First Grow OCD Tons Of Info Follow Me On My Journey!

Highsenberg

What strain is it?

Vanilla OG Kush x 3 Hybrid unsure about what percentage
Link to Seed Info HERE
Barneys-Farm-vanilla-kush.jpg

and G13 Cinderella x3 Hybrid Sativa Dominant
G13-Labs-Cinderella-99.jpg

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? VEG

If in Veg... For how long? I transplanted to Veg 7 days ago

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Hydro

Medium? Hydroton

Size of light? 600w MH

Is it aircooled? Have 8" air pulled from another room and exhausted to the attic.

Temp of Room/cab? Room 66-68 Tent 72-75

RH of Room/cab? 25 - 30

PH of media or res? 5.5 - 6.1 (I only PH up/Down if I hit those numbers i go to 5.9)

Any Pests ? No

How often are you watering? 15 minute Flood every 4 hours Fills in 1 minute 36 seconds Drains in 2min 30

Type and strength of ferts used? Heavy 16 Lineup feeding week 1 at 590

Bucket Size - 3.5 gallon

Medium - Hydroton

# of Plants: 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Highsenberg Experiment!

I am now day 23 into this grow, I originally started out having the idea to do a grow journal from the beginning and that is what I was prepared to do. I then started thinking about how much time and investment that undertaking this hobby was going to take and decided that since I have never attempted anything like this before and since in the past I have killed ANYTHING plant based when trying to take care of it. After all of that careful consideration I decided to focus ALL of my energy on getting everything set up correctly.

The wait was good and bad, it is good because I was able to focus and get everything set up and at the same time I did not have a journal going so if I ran into any issues all you wonderful people could chime in and give advice. I completely respect this community as I am new to it but I can see that the people on rollout that truly grow are the most knowledgeable and helpful people around. It should go without saying thank you all in advance for any assistance, support, encouragement and advice.

For all the flamers and trollers... GFY ... stay out of my journal.

A quick run through my set up, I will apologize in advance but I am very OCD when it comes to passions and projects so I may have too many pictures or ramble on too much. I will try to keep all that to a minimum. So let me load up this bowl right quick......... (Got Jack the Ripper OG.....very tasty)

Unfortunately, I did not have all the funds necessary to purchase the whole set up I wanted so I am piecing everything together as I need them, about a week prior to needing them. I originally was going to start out using a NFT system but ended up choosing an ebb ‘n flow type system. I took pictures of almost the whole setup because I wanted to do DIY tutorials that were super easy to follow for people getting into this. I noticed in my prior weeks of intense research that many of the DIY tutorials were difficult to understand when looking at them from a perspective of having 0 knowledge of growing. So I started taking TONS of pictures of how to do the following but I didn’t take all the necessary pictures but most, I didn’t know if people wanted to hear from a noob about these DIY projects, but I guess if people wanted to see the pics I could try to put the tutorials together, we shall see if anyone wants them, anyways here is the list:
1. Make an air scrubber
2. Run ventilation
3. Build a 1 – 30 site ebb and flow bucket system using 3.5 gal and 5 gal buckets
4. Make the brain for the ebb and flow system (with timer and pumps)
5. Build an enclosure around 8” fan to silence the fan
6. Build special enclosure around 12,000 Btu window a/c to mount it inside sealed room (keep it sealed).
So far that’s what I have had to do in my room and it already has been quite the adventure, and I am only 6 days into veg as of today!......See that was a rant because I should be telling you about my system so…..back on track!

Room:

DSCF02791.JPG

DSCF02803.JPG

DSCF02811.JPG

DSCF02833.JPG

DSCF02841.JPG

DSCF02851.JPG

DSCF02863.JPG

DSCF02923.JPG

DSCF02932.JPG

DSCF02942.JPG

DSCF02953.JPG

DSCF02963.JPG

I have”
2 45 gallon reservoir – Brute trash cans HERE Home depot 44.95 ea.
1 8” max can fan- Amazon- 233.06
6 site ebb n flow bucket setup HERE these buckets 3.25ea – Home Depot I probably can build this system for around 240.00 total parts and everything now that I know how to do it and have the tools. I probably spent closer to 325.00 total when you count the 6 3.5 gallon buckets I screwed up the 2 7 gallon brain buckets and the tools I bought. For 240 that is WAY cheaper than the square blue bucket system my store had I think for about 650.00 or so. This system can be expanded to 32 sites I believe with very minimal costs.
4 x 4 x 8 tent DRT!) Secret Jardin Local 327.00 after tax
3 2 foot CFL – Vegging HERE – Home Depot 24.95 ea.
600w MH Veg Bulb - Amazon - 81.99

