First Grow in Coco....Im confused and Killing Seedlings! HELP

Rooki Root

Hi Guy's, I'm new to using soil less mix and also to indoor growing. I've had good success outdoors but not anything to get wound up about. Anyway, I germinated 3 feminized NL's using the paper towel in a plastic container method for about 36 hours and they all popped. I put them directly into the soil with each of the half inch roots down and covered about 1/4" deep or so. By the next day they were all three protruding up lifting the seed with them and looking good to me. I built a OSB box and sealed it tight with liquid nails 3'X3'X5'. It has two 5" exhaust fans in the top. One in the side and one in the back, three 2-1/2" intake holes with filters in the bottom sides and back. Painted flat white on the inside, put a 9" fan in, two 150W 2700K all purpose Cfl's, one 200W 3500K Cfl. Here comes the fun part. I put the seedlings inside the box on day three and turned on the lights. The plants had been watered with 20% runoff when I planted them and had just started signs of drying on the top. I made the mistake of doing all this research, having everything I thought I needed, planning out each step, sit the plants in the box, close the door and forgot to drop the lights! Well, the next day when I return the seedlings are as long as your middle finger, popping the seeds off the top and going up. I'm moving the lights down to within 3 or 4 inches at this point but the stem two inches up seems flimsy and is starting to narrow. The temperature stayed around 73-83 degrees F all along but the humidity was low. Im saying 39-48, Im hearing that is low anyway. By the next day the tops of the soil was dry again (Im thinking because the heat and fan combo) and when I went to water, two of them just bent a crease in the stem and freaking fell over! Like boom, I was like what the heck? I never gave any nutes, only gave water that was ph'd 6.3 or so. I picked one back up with a piece cut from a straw and the other I dug around it and buried it back up to its leaves. The following day one died, the next day another, and today It looks like the last one is going too. Im reading that it might be damping-off. Maybe I over watered, or the humidity was too low? I am lost with this deal. Also forgot to mention that I had them planted in small plastic pots about 1.5 quarts or so. After the first died I tried to replant the other two in new pots with flushed fresh coco and perlite. The first time it was straight canna coco. Lights have been on 24 hours a day and I thought the last one would make it but the two sets of leaves are small and immature and slouching. It has been buried up to the top now as well and a few minutes ago I picked around the stem with a tooth pick and when I exposed it I see that it has shrunk to nothing and will die before tonight is here. Any suggestions for the other three seeds I have left? I have just soaked one a glass of water over night and am waiting on it to pop. How should I avoid these problems again? I went and bought 4 100W 6500K Cfl's as I heard the 6500k was better for veg stage.

Also I read some people say not to use a dome on your cup or tray for seedlings when planted. Some say humidity should be around 50-60 %. Some say 30-40%. Like I said, Im new to all this and need some solid advice. Can you place your cup in your box with the light after you"ve planted it root down or should you wait until the leaves show?

For coco, ph at 5.8. I just pour water into the tray at that age and bottom feed them to avoid that very thing, and I start them out in smaller pots - about 3". I water it when it feels half empty.

I have my new seeds in solo cups with the center cups bottom cut out so I could pick it up and put some water in the outer cup to bottom feed. Do you think that would be better? What about humidity, domes, or things of that nature?

Yes, bottom feeding would be better, IMO. As for humidity domes, they aren't necessary for seedlings, only cuttings. I wouldn't trip on the humidity until flowering or unless you're rooting clones.

Back
Top Bottom