First Time Indoor Grow With Problems

Cgbw

So I recently started growing for the first time and everything started out smoothly until I decided to give them some nutes. After giving them nutes the plants had a toxicity problem and then came the dreaded gnats. I have not seen any growth for the past week and can’t seem to get my plants leaves to stop dropping. I let them dry out and gave them water. No luck they still are drooping. I thought maybe my fan was hitting them to directly and that’s why the leaves were clawing and drooping but no signs of change over the past 12 hours. So I figured I’d start a grow journal to with these plants and maybe get some more input on how to get my girls growing again any input is greatly appreciated these are for helping with my crippling anxiety ever since I got off of benzos it’s the only thing keeping me going. This is pictures as of this morning

Attachments

• 1980B17D-E0FC-45CE-BE16-7B94FFBBC2DA.jpeg
    1980B17D-E0FC-45CE-BE16-7B94FFBBC2DA.jpeg
    863.5 KB · Views: 113
  • A6EB83A9-FD23-426C-B89F-4725A36955B8.jpeg
    A6EB83A9-FD23-426C-B89F-4725A36955B8.jpeg
    869.7 KB · Views: 121
I’m running a 450 w led it’s about 14 inches away from the top my temps have been around 70 degrees running an 18/6 schedule. I had watered this past Thursday then again yesterday. I still have signs of a couple gnats but not as bad. I used insecticidal soap to get rid of them and I am waiting for mosquito bits to get delivered. I did defoliate leaves that were damaged from insects which was a lot of them,

Attachments

• 35949287-2D17-4BAF-B3C8-237FA5A17E72.jpeg
    35949287-2D17-4BAF-B3C8-237FA5A17E72.jpeg
    678.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 8BADE764-302F-48C2-84C1-B3020B98AA47.jpeg
    8BADE764-302F-48C2-84C1-B3020B98AA47.jpeg
    768.1 KB · Views: 97
  • F4A347E7-24D3-4100-9649-1E9249090E97.jpeg
    F4A347E7-24D3-4100-9649-1E9249090E97.jpeg
    905.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 8323825A-6ED5-4ADC-9AC3-18B4DE45EFD9.jpeg
    8323825A-6ED5-4ADC-9AC3-18B4DE45EFD9.jpeg
    812.7 KB · Views: 106
So your new growth looks fine but the older growth is very dark. Showing the N toxicity as you said....I would raise the light just a little and stop feeds for a week maybe even 2. Fox Farm soil has everything the plant needs for the first 4 weeks or so. Raise the light and feed just plain water every 3rd day. Try getting that temp up some too in the 80f range. The defoliation most likely just caused additional stress on top of an already hurting plant. She will bounce back.

So your new growth looks fine but the older growth is very dark. Showing the N toxicity as you said....I would raise the light just a little and stop feeds for a week maybe even 2. Fox Farm soil has everything the plant needs for the first 4 weeks or so. Raise the light and feed just plain water every 3rd day. Try getting that temp up some too in the 80f range. The defoliation most likely just caused additional stress on top of an already hurting plant. She will bounce back.
Thankyou first time grower so I got excited and wanted to do everything I could besides look at it. I’m learning to be patient now. Question have you ever used the mosquito bits I’m a little unclear about how to use them

Thankyou first time grower so I got excited and wanted to do everything I could besides look at it. I’m learning to be patient now. Question have you ever used the mosquito bits I’m a little unclear about how to use them
I personally never used them but I have battled the dreaded Fungus Gnats before. We were all first time growers at one point too. Anyways....I used Mosquito Dunks. Basically the same as the bits. I would assume the main ingredient is BTI. Which is 100% safe for plants but deadly for larvae. I tossed a dunk in my normal water that I use for feeds and watering. The 5 gallon plastic jugs. I then added a few sticky traps on the wall and near the soil. Within a week, all gone!