Got these 3 in a package from EBay for: 492.00
1000w HPS Bulb -
8” XXXL Magnum Hood –
1000w select a watt Galaxy Ballast

Air Scrubber DIY- 75.00
AC Unit 12,000 BTU Mini Split- Unit 327.00 after tax another 100 in parts to make it DIY Mini Split
Hanna – 213.00 /Blue lab Guardian - continuous meter- I bought both of these want to see which is better, was going to make a comparison thread or video if people might want it, I don’t know.
Air stones w pump – local about 25.00
Reverse Osmosis System 199.99 Costco – Watts quick snap 4 stage RO + I modified it DIY Split RO to also fill Reservoir’s plus connect to sink and ice maker, same thing if you want to see this DIY ask
PH Meter – Local Hanna 44.95
TDS Meter – Amazon – 21.00 manufacturer is HM
Nutes – Heavy 16 Lineup
Solutions to calibrate meters – local 7.95 ea. for 4.01 ph., 7.01 ph. and 12.95 ea. 1500ppm tds solutions
Thermometers – Amazon – 3 @ 12.00
Digital temp gun – Amazon - 56.24
Exhaust hoses/clamps etc. – Home Depot – 200.00
Headlamp – local 14.95 it shines Green so I can go in at night if needed, which I do.
Fans – local – 30.00
3100.00 approx. at this point I added 185.00 in misc. expenses like nuts, bolts, gas, and duct tape… etc.

Still too buy:
Another 6 site 5 gal bucket setup for Grow 125.00
Another Brain bucket setup 120.00
8” Raptor hood – 190.00
1000w Ballast – Galaxy – 220.00
Reservoir – 45.00
2 Water pumps 32.00
8 5g buckets 35.00
¾” Tubing – 12.00
Connectors – 35.00
815.00 More to go, ALL IN AMOUNT….SUPER DUPER GRAND TOTAL = just under 4,000.00
*** BRB!!!!! I just read through what I spent and what I still have to buy in 2 weeks….. Do NOT show my wife and I really need to go smoke again….brb……..

Literally 26 minutes later 3 hits and my wife called and I told her I was doing this and I read her the above line….. HAHA she thought I was in for 5400 plus the 815 I need to spend, so I guess that means I WIN! If this grow doesn’t fail that is…..

I have a 6 3.5 gallon bucket set up with a 45 gallon Brute trash can reservoir. Setup looks like this:

I made the brain bucket myself with a kit I bought online for 120.00 – Nice kit gives you all the float sensors you need and all the boxes to mount the timer onto, plus you get the timer. Check it out HERE…
I decided I wanted to have my hoses connect to the bottom of my buckets to get the most water out of them. My 3.5 gallon buckets sit on top of 2” t x 4”w x 18”L cement blocks to raise them up off the floor to also allow gravity to work with my pumps.
As it sits my veg room is in a DRT Secret Jardin 120 4x4 Tent. I bought this locally because the prices were about the same after shipping. I paid 327.00 after tax. HERE is the Tent.
I purchased seeds from Attitude Seed Bank overseas, I ordered the seeds on 4-18-2013 received them 4-30-13, not too bad for customs. I ordered G13 Cinderella and Vanilla Kush OG, both strains won awards last year High Times I believe. Dropped my seeds into two separate cups of distilled water for each strain, left them in the cup 48 hours and all 6 had taproots! What an amazing and proud feeling to help create life….anyways. Day 2 I put the ladies into distilled water soaked paper towel on a plate that was wrapped in a plastic grocery bag that sat on a heating pad low heat on 30 minutes of 30 minutes 24/7. 2 Days later and VIOLA!!! 6 seeds 6 nice taproots.

