First time grow.... need help from the pros

yaboy07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
what's going on guys...well as u can see i'm all new to this. but hey...u gotta start somwhere right??

my grow is 6 days in...i've got 4 plants growing in an unused bathroom...2 of which are 3 inches and the other is 2 7/8 inch. the other two should sprout pretty soon...i hope?? anyway...as for my grow, lights: 1 150 watt cfl, 3 100 watt cfl's, and 1 15 watt cfl. i think i've got 7,440 lumen on about a 1 by 1 foot square for now...so is that good? the plants have been getting 24/7 light...now i know my soil is garbage from some help already...it's miracle grow with the time-release nutrients i guess?? but anyway...they've grown well in it so far...when should i transfer them?? 2 weeks? 2 months?? whenever i do transfer them...i'm going to get an organic this time with some perlite worked in it. i also have a fan that is constantly blowing on the plants b/c from what i've read it creates a strong stem to hold more bud. is that right? i've also got a digital thermometer (70 to 75 degrees F right?) and a humidity reader..50% is best right? watering: i've learned already the tells of the plant...i think?...if leaves are sloping down...water?? or the inch under top soil test with your finger?

09-22-08_2005.jpg

I've added 1 more 100 cfl hanging even lower to the plants....

09-22-08_2028.jpg

That's the 2nd tallest 2 7/8 inch...

09-22-08_2005.jpg

:roorrip:

anything you guy's have to say.....questions, comments, advice...everything will help!! thanks in advance!! smoke somethin! haha

You need at least 2,000 lumens per sq. foot. You will probably need more lights further in the grow. I would move lights closer to the plant. about 2 inches away from what I've been told. that way the plants dont stretch as much. Don't let them touch the lights tho. It will burn the shit out of them. And yes it is an eyesore. The fan thing is true BUT Not too much wind on those little ladies because you dont want to stress them. A nice breeze good i believe. as far as water. I've been told..wet/dry cycle. weigh your plants when the soil is dry and then when its wet. when it gets back to as light as it was when its dry.. water again. Transplant,temp, and humidity Im not quite sure on so ill let someone else get those. I'm by no means a pro but i got ALOT of help from them so i hope i helped a little. +reps for good luck. and I will take these Gravity's in your name as well lol. :allgood:

First of all, I'd get your seedlings that are in clearish containers into opaque containers. Roots prefer to grow in complete darkness. I would move the lights closer, too. It appears your seedlings are stretching. You're right about the soil. I used it for the seedlings, too. I transferred mine when they were about 5-6 inches, but I kinda have an eye for that kinda stuff. I also used an organic soil and added perlite in it. The soil I got said it had perlite in it, but I couldn't see any so I added more. Here's my grow if ya wanna check it.

Just For Fun Bagseed Grow

well....like i said....this thread is really gonna help me! haha...i'm likin the responses already...keep em coming...i'm gonna try and keep up with this so that i can have my plants in the best shape they can be....i'm pickinn up some supplies today to better equip the grow room....i'll take pictures and keep you guys and girls...haha..posted!

Chaos...good info man...appreciate the advice...

n Ms. Fox...i'll probably transfer my seedlings over at around the same height...also the containers will be transferred over too...i'm likin the clean setup of your grow! very nice!

ok....just got supplies:

2 10lb Plant-Tone (Espoma) Organic with a (5-3-3)

1 bag of Miracle Gro Perlite to mix with the Organic...

4 8inch pots....to grow with.

also picked up some: Green Light Super Bloom (flower food) 12-55-6

also got 2 more 100 watt cfl bulbs to hang...also some aluminum foil to
reflect light.

so...... any advice on the supplies..good?? bad?? i'm gonna take some picture once i've got everything set up....

All i can suggest is getting those transparent containers outta there! Never let your roots be exposed to light... ever.
Your plants are stretching already. You need the light up to 2 inches away. This may seem dangerous, but its the only way to keep seedlings from stretching...