I have the exhaust fan off now raising the temp and I am trying to finish up my big cabinet that one has thermostat control on it so I will be able to keep it at a better temp

I have the exhaust fan off now raising the temp and I am trying to finish up my big cabinet that one has thermostat control on it so I will be able to keep it at a better temp
Yea just leave her be for a little bit to recover and she will be back to growing good and looking happy. Next time just try to remember to not cause stress on a plant that may have something already going wrong with it. Common mistakes for new growers in soil are overwatering and over feeding. The dry cycle in soil is just as important as the wet cycle is. Usually with new growers, they try to do too much to the plant and that's where problems start. Other then that the only other problem I see is your light. Once she starts flowering and stretching, that light is more then likely not going to be enough.

Well I decided to check on the plants before lights out and started to notice a lot of discoloration in the lower fan leaves I may chock this one up to a loss if I don’t see any improvement in the next couple days and start over. I just finished up my new cabinet that is set up a lot better than my previous one. 1500 watt led 6 inch inline fan with thermostat controller 8 inch intake duct work and a nice carbon filter for when it’s time. Now that I know preventive measures for gnats and I understand the importance of when to use nutes and when to water I think next tine will be a better go. I also picked up a bunch of smart pots today too. So here’s tonight’s pictures seems like they got worse through out the day

Attachments

• 265EF9D8-3DF6-403D-BDA1-772D398D25A3.jpeg
    265EF9D8-3DF6-403D-BDA1-772D398D25A3.jpeg
    614 KB · Views: 85
  • 3C2746D6-BAE0-4659-9E6A-8421BE5ED6BE.jpeg
    3C2746D6-BAE0-4659-9E6A-8421BE5ED6BE.jpeg
    840 KB · Views: 85
  • 08CCD7D5-F1CE-4B0F-9707-87871E08C726.jpeg
    08CCD7D5-F1CE-4B0F-9707-87871E08C726.jpeg
    966.1 KB · Views: 79
these plants will be ok , they are a lot tougher than you give them credit for they will bounce back , it will take a week or more for them to appreciate the changes you made and the damaged leaves will never recover ,watch the new growth at the top this will tell you if what you changed is working , try dropping your ph to 6.2 and upping your calmag a small amount .and a little longer dry period may be 1 more day .

when these plants go to flower you may find what you were doing in veg wasn't what they needed but it is great for the flower period , these plants don't look all that bad i have rescued worse looking plants and still had a ok return on them , just keep track of your changes , it will help with your next grow and it will give you the ability to see what your next change for them as what you have already done in the past , and i am not a fan of plastic pots you will find the cloth pots a lot better , they provide so much more air to the roots and they drain a lot better , these plants are small enough that you could transplant them to a cloth pot and add a little more perlite to the mix also , roots love oxygen but they hate light .your plants do look like they are getting to much nitrogen to me also stop with the nutes for a week or 2 , let them use up what is already in the soil if they start to go yellow then add back in the nutes at a very low amount , 1/3 of what the bottle calls for , i would stop taking leaves off and also the training as these plants are already stressed , i would try a water only for a week or 2 at at 6.2 and see what happens .be sure to give the a good dry cycle of 3-4 days .

these plants will be ok , they are a lot tougher than you give them credit for they will bounce back , it will take a week or more for them to appreciate the changes you made and the damaged leaves will never recover ,watch the new growth at the top this will tell you if what you changed is working , try dropping your ph to 6.2 and upping your calmag a small amount .and a little longer dry period may be 1 more day .
I haven’t used cal mag do you add it to water and if so how much per gallon?

what water are you using , r.o or tap water
I’m using gallons of water from the store I have well water that is to rich. The gallons come at 7.0 ph and I use a cap of ph down and it drops it to 6.5

r.o. water will require a calmag supplement , tap water usually has enough calmag in it , test the water you are using now that you have a tds meter , if the water reads over 250 ppm then it should have enough calcium and magnesium in it .

Back
Top Bottom