Day 5 I xplanted the seeds from the paper towel to the Rapid Rooters I purchased locally for $x Bought a standard propagation dome for the ladies for 25 bucks locally. Here is the dome.
Sprayed dome with distilled water and left on with open vents humidity hit 85%. Left dome on airing once a day for Day 5-7, misted day 5 and day 7 watered every other day. *( A note on the watering, I do not think that I watered enough because the rockwool got very dry, almost brittle on one girl, so I switched to watering once a day. I also read that when you use rapid rooters it is almost impossible to overwater, they are that way by design. I do not know if this is true, just something I read.) Now I have these girls in the top section of my drt120 with the 2 sets of 2 foot lights hanging over them and a fan to move air and strengthen. Well shortly after I watered I realized that I left the damn fan on high, I went back in the room sure enough that weak girl had blown over at the stem. I propped her up with some metal twist tie wire and that made her stand up straight. Come to find out the reason she actually blew over was because I had the light too high and she stretched too thin and fell over.

Wow! Problem solved, thank you local hydro store owner! I moved the light closer and kept a close eye and she got much better, then I over did it and over watered her and she turned to shit again, I almost gave up on her… I figured too much stress she is dead, her leaves yellowed and they curled up right on top of themselves over the next 7 days.
During all of this time fighting with this girl I am running back and forth to every place on the face of the earth getting ________ insert tool, fitting, screws, new room item, info from local hydro store 15 miles away city traffic, AC store….you get the idea.

At this point I feel over whelmed and like if ANYTHING can go wrong it F’ing will!! I had issues with ventilation and having to return the first Tri meter nutridip I got because when my veg light comes on the meter goes haywire—known issue after some research, so I go buy the Hanna quickly and then do some research and people boast about the Bluelab guardian and I start looking into it like what I see and order that also….now I have 3 meters 2 I have to return, but not before I hopefully do a Hanna Instruments HI981504/7-01 213.09 to my door from Amazon Vs. Bluelab Guardian pH, Conductivity and Temperature Monitor got here for 259.98. Let’s see who is better?
As you can tell there are literally 1.76 million different unique things that can go wrong at any time….why would anyone want to do this? HAHA, now I remember!

DSCF03092.JPG

DSCF03082.JPG

DSCF0307.JPG

DSCF03061.JPG

DSCF03051.JPG

DSCF03042.JPG

DSCF03034.JPG

DSCF03021.JPG

DSCF03013.JPG

DSCF03002.JPG

DSCF02991.JPG

DSCF02981.JPG

DSCF02972.JPG

DSCF02893.JPG

DSCF02882.JPG

DSCF02873.JPG

I had major air issues with having my room set up to have a tent in it and then grow in the rest of the room, I figured that out by DIY taking a 327.00 12,000 btu air conditioner that should cool 500-900 sq. ft. it should easily cool my 124 sqft room, I took that and encased it all in ¾” mdf board made separate compartments for the hot exhaust air and separate compartment for the side and large front intakes, the first design was a complete and utter failure, and no one wants to go around talking to AC guys asking them hey listen I am growing ……tomatoes and lettuce…..indoors……I need a system to do x,y,z tell me how to accomplish that goal. It is awkward so I decided to figure it out myself. Flash forward to day 14 of the grow and the AC unit is running super-efficient with the new design the temp in the tent is finally 75 degrees at the canopy after DIY taking a 4” section of the AC cold air out vent and using 4” dryer duct work making only 2 90 degree turns got 66 degree air from the AC unit to directly inside the tent. Then I had to put a 12” fan to blow the hot air the light actually creates (ambient) to the back of the tent where I have a fan pushing air into the room. Making those little changes moved me to 70 – 72 degrees at the canopy…nice. So I am still battling different things but on a much smaller scale so for the time being it doesn’t seem as overwhelming. I just sat back down at my laptop after 3 hours of searching reservoir coolers. I need one and I think I may have designed a way to make one DIY! For around 150 bucks, so that will be a fun project, probably start that one up in the next two weeks. My reservoir temp is at 72 right now and I would like to get that down to 65 – 68, I am thinking 50’ of stainless steel tube for about 65 bucks and then coil that use 25’ coil for res 3.5 gallon water filled bucket in a craigslist mini fridge with a small slow water pump. Maybe I will do this, I don’t know.

