break the plant!:bravo:

This is day 10 of curing. The buds are covered in frost and smell like candy, I couldn't be more satisfied about the quality which one of the best I've tasted in long time.

The come-up is definetly sativa like, a lot of energy starts rushing into your body and head which is can be little overwhelming, but after the first 20 minutes or so the indica side starts to channelize the sativa energy and control it, leading the mind into a pleasant, very aware but calm state.

Excelent for having a conversation or doing outdoor stuff.

The smell of this strain is very uncommon to me and the scent is very bubblegummy, woody and candy-like. The taste is not great since it’s been curing for only 10 days and I also think the drying could’ve been better. I’m really thriving to see what this strain tastes and smokes after 2 months of curing, I have faith that it’s true potential is still yet to come. Even though it is at this early stage, I could really tell for the plant structure, fast growth and incredible smell that the genetics behing the G-13 Haze are phenomenal and that guys at Barney’s Farm did an amazing job with this one.

If you’re a sativa person, I would recomend this strain hands down.

This is as far as my phone's camera goes:

Congrats on the harvest !
That should keep you in the smoke for a little while:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom