First Grow Journal

Bit of an update.

Room humidity is now at a steady 55% might push to 60% but i still need to look into that first.

It looks like we're out of the woods as far as what ever issues i was having. pretty sure it was calcium def. due to high pH. I also learned today that if the pours in the leaves are blocked or stressed can contribute to calcium def as well. Interesting.

What's VERY interesting to me as a new grower is that the last week or so worrying about the problems, i failed to notice that 1 of the kinds i'm growing ( i think it's the chem 4 / sour d ) have not a single blemish in 5 sets of leaves : )
probably gonna be my favorite one to grow hahaha..

just trying to decide if i should pot up to 1 gallon pots or just skip to the 3 gallon bags. not sure what i'd set up for run off water if i used the 3 gallons just yet. actually space is starting to become a concern even though my room is big i'm having a hard time thinking of ways to deal with the run off when they're all in big pots.

I'll post some pics later.

Update Pics. 3 different kinds. maybe 4 there's one that kind of doesn't look like the others I figure i'll be able to identify them a bit better when they're bigger, the sativas are hard to mistake tho, they're all way taller than the rest. got my seeds a little mixed up. also they didn't all germinate.
going to top them after the 6th set of leaves is fully grown. is this correct???

I think the humidity is making the temps go up. a little over 26c . turned up the both humidifiers fan speed.

But they look pretty happy to me. Thanks to the members of 420 mag, i feel like i'll be able to consider my first grow a success! Couldn't be happier : )
20181115_103912.jpg
20181115_103931.jpg
20181115_104012.jpg
20181115_104036.jpg
20181115_104116.jpg
20181115_104135.jpg
20181115_104152.jpg
20181115_104208.jpg
20181115_104233.jpg
20181115_104557.jpg

Transplanted everything into 3 gallon fabric pots today. took forever lol. and i'm pretty much out of coco, so i better get some more before 5 gallon bag time.

Also topped 3 plants that were working on sets 6 and 7. sorry sets 6 and 7 lol.
then tried my hand at tying down some branches on my biggest one. want all those tops to get some light. think it went pretty good.

I'm sure they've had enough for one day, lights out in half hour and i'll give them another little feeding at lights on and post some pictures tomorrow. hopefully they're all happy and healthy.

Rigged my LED lights so they don't twist around anymore. I'm loving them being in a fixed place. Humidity is sticking in between 50 - 60 %

20181116_003823.jpg
20181116_005606.jpg
20181116_004838.jpg
20181116_003839.jpg
20181116_004822.jpg

UPDATE!! OMG!! my best friend happens to work at the water treatment plant here in town and he just brought me boxes and boxes of buffers, made me a solution that i can use to double check if the testers are working, and a super fancy pH tester. I asked him for an ec tester next hahaha.

This makes me happy because his career is water, and water is a very important part of growing. I'm going to bring him into the fold and absorb his knowledge : )

So tonight i come home and realize my room mate left her window open all day long and it was freezing in here. that was 3 hours after lights off when i realized it. so i went into the dark grow room to feel how cold it is because it really pulls the air in. only to realize that one of the humidifiers have a green light on it. In a panic to unplug the humidifier i accidentally hit the ON switch on my timer and my lights came on.
It seemed like an eternity but was probably about 2 seconds tops.

I really hope i didn't just screw up the plants. so sad and a little bit pissed at the roomy for leaving her window open when it's -20c outside. like maybe skip a meal? that was mean but i'm leaving it in LOL.

Room was 13c at lights on. not too horrible but I feel like it was too close to bad zone. also my humidity went all out of whack and had to spend today dialing it in again.

also did some reorganizing of the grow space. added another fan, and changed orientation of the lights. added more chains to the lights to keep them in place the way i want.

plants seem a big droopy today. raised the lights a bit. they're both 24" from the tops of the plants. was also wondering if 400 - 500 ml twice a day was too much watering.
20181117_173012.jpg

Still doing about 350ml twice a day. right now waiting for new nutes trio, been using very little nutrients lately. probably less than 1/4 of the FF grow big because it's not for hydro. 1 ml calmag and 1 tbsp of the big bloom ( worm castings and bat shit) Per gallon. So not a lot of nutes yet. not since i gave them way too much in the beginning lol.

today in the post should be my ppm / ec meter or tdm whatever it is. I'll have to learn how to use it, but that's ok because the new nutes trio should be in today too. GH flora trio. i'll still use calmag with it tho.

but as soon as i get my new meter and nutes i'll be learning how to use it and get a nice light drink mix planned out.

here's some pics

This one is a mystery plant. the one of 14 seedlings that survived my reign of terror lmao. She's very beautiful right now after getting over some issues. been using her for practice. she was my first topping ( that doesn't sound right LOL ) the 2 new tops were beautiful until i broke one right off. I also topped the 4 lower branches, not sure if i was supposed to do that but looks like she has about 10 tops now : )
Also tied down a bunch of her branches to get ready to practice having even tops.

20181119_150422.jpg
20181119_150839.jpg

20181119_150652.jpg

My bi
20181119_150502.jpg

20181119_150457.jpg

20181119_150647.jpg

20181119_150707.jpg

20181119_150711.jpg

20181119_150828.jpg

20181119_150839.jpg

They're all a lot smaller than i think they should be but i'll go with the flow and just try keep them healthy.

Got my new nutes today and gave the girls a nice drink.
it's the GH Flora trio. found a feeding schedule for coco grows so i'm just gonna follow that for a bit and see what happens. just not sure if i need to use calmag plus with it.

the schedule i followed today.

for week 2 (even though the plants are from 3 - 6 weeks old in range)
4ml micro 5ml grow 1ml bloom / gal of tap water. didn't add calmag plus.
the ppm only came up to about 490. the schedule says it should sit from 500 - 700 so it might be because my tap water ppm is only 65.