Also, how long are you planning on keeping them is veg? You might want to get some better nutes... The Bloom food you've got is high in P, which is good for flowering. Your not flowering so I suggest getting some nutes high in nitrogen. Plants need N to develop thick stems early on in life. See if you can get your hands on some FoxFarm or Botanicare nutes. They should have them at your local hydro or garden shop. (they don't carry very good nutes at walmart or home depot...)

ok...well i'll probably end up switching containers once the plant reaches 5 inches?? or is that too long...i've also added some lights where the others are hung....2 more 100 watt clf's....all are just about 2 inches away...i would take pics but i'm waiting on a friend's digital camera...also we've got another sprout! it's working it way up to the light...to be honest i'm not really sure how long i'm vegging for?? i was gonna do it until the plants were about 16 to 18 inches tall? i gotta find a garden store! haha...i wish there were more nutrient options....but i also added aluminum foil on some parts of the grow to reflect light....

also is there a wrong way to transfer my plants over into the new organic and perlite mixture in the containers??

Take this into account: Plants will double if not triple in size once they flower. How much grow space do you have altogether?
Transplanting is easy, just be gentle to exposed roots! tip the plant upside down, lift the pot off, and place into a new pot with a hole to set the rootball in.

I admire your ambition to grow, but if I were you I'd read A LOT of the other grow journals on this forum. I'll admit that I've yet to even grow (which is why I'm not offering specific grow advice), but I've been reading the sh*t out of everybody else's journals to help prepare me for the problems I'm sure I'll face when I do start to grow.

Check out some other grow journals during your spare time, see what many others have done before you. I know there are some great CFL grow journals you can read up on as well, with OUTSTANDING results. If you look at the photos on the other CFL journals you'll see many, many more lights to help with the lumen output per sq. foot.

Good luck with your grow bro, I'll be watching with everybody else!

Wow!! i'm convinced on the botanicare grow...i'm gonna see about tryin to get it this week. is it ok to use the botanicare for just vegging and use my Green Light(Super Bloom) for my flowering? uhh....i wanna try and keep under 2 1/2 ft at most....i'm shootin 2 to 2 1/2....so i'm thinking about startin to flower at about 10 inches sound right?? also, i didn't know mylar releflects that much better...but yea...we have 2 car reflectors with mylar on it...so if i can't find a blanket....we'll prolly use those....2 question's...i want 4 plants at about that size...how many lumens should i have?? i've got 10,040 lumen right now...but i'm about to add 3,200 more....n also about the transferring...do or don't mix the organic and perlite i bought with the miracle grow? IF Dont...do i have the clean the roots from the miracle grow?

cnstntgrdnr....yea...i'm actually reading a lot more on here to find some of the stuff i may or may not run into...can't hurt to be ready for things though....thanks man...i hope it turns out nice too....

I was just thinking... Ugh... Sometimes I dunno where my head goes... Why don't you just wrap some tape or something around the pots for now to keep the roots in the dark. That'll help ya. Good to see you went and got some good supplies! As far as transplanting, if I were you I'd transplant into bigger pots than the 8" and get nutes for vegging. Don't get discouraged! You are gonna get this! ;-)

U need to get them out of miracle grow, and into some organic soil fast buddy. SAY NO TO MIRACLE GROW... If you have to use it try and get some without the time release ferts. With these you will have a harder time regulating nutrient intake and ph. Get some good soil and mix the perlite into that.

You might want to go 12/12 a little earlier if you want them under 2.5ft. You could also just FIM them and do some LST to keep them short and bushy.

well....doctor dread...i took your advice and switched my plants over into the new organic soil i bought with the perlite and my plants look like they are dieing!! they are withered up and leaning over with the leaves on the soil....any idea y?? and can they be saved????

last nite i mixed the organic soil with the perlite and transplanted out the the miracle grow...they looked fine when i put them in, but about an hour later i checked on them and they were all leaning over with the leaves down on the soil.....i did notice when i was watering....it was taking a little while for it to seep in....i woke up this mornin and they look even worse!

i may have to start over if these end up diein! sucks....i know the seeds were good strains....i dont know what to do though....hopefully they just spring back up....

ok....so i'm still trying to figure out what happened to my plants....i transferred it out the miracle grow and into the new organic soil and perlite mixture....ever since they've been transplanted...it looks like they are withering up and dieing. i thought i did everything right?? obviously not....so if anyone can help me out with figuring what went wrong if possibly i can save them before they die....i've still got my lights on them...one thing i noticed was that it seemed dry in the soil....i went to water them when i transplanted...taking into consideration that the biggest plant i have is a little over 3 inches.....so i watered the way i thought i should have...and when i did...i noticed that the water was sitting up on top the soil for a while before it finally seeped in. so if anyone can help me out on this....so that i haven't wasted my seeds i'd really appreciate it!! thanks.......

Back
Top Bottom