First time grower - outdoors

TheCropKing

Hey guys,

Like the title says in a first time grower and new to these forums. I have been doing lots of research on my own before posting on here but I thought I would give you guys a run down of what I'm doing and if you have any advice for me I would appreciate it a lot!

So iv purchased 30 seeds from a local seed bank. A few different indica strains. I germinated the seeds and waited till the root popped out a 1/4 in or so. I got a bunch of smaller pots with a potting soil that contains peat moss, hummus, sand, compost, limestone and enriched nutrients. I was getting impatient and planted the seeds in the pots already. It's only 5 degrees where I live ATM.. Cold enough to see your breathe outside today. Anyways I put the plant pots in my shed by a window to shelter them from the wind and the rain so they might have a chance to survive and grow.. What do you guys think? Did I jump the gun and plant too early??

Anyways onto the more important part, I have found a spot in a local forest to plant these babies. It's very deep in the forest, no trails, close to a water source and has some good cover. I have already started the terrible process of bringing bags of soil and my larger 12 x 12 pots out to my forest site. When the time comes that my plants are a bit bigger I will transfer them to my site and get them going in their new homes for the summer. If the seeds don't make it in the next week I'll go get more and start that process over again. It will just buy me another week or so to get my site ready as it will be a lot of work.

I plan on picking up some sort of fertilzer with high nitrogen for the flowering stage to boost these babies in the near future and some wire fence to protect them from animals, as I have spotted tons of deer tracks in the forest and around my spot..

Any advice of further info would be awesome guys! Let me know what u think and if I should change anything. Do you think my babies will survive this weather ?

Hi TheCropKing and welcome to :420: I'm not an outdoor grower, but as far as the seedlings in pots, they don't like too many nutrients and burn very easily. They definitely won't like being cold. Can you get some supplementary lighting and heat to them?

Hope you find everything you need here on 420 Magazine. We are an incredibly helpful collection of like-minded souls spreading the word about the benefits of cannabis. If you like you can post a bit more about yourself and your goals on the
Introduce yourself forum. it's a great way to meet some seasoned growers. :Namaste:

Hey thank u for the welcome! Are you saying that the potting soil I have them in might be too much for a seedling? :( and I might be able to bring them inside.. Not sure how my parents would feel about 30 plants coming inside lmao..

Hello TheCropKing Your plan sounds good but you say that you plan on giving high N when there in
flower but as far as I know its not nitrogen that has to be high at the flower stage maybe a feed of
something high in nitrogen half way through the flower stage. I'm sure that you will need something
with an NPK closer to 1-3-2 which means it has to be highest in Phosporus than potassium and
lowest in nitrogen at this stage that's why half way through flower I think its a good idea to give
a little boost of nitrogen. Hope this is of some help to you :thumb:

Oh shit I'm sorry I meant to say veg stage! I was writing it all out while at work on my phone lol. Thanks for catching that :p

I'll be interested to see how this proceeds - i have no experience with outdoor grows so I'm anxious to follow your progress.

Thanks for taking interest! I'm very excited to see how it turns out aswell lol!

I think I have some good news. I got home from work today and went out to the shed to check the babies and there was still no sign of anything so I picked up a few of the pots and gave it a slight squeeze. The wet soil on the top separated and I could see the seed starting to sprout up towards the surface. Slowly but surely I think they might make it.. At least some of them. But my goal is to plant 30 so we'll see if I need to pickup more seeds or not. I will be posting progress pics and updates as I go

First off, what type of soil do you have on the spot and what type of forest?

The type of soil iv brought to the forest spot is the same potting mix iv started the seedlings in. The soil in the ground looks really good. It's loose, no clay, nice colour. As for what kind of forest? I don't know how to describe it or put a title on it lol? I'm not too familiar with that kind of stuff.

What colour does the forest soil have? Is it loose or compact? Can you dig one foot under with a small shovel or any other gardening tool? What type of trees do you have there? Can you measure PH? How tall do bushes grow there in the summer? What's the daily sun exposure? Did you notice stinging nettle around? If yoy answer me thesw questions I'm gonna tell you what to do.

What colour does the forest soil have? Is it loose or compact? Can you dig one foot under with a small shovel or any other gardening tool? What type of trees do you have there? Can you measure PH? How tall do bushes grow there in the summer? What's the daily sun exposure? Did you notice stinging nettle around? If yoy answer me thesw questions I'm gonna tell you what to do.

The soil is dark brown, it's pretty loose and breaks apart easily. I took a garden edging tool with me the first time Nd was able to
To dig a good size hole with ease. As for what type of trees I'm not very sure.. I think they are mostly maple, oak trees? I can measure the ph for sure I just need to get the tool to do it. That won't be a problem. To be honest I havnt explored this forest in the summer time but the bushes that are already there are a good 5ft already.. The sun exposure at my spot is perfect, it's in the middle of a bunch of trees and bushes and it gets sun from 10am to probably 6-7pm from what I have seen so far. As for stinging nettle I wouldn't know of I saw one so I will look that up and keep an eye out for it. I will be returning to the site in a few days to bring more material and start prepping it. Also to see if there are any signs of people finding the spot yet which I highly doubt

Ok, so it should be high in NPK, might be on a low P side though. If you get measure result below 5.8, you're gonna have to up it with sth, but let's not worry until we have to. If you get st least 6 hours of direct sunlight, you're set. That's the most important thing. It took me two years to find a spot without a shade in my area :) First, bring a regular shovel and start digging, 1-2 feet, you don't have to go very deep. The most important thing is to get rid of all the roots you can find and big stones, then you can start amending it with your potting mix. I grow organically, so I mix everything I have to before I put the plants in, but I start in February. But if the soil is good there, you don't have to bring shitloads of dirt, rather work on mineralizing it with volcanic rock dust, azomite, gypsum, egg shells or oyster shells, bat guano, bonemeal etc. I don't know what's in your mix though.

Ok I will definitely have to get that tool to test the soil then. And iv got peat moss, sand, limestone, compost and enriched nutrients in the soil ( this is what the bag says ) I havnt added anything. They Are 30l bags that cost 3bucks a bag. I have good direct sunlight but I'm not sure how much the trees above will cover once they get leaves on them.. Hoping I don't have to cut any trees down lol. And ok thank u very much for the info and advice! I will be looking out for all these things when I get a chance to go back. It's warmed up a bit today ( 12 degrees ) so I'm hoping my babies are gonna make it and come to life! I'm excited to get home and see if any have broken the surface.

Ok, so you've just bought a cheap potting soil, which won't hurt your plants, but these nutrients won't last more than two months after transplanting your plants, cause they are probably measured for plants less hungry than cannabis. If I were you I'd get some quality organic compost, bloodmeal and bat guano, and started mixing it in when you're done with digging. Branches can be cut down with shears if you can reach them. If you can't you're gonna have to stay positive hoping light gets through after they start growing leaves. In the worst scenario you're gonna pull an oz off a plant. Your temps, you're talking F or C?

Fk really? I was hoping the soil I had and a liquid fertilzer I put in when I water would be enough but ok I will have to start searching for a compost containing those things! And they are degrees celcius so 5 degrees is roughly 40ish F..

Ok, so you're in Northern Europe I assume, cause in Italy I haven't seen that kind of temps during a day since early March.
Any liquid fertilizer will work, providing you know your doses, but it's much more hassle to bring bottles with fertilizer than just mix everything in before you put your plants in, and it's more expensive as well.

Ok, so you're in Northern Europe I assume, cause in Italy I haven't seen that kind of temps during a day since early March.
Any liquid fertilizer will work, providing you know your doses, but it's much more hassle to bring bottles with fertilizer than just mix everything in before you put your plants in, and it's more expensive as well.

I live in canada :p the weather this year has been brutal.. The winter keeps dragging on and on. It was 12 degrees today.. Looking like It will go up from here. Ok thank u! I will definitely be looking into that stuff conrad

Hey guys sorry for not posting in a little while. Life's got busy and I havnt been feeling the greatest. Anyways my babies survived the brutal cold And wind! They are all looking healthy and a few inches tall. They are starting on their 2nd to 3rd teir of leaves but I feel like they have slowed down in growing.. Could this be because their pots are so small ATM? Or maybe cause it's been raining everyday and no sun? I transferred 2 of the purple kush babies into 2 pots that are 12x12 inches big for the backyard. The rest will be going to my site ASAP. I'm still working on lugging soil ect to the site.. Iv just been busy and havnt wanted to hike 45 mins Into the bush in the pouring rain everyday. Also went and picked up another 5 seeds today :) brings me to a grand total of 35 plants for my first grow lmao.. What are your thoughts on that?

image10380.jpg

View image in gallery

image10380.jpg

If it's been raining and sun was scarce, that might've slowed them down definitely. But they look very tiny.

Back
Top Bottom