First time grower: 3 days in and need help already!

if if its truely yellow, thays calcium and iron deficiency, hardly possible at that stage because the seed comes precharged with enough food to get it goin, probably just the blurple light making it look that way, bright new growth is normal though, not truely yellow, sounds bad

Thanks! They are growing well and managed to get some pics in natural lights this time! TS1000 should be here tomorrow hopefully.

2 quick questions

1 - when my humidity goes above 55% i seem to get some algae on the perlite. Is it better to have humidity 40-45% with no algae or 55-60% with algae? They are only 9 days old.

2 - where i feed i noticed a few of these tiny white bugs (see pic, sorry its the best i could get) scurrying around - they look like white dots and yo wouldnt notice them move unless you were really focusing. Are these bad?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 67
Hey man, good to see the girls are growing up. I will give you my opinion on both points but it is just my opinion.

1. When growing in coco/perlite mix i always like to cover my medium regardless of how big the plants and pots are with clay pebble which you can buy from hydro shops and some home depot type shops around the world.

With the clay pebbles my coco and perlite are covered and this assists with pest control, algae growth and also watering. In my final 5Gal pots i run generally 1 1/2" of clay balls on top and bottom. The plants love it and I find after harvest when i remove the clay balls my root mass starts right at the top, sucking in those nutes as soon as i feed them. FYI I'd kill for humidity at 60%.

2. I cannot tell from the pic what it is but err on the side of caution and remove them when you see them and also sit down with each plant and inspect them thoroughly. pick or sqaush any you see. At such a small size it wont take long.

I would try and get a much better image and post it here. We all have had pests and are always happy to help with advice. Also note where you are seeing them (medium/ under leaf, above leaf, stem).

Good luck man, third pic is my fave.
:Namaste:

Thanks a lot for the tips, really appreciated. I'll go and get some of the clay balls later.

I did inspect the plants for aaaages for the little white buggers. Couldn't see any, but will continue looking. Will try to get a better pic too but they really are tiny.

Have a great day!

Hi again, no more signs of the little white bugs fortunately but will keep looking. I think they were on another tray that came into contact very briefly.

I haven't been able to get the clay pebbles yet but the TS1000 came - shall i switch over straight away? what distance do you recommend putting them at?

Thanks!

I'd buy some Neem Oil just in case those bugs or other bugs come back so you can deal with them right away. Better safe then sorry. Not sure why you are letting your COCO dry out. You never let Coco get dry. It stays nice & moist 24/7. Soil you let dry. Coco you do not.

Yellowing Leaves are a sign of N def. & you should increase the strength of nutes a little..
It can also be caused by too small of a pot if the roots get root bound.
60 - 70 % RH is perfect for veg. When you get to Flower you want it lower 40 - 60%.

I'd buy some Neem Oil just in case those bugs or other bugs come back so you can deal with them right away. Better safe then sorry. Not sure why you are letting your COCO dry out. You never let Coco get dry. It stays nice & moist 24/7. Soil you let dry. Coco you do not.

Hi thanks for the input! I'm never letting it dry as such, but at the moment I'm pretty much watering every other day (roughly when its lost 25% to 50% of its weight). I've seen online everyone saying to water everyday and you can't overwater coco etc but I find when I do water everyday (even to slight runoff), it stays soaked too long and algae starts showing on the surface. I don't see this on other people's so then worry about it being overwatered. Currently they seem healthy and growing so I'm not as worried about underwatering, but appreciate any tips as I honestly have no clue!

Thanks!

Trust me ... Don't try to get all scientific or try to do everything absolutely perfect. By keeping everything as simple as possible & avoiding getting too technical I've had my best grows & biggest yields. My grows consist of FFOF & Mega Crop. About as simple as it gets.

Hi thanks for the input! I'm never letting it dry as such, but at the moment I'm pretty much watering every other day (roughly when its lost 25% to 50% of its weight). I've seen online everyone saying to water everyday and you can't overwater coco etc but I find when I do water everyday (even to slight runoff), it stays soaked too long and algae starts showing on the surface. I don't see this on other people's so then worry about it being overwatered. Currently they seem healthy and growing so I'm not as worried about underwatering, but appreciate any tips as I honestly have no clue!

Thanks!
Water every day, even 2 - 3 times per day is OK. Every time you water you are supplying needed oxygen to the roots which makes your plants grow faster. Growing in Coco is very similar to Hydro.
It's all about supplying Oxygen & Nutrients to the roots & that's why hydro plants grow faster. It is almost impossible to over water coco. I fed 1 gallon twice per day to each plant after about week 4 or 5. Before that is was close to a 1/2 gallon twice per day. Never give Coco plain water either. You feed nutes every time. Coco doesn't have any nutrients so you have to supply them. Therefore, I'd find something like Mega Crop so you only have to mix 1 product through your whole grow. Makes it simple.

In my garden I water my seedlings morning and night just with a shot glass of water. I have found during early root growth a saturated medium isn't the best for young roots.
Once established plants I feed them 4 times a day by halos set to drizzle.

In summary I find small plants don't like it too wet in my garden.

If you guys want to argue this point I don't think a new growers thread is the right place.
:Namaste:

I think coco is more advanced. Next time try Fox farms strawberry fields. Coco I haven't messed with it. It holds alot of moisture. There is such a thing as over watering and it's hard for a plant to fully recover after that's happened. I speak from experience. You also have to think about root rot and that will be the end of the plant. Try watering once a week

Hi guys, hope you are all well. My first plants are now almost at the end of week 4, but over the past few days they've started getting a bit pale and yellowing - pics attached.

Can someone help me identify what's wrong? I've not changed anything since they were looking good on Sunday 5 days ago. They've not grown much at all since then either.

Currently feeding just Canna A & B, around 2.3ml/litre each and 1ml/litre of cal-mag which totals about 700ppm, and I fluctuate PH between 5.8 and 6.1. The runoff coming out is a lot lot lower around 400 - do I just need to up feed? Seems quite high already but it's only following the Canna normal feed schedule - there is the heavy feeding schedule on their site but that seems really high EC.

Research told me it could also be iron deficiency, but need some help from the pros!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 38
Back