First Grow: White Widow Autoflower

Hi cooperrein, are you in New Mexico, just wondering bc I saw the NM Hatch sticker on your grow tent and thought to myself maybe she lives in Hatch or in NM somewhere. I’m in Albuquerque myself :passitleft:
Sadly no, though we do spend time out that way due to Philmont. Maybe one day when I can't handle the weather here in Michigan.
I just grow Hatches in an attempt to recreate NM food.

My light finally arrived. Also bought some geoflora veg and bloom for my next grow and another exhale co2 bag. Next week widow #1 is getting chopped, #2 is going to her new home in the neighbors tent and #3 is going into the 2x2. Gonna start 6 zkittlez auto seeds next weekend in the 4x4

20210517_134732.jpg

So I ran into my first problem this grow. After getting the new light, it raised my tent temp from low 70's to low 80's. This caused the pots to dry out faster, and I let widow 3 dry out a little too much. Woke up to droopy leaves, and noticed some purple stems on some of the fan leaves. the purple stems cannot be a nutrient deficiency because I made sure I switched to tap water and I ph every watering, and also added a little calmag last feeding. Its got to be the temp change with the new light. Gave plain water today hoping it will bring her back to life. I knew this grow was going too well

Ok so I think I figured out what went wrong. Rookie mistake, looked up the distance from canopy for this light and the manufacturer said 12 to 18inches for flowering. Wow did I have a major noob moment, I just measured the PPFD and it was over 2k. I just raised the light as high as it goes and got the ppfd down to around 1200 so with my Co2 that would be fine. Its amazing how I planned everything out for this grow, and even took precautions for certain things but didn't even think about the light intensity going from a sf1000 to an sf4000. Hoping this fixes the problems and I wake up tomorrow morning to perky happy plants.

Ok so I think I figured out what went wrong. Rookie mistake, looked up the distance from canopy for this light and the manufacturer said 12 to 18inches for flowering. Wow did I have a major noob moment, I just measured the PPFD and it was over 2k. I just raised the light as high as it goes and got the ppfd down to around 1200 so with my Co2 that would be fine. Its amazing how I planned everything out for this grow, and even took precautions for certain things but didn't even think about the light intensity going from a sf1000 to an sf4000. Hoping this fixes the problems and I wake up tomorrow morning to perky happy plants.
The temp change didn't cause it. It was the change in light intensity

The temp change didn't cause it. It was the change in light intensity
Yeah I didnt realize I had it hung too low, I went by the manufacture recommendations and it said 12 to 18 inches in flowering but that was way too much light

Update: plants seem to be adjusting better under this new light. Raised to 30 inches and dimmed to 80%. Widow 2 was accidentally topped and I'm not expecting much from her. She started showing some cal deficiency which is probably due to the coco medium, I should've added calmag earlier on number 2. Number 3 was just lollipopped and she is looking a lot better than Wednesday.

20210521_102016.jpg

20210521_102013.jpg

20210521_101946.jpg

20210521_101927.jpg

20210521_101924.jpg

20210521_101330.jpg

20210521_101324.jpg

sorry for the shots of my hobbit feet in the pics. I haven't checked the guiness book of world records, but that first widow I grew might be the smallest cannabis plant ever grown to maturation. Its amazing how small it is and it still produced decent sized buds. She is getting the chop on Thursday after sitting in darkness for 48 hours. I will also be bud washing with lemon juice and baking soda added to my water. Read a little bit on bud washing and it sounds like it could be beneficial especially since I have a golden retriever and I've picked more orange hairs off these buds that were not part of the plant than I would like but I guess that's what I have to deal with for having a furry best friend running around the house.

#3 I believe is a little underfed, she is a lighter shade of green almost yellow. Gave some extra nitrogen yesterday and tied her up a little bit to hopefully force her to grow up instead of outwards.

20210524_152904.jpg

beautiful start!
Thanks the first one didnt turn out too well but I learned a lot from it. Next batch is gonna be done with geoflora nutes, I've been testing the veg and bloom out on my veggies and they're growing like monsters. I cant wait to see how well it does with cannabis

So looking back on what went wrong with the runt. I didnt feed early enough but the main problem was the soil. A friend told me to make sure I packed the soil down good. Why do I listen to friends? Well the compacted soil turned out to be the culprit. I pulled the root out and it was pathetic looking and it was barely deep into the soil maybe halfway down If that. Glad to get the shitty one out of the way. Gotta post a pic of this abomination

20210530_190412.jpg

Ok so a little update. It's a bit more challenging than I thought it would be drying widow 1 in the grow room. I Have an ac unit running at 64 f and a humidifier in the tent with the widow at 60 rh. The room temp is causing the temp in the tent to stay around 68 if I wanna keep the smaller tent in the mid to low 60s for widow 1. Widow 2 and 3 were just switched to geoflora, yes I know it's not the best idea to switch to organic nutrients halfway through a grow but I did the same thing to a pea plant and it responded phenomenally to the geoflora after feeding foxfarm grow big and big bloom the first 4 weeks so I figured I would give it a shot since I plan on using geoflora on the next batch. My white yarrow cover crop also started to sprout for the next grow which should start as soon as widow 1 is done drying and ready to cure.
1622499441522925405918810189557.jpg
16224994772675681538447940539317.jpg
16224995016707678940490188543112.jpg

Widow 1 has finished drying and has been trimmed and jarred. 17.5 grams for that little runt and my first attempt and a whole lot of screw ups. I'm happy and I've learned so much and I'm excited to see how much more I get from widows 2 and 3
20210603_192322.jpg

it's amazing how different these genetics can be from seed to seed. I feel like such a rookie. The batch of widows on the first run developed small tap roots that grew no longer than 1/4 inch. These zkittlez seeds from another company germinated so fast they forced me to plant them last night because I was afraid the tap root was gonna grow too long. This was at 5 hours after putting into paper towels. 6 hours later and they were tripled in size.
20210603_134400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom