First Time Indoor Grow With Problems

r.o. water will require a calmag supplement , tap water usually has enough calmag in it , test the water you are using now that you have a tds meter , if the water reads over 250 ppm then it should have enough calcium and magnesium in it .
Awesome I’ll check it tonight when I get home from work thanks for the info and giving me hope these ladies will survive

ok gallons of water is it distilled or spring water as they sell both and are very different in mineral content , distilled water is the same as r.o water . spring water is closer to a tap water .

ok gallons of water is it distilled or spring water as they sell both and are very different in mineral content , distilled water is the same as r.o water . spring water is closer to a tap water .
Deer park spring water

water quality to me is very very important as you need to know what the base of the water you are starting out with so you know how much nutes to add and then the ph after adding nutes is very very important , too much or too little going in creates big problems especially if the ph is off also .

Here’s how they looked this morning still have the clawed leaves.

Attachments

• D6574C7D-3F78-4115-AD7F-269B575ED27B.jpeg
    D6574C7D-3F78-4115-AD7F-269B575ED27B.jpeg
    916.3 KB · Views: 28
  • EFF9C2B9-36D6-4FAD-80CB-576E55F7D491.jpeg
    EFF9C2B9-36D6-4FAD-80CB-576E55F7D491.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 34
ok so now we know this water has a high ppm amount as it is spring water , i guess any where from 300-400 ppm it will tell you on the bottle how much the ppm are , so you wont need the calmag then .just ph this plain water for a week or 2 there is lots of stuff in this .

water quality to me is very very important as you need to know what the base of the water you are starting out with so you know how much nutes to add and then the ph after adding nutes is very very important , too much or too little going in creates big problems especially if the ph is off also .
Do you think bottom feeding is ok or should I keep watering from the top?

that is definitely nitrogen toxicity , look how thick and green the leaves look and they are clawing down they need some water and that is it .

that is definitely nitrogen toxicity , look how thick and green the leaves look and they are clawing down they need some water and that is it .
According to my moisture meter they are still in the green so I’ll check tonight when I get home
The first and only time I gave them nutes last week but it was a full strength feed of ff nutes

Wow no wonder they look like this you will never and i mean never have to feed any plant even if its 6 ft tall at full strength the manufactures only recommend this so you buy more product from them , 1/2 strength is about the highest you will ever need in soil and that is for a 4 ft plant .

i have heard of people using full strength nutes on huge outdoor plants only and they were 8 ft tall and 6 months in veg , grown in california and arizona etc where they are in a constant summer climate .

Nightly recap came home to find even more gnats in my plants. Really getting frustrated with all of it.
I did start a gelato and northern light seed tonight and am hoping with what I learned so far will help me prevent the damn gnats on these. I may just chuck my first two since they were bag seeds anyway to remove my gnat problem so my new plants may have a chance

good luck with that , just when you think you got them all 1 more shows up , it is because the eggs are in the soil just waiting to grow in to larva then into adult bugs , using the same bag of coco , soil ,compost or what ever is infected is only gonna get you the same result ,you need to find out where the eggs are coming from , they will be in one of your growing mediums or all of them , , most coco is sterilized before bagging but that is no guarantee either .but so are some soils again no guarantee either , sticky traps and diamatious earth help to control them and squashing them like a mosquito works too lol , you can get bug bombs too but I have never used them .

Thankyou first time grower so I got excited and wanted to do everything I could besides look at it. I’m learning to be patient now. Question have you ever used the mosquito bits I’m a little unclear about how to use them
If you have Mosquito Bits the product looks like granulated corn kernels or maybe granulated corn cob. The Mosquito Dunks are the same stuff but pressed into a doughnut shape. The recommendations for usage are on the packaging.

The Dunks can be broken into 1/4s and one piece put into a gallon jug of water and allowed to sit overnight. That will let the spores of the Bti get into the water and then when you water the plants the spores get into the soil. The spores will grow the bacteria which will be eaten by the larvae of the Fungus Gnat.

The Bits can just be sprinkled on the top of the soil. I have both styles downstairs but going by memory you would only have to sprinkle about a 1/4 teaspoon onto the soil in a pot the size I see in the first set of photos. All I really do is sprinkle some onto the palm of my hand and take pinches and put some around the soil. Sprinkling a whole bunch on does not seem to speed up the process so just a bit here and there.