Was wondering if i can use anything else along side this trio to get better results as the ppm tell my i should be able to fit more in there.

I have a whole set of FF trio pretty much unused and a 4L jug of the Big Grow ( Bat shit ) hopefully i can make use of it one day. Switched because i got the FF trio for regular and the Grow Big ( non hydro ) might have hurt my plants.? lol idk.

Lots of learning to do yet.

also might need help to identify what kinds of plants i have. I had labels and everything then forgot about the labels when i did the first up pot lol.

So i'm pretty sure i can tell what's what for the most part, but thinking i'll need to wait for them to be bigger to really tell them apart.

here's my mutant blueberry close up. the top looks so weird. i wonder what would happen if i topped it. lol.
the only blueberry seed that germinated.
20181119_150924.jpg
20181119_150828.jpg

So feeling like I over fed nutes today. Dialing back to 2.5 ml micro 2.5 ml grow 1 ml bloom and 2.5 calmag plus. This puts my ppm at about 310 that's with tap water. Thinking it might be a little weak for the growth I'd like to see. But I'll use this mix for a bit and see how it goes. At least I shouldn't fry the girls.

Bottom leaves of some of the plants have turned very yellow. I'm sure it's from the lack of grow big when I didn't want to use much before getting proper hydro nutes.

So I'm not gonna panic about that as every looks pretty good for the time being.
20181120_140448.jpg

Besides that I added hanging poly on the front side of the plants so we have more reflection.

Then rigged up a little bubbler for my nutes. Gonna mixed 3 gal at a time and leave to bubble.
20181121_013219.jpg20181121_013210.jpg

Still a little confused about how much nutrients to give and how much ppm I should have. The plants are definitely smaller than they should be.

Still watering 350 ml every 12 hours or so. Haven't tested the run off yet but will soon.

2.5 of each should be pretty good I'm thinking but I'm in town right now and when I get home I will look over my schedule to see about what I was feeding at that stage. Good thing about Coco, if you think you overfead then just give a flush with lower strength and reset your Coco.✌️

2.5 of each should be pretty good I'm thinking but I'm in town right now and when I get home I will look over my schedule to see about what I was feeding at that stage. Good thing about Coco, if you think you overfead then just give a flush with lower strength and reset your Coco.✌️

Thank you so much bro. I'd really appreciate that.
The first 2 feedings i gave with the GH Trio were pretty much full what they called for in the dtw schedule, the plants all look happy still but gonna start half nutes today.
gh flora exp dtw.jpg

Just a couple pics from today. they seem more perky than ever lol. maybe they liked the "too many nutes" recipe LMAO.
started half strength feed today. was just over 300 ppm going in. just under 800 coming out. now to try figure out what this means and if it's a good thing or a bad thing, or neither lol.

I love growing weed so much :D

20181121_143905.jpg20181121_143932.jpg20181121_143945.jpg

Random Thoughts From a Newbie Grower o_O

ppm and ec:
so far all i can tell is ec and ppm are linked somehow. my meter seems to show the ec at about 2x the ppm. So i could know what the ec is just by looking at the ppm. seems like something piled on just to confuse new growers lmao.

Additives and boosters:
so the way i'm understanding thees things is that the majority of them are just another version of what i'm already using, and can't understand the value of them.
But some seem to have some weight in my eyes. an example would be Diamond Nectar, using humic acids to optimize nutrient uptake. these are interesting to me. as a newbie i can still understand the value in it and will probably end up adding Diamond Nectar, Liquid Kool Bloom, and Rapid start to my list eventually.

Lighting:
anxious to see how my plants do under these LED lights i have. they didn't cost me a fortune so I worry that they might not be of high quality, and might effect the end results.
But being my first grow how would i REALLY know that poor yields were the results of the lights? lol. If my first grow doesn't go great there would be many things to attribute that too, so i'll still be in the unknown when it comes to my brand of lights. (Phlizon Newest. 1500w and a 1200w)

Hydroponics:
Pretty sure next grow I'll either be doing way less plants in coco again. or the same amount but i'd be building a hydroponics set up for that. The amount of coco / perlite mix i'll need to finish 10 plants in 10 gal bags is gonna be insane lol. and the feeding is gonna get old after a while hand feeding 10 plants 2 times a day. I totally didn't consider that when i started so many.

Left over Nutes:
I changed nute lines because i didn't order FF hydro and was worried that the grow big would hurt the plants. Ordered GH Trio, but not after i ordered a 4L bottle of Big Bloom ( bat shit ) lol. because the recipe calls for like 10x big bloom that the others in the FF trio lol.
now i have and untouched bottle of tiger bloom. pretty much full bottle of grow big, and 4L of big bloom. Just hoping that i could find a place for some of it in my mix now, but it seems that the GH trio has everything the FF trio has and more.
I might try sell the 4L, IDK.

Random Thoughts From a Newbie Grower, Over for now o_O

Ok if you got 300 going in and 800 coming out that means you have quite a bit of build up in your coco. Next couple feeding I would give each a little flush, just mix your 300ppm solution up and give each one 3 or 4 times the amount you normally would and check the runoff on the back end to see how much It come down. You will eventually get it down to were it needs to be, you don’t want a lot of build up in your coco cause it will end up causing lockout and then all sorts of problems could pop up. You will figure this out in no time, it just takes a little experience and your getting plenty of that now lol.✌️

Back
Top Bottom