I also bought the Reverse Osmosis and converted that system to fill a Brute 44 gallon trash can on wheels to my “atmospheric” or non-pressurized storage tank. I split the R.O system tank feed line to go to a float plunger that will auto stop filling the trash can, when the plunger stops the water from going to the trash can the small R.O tank then fills up, when that fills it triggers the inline auto shut off built into the R.O System. That way you are not making waste water. That was actually a fun little project. Don’t forget to mark somehow to find out where your water level is in your reservoir, I use a piece of PVC that has marks on it so I know how much water is in the reservoir.

So yeah, I am at day 23 and I guess I will continue to journal this grow from here. Thanks for reading and again thank you all in advance for helping or just following along.

Day 24

PH: 5.8
TDS: 690
Res temp: 67.4

Here are the updated pictures of the room, You will see I have been re designing the AC mini Split I made:
DSCF03301.JPG

DSCF03311.JPG

DSCF03321.JPG

DSCF0333.JPG

here are the girls!:

DSCF03351.JPG

DSCF03361.JPG

DSCF03372.JPG

DSCF03381.JPG

DSCF03391.JPG

DSCF03401.JPG

This little girl was very very close to death, i screwed up with her water and xplant. She had only two leaves when I put her into stress. Those leave then folded up on themselves and turned yellow and brittle, I xplanted her anyway, paid closer attention and she is recovering well.

Hey thanks a lot I am trying to do this right so if I run into any issues the pro's in here can easily toss an assist. Thank you for subscribing.

DAY 25

I do not plan on writing in this journal eveyday, but who knows I just might!

Well crap! Apparently my Genius idea of reserving direct post below my original has back fired. I guess you can not edit after a certain amount of time?

Anywho I am testing out a new camera Lets see how she works!

5-25-13_085.JPG

5-25-13_084.JPG

5-25-13_083.JPG

5-25-13_082.JPG

5-25-13_081.JPG

5-25-13_080.JPG

5-25-13_079.JPG

5-25-13_078.JPG

5-25-13_077.JPG

5-25-13_076.JPG

5-25-13_075.JPG

5-25-13_074.JPG

5-25-13_073.JPG

5-25-13_072.JPG

5-25-13_071.JPG

5-25-13_070.JPG

5-25-13_069.JPG

5-25-13_068.JPG

5-25-13_067.JPG

5-25-13_066.JPG

5-25-13_065.JPG

5-25-13_064.JPG

Here is a picture taken with the camera I just sold:

DSCF03391.JPG

One I am testing:

5-25-13_074.JPG

DAY 26

ph 5.5 ---> 5.9
TDS =700
Temp= 66.4

Sunday is my busy day with the girls, I have to change out my reservoir's clean the dirty one.
Sunday is the day I set aside for doing the routine maintenace.

So when I swap out the old reservoir and put the new freshness in there, is there anything additional I should be doing?

Do I need to Flood with clear water, do I need to rinse all the buckets out? I pulled one bucket and there is some residual nutes left at the bottom of the bucket when it does its drain cycle, do I need to wash that out?

Or do I just leave everything and put the new res in and do nothing else?

Amazing Information! Thank you for your reply this will help a ton. Getting ready to load the new reservoir up in a few hours. Thanks again KingJohn

Sunday! Maintenance Day!!!!! Need Pro advice on what may be wrong!! Please respond !

Day 27

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_0061.JPG

Today is room maintenance day, I am going to swap reservoirs, clean the buckets, clean out tent, clean glass of hood, foliar spray the girls, change the girls around buckets.

I also noticed when doing my first cleaning reservoir change that I may be over watering so get ready for an ONSLAUGHT! of photo's. So come on Pro's this is why we do these journals let VOTE on what might be wrong with these ladies!

So here is a photo I took whilst the girls were sleeping ( that sounds wrong) I have it pitch black and use a green led headlamp to take a quick peek.....The one looks droopy and is a little small:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_0151.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_0131.JPG

And here she is with the lights on...Tee Hee:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_001.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_002.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_003.JPG

So what are we thinking this is, I made the assumption I was over watering the girls. They were on a 6 feed a day for 15 minute increments so 5x15x1 thats my mathmatical expression for 5 feedings during lights on for 15 minute increments with an additional 15 minute feeding during lights out. So I just changed the girls to 3x15x1 Feeding 4 times a day (every 6 hours) 3 of those feedings are during lights on 1 is just as it turns to light out. The first feeding is right at good morning lights on time.