Only down side is that material that is used. It does look like crushed corn or crushed corn cob. After awhile it starts to grow a bit of fungus. I have never had that hurt anything so I ignore it. I have sprinkled some Bits on the top of the soil and then just mixed it into the top 1/4 or 1/2 inch of soil to see what happens with the fungus. Doing that keeps the pieces of bits from showing and if they grow any fungus it is under the top of the soil.

Cut back on the watering. The top several inches of soil have to be bone dry for a couple of days. That will kill of some of the Gnat larvae. Then after awhile put on the Bits and go back to a proper watering practice. Or, if using the Dunks, then it would be time to start watering with the water that has sat all night with the piece of Mosquito Dunk in it.

As for the bags of soil that might have eggs. Whenever I mix up new soil or replenish used soil with additional soil amendments I have gotten into the habit of putting the soil mix into large buckets, or large tubs, and sprinkling some Bits on top, mixing it into the top couple of inches, and then giving a bit of water, just enough to dampen the soil. Never enough water to get the soil mix soaking wet, just barely damp. That is enough to get the Bti into the soil where it will be eaten by the Gnat larvae.

Hope this helps.

good luck with that , just when you think you got them all 1 more shows up , it is because the eggs are in the soil just waiting to grow in to larva then into adult bugs , using the same bag of coco , soil ,compost or what ever is infected is only gonna get you the same result ,you need to find out where the eggs are coming from , they will be in one of your growing mediums or all of them , , most coco is sterilized before bagging but that is no guarantee either .but so are some soils again no guarantee either , sticky traps and diamatious earth help to control them and squashing them like a mosquito works too lol , you can get bug bombs too but I have never used them .
I am seeing a common thing amongst my succulents that are in a different part of the house and my ladies both have fungus gnats and the succulents didn’t until I transplanted them 2 weeks ago into ffof before they were whatever the garden store planted them in. Besides ffof what are some other good soils to use?

And update for the day plants actually gained some height so I’m hoping that is a sign they are starting to recover from all the trauma they have been through. Also when I shook the pots only a few gnats flew out. I crushed up mosquito dunks yesterday and put them on top of the soil and I have been lightly misting them to moisten them up. I have not watered the plants now in almost a week. According to my moisture meter they are starting to drop in moisture from yesterday so maybe the plants are recovering and starting to improve. The last preventive measure I am doing for the gnats is spraying the holes on the bottom of the pots with insecticide soap and I did not see any movement down there this evening when I checked. Fingers crossed that these ladies are recovering.

on a side note no current sprouting in my northern lights and gelato pots yet hoping they aren’t duds I got lucky with my bag seeds that they popped in less than a day.

my 3rd attempt grow, 2nd grow with FFO.
I went from seedling soil to FFO.Have not added and fertilizer yet.Will add fertilizer when they go into 6-7 gallon pots.Took bottom two nodes off 3 of these and topped those 3 once.Light is 22 inches above all the growth.veg mode only,600 w light 240 from the wall.
8 days flip 004.jpg

The ladies got water this morning soil was finally dry. Didn’t give them too much water going to check moisture when I get home from work. Still got clawing going on but new growth isn’t as bad. Also was surprised to see a second plant sprout from the soil in the one that has me wondering how it happened.
My two other plants no sign of sprouting yet there being kept in my small box temp is 76 and rh is 53. Hopefully they will have popped by time I get home tonight.

Attachments

• 602CD578-717B-4C7C-9557-58B22A8C6C48.jpeg
    602CD578-717B-4C7C-9557-58B22A8C6C48.jpeg
    1,005 KB · Views: 36
  • 2F0B660E-3953-4A08-A88D-64639932D253.jpeg
    2F0B660E-3953-4A08-A88D-64639932D253.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 29
Came home this evening to find better looking plants they drank just about everything I gave them. The new growth is looking a lot better and defiantly increased in size. Still no signs of life in my new plants. Most likely going to throw these current ones in flower Sunday or Monday will see how they are looking first before I do it.

Back
Top Bottom