First scrog attempt - Help needed please!

Hobopr0

ok so going into my 2nd grow ever and am gonna attempt to scrog this time around but need some advice and guidance pls!

built my own frame using some leftover junk found in the garage and originally set up the netting spacing to be 2"x2" but got stoned and ended up drilling more holes and made it into 1"x1" spacing after reading various member posts. dimensions are 34"x34"x22"

20160503_160755.jpg
20160504_001146.jpg
20160504_135321.jpg

basically want to know how high/low the netting needs to be to my plants. reason being is that i have these 4 plants in veg (all various times) and in different sized pots. these havent been sexed yet either so.....
u can see here in the pics the various sized plants/pots. ill probably have to repot the 3 smaller ones (unless u dont think ill need to. but based on these pics....looks like ill need to drop the height of the netting down a lot more huh???
20160504_143912.jpg
20160504_143919.jpg

would love the advise and direction cause i have a hacksaw ready to lower this down a bit more....

:thumb::Namaste::thanks:

looks ok should be fine your going in to flowering now

i think it may be ok height for the bigger plant but the other 3 needs to catch up for sure. was gonna let them veg more so that the smaller ladies catch up??

Honestly- I think that mesh spacing is way too small. Even 2x2 is difficult to drag branches through. I use 4x4.

However- I put my screens on at the start of flowering. So there is a point where I have to pull all the branches through. Since you're doing it 'normally' during veg- it will be slightly easier. However- 1" squares is still too small. Easy enough to remove every second or third string if you agree. Good work on the build. :thumb:

Re the height. I like to have at least 10- 12" between the screen and top of the pot. This is so you can reach in and water, prune, etc. Shorter plants can be raised on blocks, or left to veg longer. Or lower the screen if you prefer.

Honestly- I think that mesh spacing is way too small. Even 2x2 is difficult to drag branches through. I use 4x4.

However- I put my screens on at the start of flowering. So there is a point where I have to pull all the branches through. Since you're doing it 'normally' during veg- it will be slightly easier. However- 1" squares is still too small. Easy enough to remove every second or third string if you agree. Good work on the build. :thumb:

Re the height. I like to have at least 10- 12" between the screen and top of the pot. This is so you can reach in and water, prune, etc. Shorter plants can be raised on blocks, or left to veg longer. Or lower the screen if you prefer.

was hoping that u would chime in here man! :high-five:

yeah was also thinking that 1x1 was gonna be a pain in the ass and will probably go back to 2x2 since i originally set this one up first. the additional set of string making it 1x1 will be easy to just unwind off without messing with the 2x2 spacing. if i go 4x4 then there wouldnt be that many 'squares' in my space so would that be an issue or it doesnt matter?

now if i let the smaller ones veg longer (trying for the perpetual grow), should i then set up the largest plant in the corner of the scrog and switch to 12/12 and then move the others in to the open space to flower in a couple weeks?
now about my sexing issue?

If it was me.... Yeah I'd probably put the larger one into flowering in the screen. This gives you (probably) a staggered harvest down the road, which is easier than all at once, and let's the little ones catch up. Otherwise you have a chance of being overgrown if they all turn out female. If you end up with at least one more female from the little ones, you can veg longer according to the space you're trying to fill.

As for the sex- not much you can do except veg them till they sex. You could cut clones and root them and then put those into flowering to determine their sex. But by the time you've done all that the plants will have shown sex anyway.
If you don't have anything else growing in your veg room besides the three you want to flower next- or just have very young ones- you could flip that to 12/12 to make the plants show sex. The 3 you want to sex will show- and you can put them into the scrog after- which saves you having to scrog them first then possibly remove them. The very young plants (if you have any) should be unaffected by the 12/12 flip because they will be too young to start flowering.

You will see after you start scrogging- that 3x3 or 4x4 spacing is fine. It gives you plenty of screen to tie the branches to, and that's all you need.

If it was me.... Yeah I'd probably put the larger one into flowering in the screen. This gives you (probably) a staggered harvest down the road, which is easier than all at once, and let's the little ones catch up. Otherwise you have a chance of being overgrown if they all turn out female. If you end up with at least one more female from the little ones, you can veg longer according to the space you're trying to fill.

As for the sex- not much you can do except veg them till they sex. You could cut clones and root them and then put those into flowering to determine their sex. But by the time you've done all that the plants will have shown sex anyway.
If you don't have anything else growing in your veg room besides the three you want to flower next- or just have very young ones- you could flip that to 12/12 to make the plants show sex. The 3 you want to sex will show- and you can put them into the scrog after- which saves you having to scrog them first then possibly remove them. The very young plants (if you have any) should be unaffected by the 12/12 flip because they will be too young to start flowering.

You will see after you start scrogging- that 3x3 or 4x4 spacing is fine. It gives you plenty of screen to tie the branches to, and that's all you need.

this is how it's set up currently. great point...think ill go back in tmrw and rearrange...will put the largest 2 in 12/12 (which are in the back row),

20160504_143919.jpg
20160504_181010.jpg
20160504_181043.jpg
20160504_181058.jpg
20160504_181111.jpg
20160504_181119.jpg

then the other 2 keep in veg along with the other babies that just sprouted from the seeds i got when the first grow hermied. i have thousands of seeds to practice on....heh
20160504_205052_1_.jpg

300 ish watts of LED would look superfine in there mate (thats actual draw, not "equivalent wattage", upgrade your lights and those plants will go CRAZY. I would go a bit higher on the screen too, if your height isn't restricted.

300 ish watts of LED would look superfine in there mate (thats actual draw, not "equivalent wattage", upgrade your lights and those plants will go CRAZY. I would go a bit higher on the screen too, if your height isn't restricted.

yeah man that's my next move..just starting to begin really researching in the lighting section for the best buy for the $$ on the LED but seems everyone has their differing and sometime contradicting info which is making my stoned ass more confused. so any suggestions?? y wouldnt equivalent wattage work? i keep seeing these cheaper ebay leds that im assuming wouldnt work but my budget (wife) wont allow me to spend big $$$ on this....yet. my thought is that these cheap leds must be better than my current ghetto cfl set up...not to mention, they're a pain in the ass to move around u knowwWW

The cheapest way to do it is to DYI, you can get Cree COB LEDs for about $60 each and they will put out 35-50 watts actual depending on model and driver. the driver will be a bit more expensive I think, maybe $100-$200 depending on where you can order from. I haven't checked prices lately tho. Might be less. Different model COBs give you different colour temps like 3600K so you mix and match. If you are good with electronics, soldering etc thats the way to go.
Stay away from ebay, very few lights worth the money
Alibaba is a good source for just about anything, used to be you had to buy large qty, but thats not usually an issue now.
Buying retail like a Mars II 400 will set you back $200 per unit (and thats 177 watts actual, which may be enough for you actually), you see how they fudge the numbers? What they are saying is their lamp will do the job of a 400 watt High Pressure Sodium.
However if you build it yourself you know exactly what you have, just have to be handy and like figuring things out.
Start here, and dont burn your house down ;-) there is a whole series of vids and it may look scary, but it isnt
DIY LED Basics: wiring LEDs/COBs to driver (pt 6/7) - YouTube
also check out the led section in the other weed forums and reddit

Back
Top Bottom