I am going to post after this for some other information about Sunday Maintenance Day otherwise called SD Day or Sundance, I am a certain kind of special......

How I change out my 3 Reservoirs

How I Change My Reservoir

So I decided to buy 3 45 Gallon Brute garbage cans 2 are Reservoirs for nutrients one is an "Atmospheric" water tank to store my R.O Water to swap a tank out. The "Atmospheric" Tank just means that I have my Reverse Osmosis filling a tank full of water that has no "backpressure" on it. Just means I had to do more groundwork in the beggining.

So Here is my Brute Water Tank connected to my R.O - This is a temp setup until Friday when I will run the water lines through the attic into my grow room and let it fill there.

The water tank:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_0011.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_0041.JPG

The R.O Pressure Tank

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_0021.JPG

The setup, Float stops the R.O system from over filling Atmospheric tank, which then lets the R.O system continue business as usual.
Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_0031.JPG

I add nutes test with my just calabrated TDS meter. I am using the Heavy 16 lineup, I take the R.O water then add in my Veb B. I then wait 15 minutes whilst the Res is agitated by 2 airstones, then add my Veg A - same thing 15 minutes then add Prime 15 minutes test fix issues always sure to add equal parts spaced apart until 30 ppm under my target ppm. After sitting 15 minutes and settled and tds good I use my PH up to 5.9 - 6.0 and wheel that bad mama jamma to swap out the old res.

I forgot to get my 1 1/2" hose for my sump pump, so trip to the Lowes for me. Anywhoo.....

I decided to get the 5 gallon bucket top wet/dry vac for 25 bucks from local Home Depot,

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_015.JPG

so I could pull out the ladies from the bottom bucket and I could use that to suck up any leftover crap....Looked like this:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_029.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_028.JPG

I sucked all that junk out of each bucket and too my surprise 4 out of the 6 of these babies already had roots about 4 sitting on the bottom of the bucket already! I was very happy with this.

QUESTION 1

These ladies are only 11 Days into veg and have roots sitting on the bottom of the bucket, I had been planning on taking them from veg to flower in about 10 more days, do you think I am going to have a root problem, like clogging or too big of a root ball but not enough space?

I then took the wet shop vac and stuck it on the drain at the bottom of the bucket to suck water out of the brain bucket...I need to re-design the layout of my tent and move the bucket more towards the front or to one of the sides, in back was a bad idea.

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_032.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_031.JPG

A clean bucket afterwards:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_033.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_034.JPG

and because I am OCD....Here is a picture of the old Reservoir I am pulling out of the room:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_017.JPG

Hooray, First Reservoir change ever in the history books!! EPIC MOMENT!

And this is why you clean the glass on your Hood or at least check it out every maintenace day:

BEFORE:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_023.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_022.JPG

This is Charcoal from the active carbon filter ( I originally had the carbon filter inline with heat exhaust from my light but I changed that now)

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_024.JPG

AFTER:

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_027.JPG

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_026.JPG

I used a spay foam soft cleaner and I sprayed it on paper towels outside the room then went in and cleaned the glass...Paranoid about spraying foreign chemicals around the ladies...is that silly?

Reservoir_Change_1_Day_27_016.JPG

Thanks! I figured rolling them around would be a lot easier. I did just get a sump pump for free and bought 50' discharge hose for 9.99 what a great price considering the comparable price for the hose is 2.50 per foot I think at Home Depot. So I wen to lowes and they had the tube for .98 a foot and the ki said if you are going to need more than 10' get the roll of 50' for 9.99.......duh 50' it is.

Lied I just went to Lowe's to get the sump pump hose, and I am getting ready to drain, I wonder how long it will take... Dun Dun Dun........Stay tuned! (That was not quite the cliffhanger I was hoping for, so you can scoot back off the edge of your seat for now)

I would guess that 75/75 or 75/70 would work. The second would be more like nature if that's what you are shooting for. Also free bump to see if a more experienced member may know.

Most people will tell you there should be a spread of about 10 degrees between lights on and lights off for best growth.
My tent goes up to about 80 with lights on and down in the low 70s to high 60s at the end of lights out.

Back
Top Bottom