Prime First-Time Outdoor/Indoor Grow

haha! I was hoping that you would respond, as I was just reading your response to someones post in the FAQ thread about kinda the same thing... I was trying to just continue to research to make sure its fine. Anyway.. thats comforting that its semi-normal. As you can see though on the white russian it has some kind of like "burn" marks where its a brownish color and there is actually like a hole in the leaf... i've inspected to the best of my knowledge for pests but haven't found anything. Is that all part of the N deficiency? or what could that be? And as for the grapefruit haze... well the leaf turning yellow isn't necessarily one of the bottom bottom ones, its a few up from the bottom. Is all that normal?

I'm aware of what you said of loving it to death, so I'm just sitting back letting it do its thing, I just want to try to label it something in particular just for further knowledge in my next grows so they can have more optimum grow life :p

The whole plant will never look perfect. I lose leaves all the time. For instance, I have many fans in my tent moving air around and I lose some leaves to wind burn. I don't worry about it. I look at the overall health of the plants and that's how I decide if there is something wrong or not. There are little signs that something is slightly off (such as yellowing of lower leaves usually means N def.) But then when you are later in flower it's natural to lose many leaves because the plant's life cycle is coming to an end. Just as trees lose their leaves. I wouldn't stress about it. Just keep your pH in check, feed them, water them, and let them just be plants!

Yeah for sure, I definitely had the "first time grower" syndrome the first 2 weeks, but the last couple weeks I've been just letting them do their thing. Only problem is I don't have an accurate pH reader... I got one of those little light/moisture/pH meter from like Lowes/Home Depot that are super cheap(I'm on a very tight budget this grow) But from what I've come across soil is a lot more lenient on the pH side opposed to say aero or hydroponics. But from what the little meter tells me is its usually between 6.2 - 7~ pH... and to water I use a mix of tap and filtered water. Should I use more filtered(from the refrigerator) or bottled water? Or what do you prefer to use as watering (since RO is way out of the price range for me haha.)

I just use a drop test pH system and that does a good job for me. Also, your better of using tap because tap contains some trace minerals such as magnesium and calcium. If you use filtered (reverse osmosis and RO), then that doesn't contain those and you'll eventually lead to deficiencies. I personally use refrigerator water but tap works the exact same way.

Also, im not sure if you have upped the food dosage to compensate for the new growth. Usually if you havent and it starts going yellow, just increase the dosage by 5ml and that'll be good for another week or two.

:Namaste:

drop test... good idea, I'll go get some of those.. as for the tap and refrigerator water which would you use? or do you think that its roughly the same in pH level?

And no, I haven't upped the dosage of nutrients, i was just following the directions on the label... it said plant height: 8" - 24" same nutrient values... and I have been giving it that amount for about 2 or 3 weeks? They are about 18-19inches tall right now. You think I should up it a little bit? or just keep doing what the label says? I was thinking of switching to flowering too at the end of march.. you think I should just keep them vegging for longer? Its already been a month in veg give or take a few days

the pH meter you are talking about is that one of those probe testers that you stick into the soil?

As to the water...all tap water is different but most is alkaline. Most water companies supply alkaline water so that the water doesn't corrode the pipes. You should find out what the TDS (total dissolved solids) is in your water and then determine what water will work best for you. You can usually get a water report from the company that supplies your tap water. usually states the pH and the TDS.

@HempRocket: Im talking about those tests where you drop some pH coloring solution and compare it to a color chart to find the pH. I use a cheap General Hydroponics Drops Testing Kit and so far it's worked very well.

@Prime: HempRocket is right, all tap water is alkaline. for me, my water tests at a pH of 9+ so i have to lower it via lemon juice or citric acid. Also, i personally do not follower the feeding chart on the back of the food containers because those numbers are generally an average from multiple tests the company has done on test plants. If you're experiencing yellowing of leaves, that means your food quantity in the water is low and the plant needs more food to sustain growth. I don't know how potent the feed is, but up it from the dosage you give now.

As for flowering, if your limited on vertical space, it will stretch up to about 30~40 inches tall (approximately double her hight). Also, i suggest adding 50% flowering food and 50% vegging food to the water so it will help the plant ease into flowering. The transformation from veg to flower takes approximately 2 weeks. So for the first week give 50/50 flower/veg mixture. Then the second week give 75/25 flower/veg mix. After that just goo 100 flower mix.

:Namaste:

@HempRocket: Yeah, I have the dual pronged one that goes in the soil yes. I don't know, it has a bend in the metal probe part I think its defective. I'm not sure though... It gives me semi-consistent readings haha.

@xbox thanks a ton bro for the advice. I'll make it a note to get my bloom nutes soon :) but next watering of nutes(will be... tuesday) I will update on here and let u know how it reacts to it!

Until then my friends :smokin::roorrip::roorrip:

Yo WHATTUP!

First Post ON 420, i'll be watching your grow homie! I'll also be starting my journal up soon so we can see how our kids do! I'm gathering parts and what not for my makeshift microgrow, and your giving me prices of 6500k lights as I type, lmao....
Anyways man....I'll peak in on the last half of your journal a little later...I already found some things I need to correct, such as buying the 6500k cfls now from walmart, and take my 5000k unopened bulbs back to home depot! Aight, can't wait to see more!

Koala

:high-five:

Been a little bit since I've updated with pictures, so here it is. Moved them to 5 gallon pots 4 days ago, they are doing well. Thinking about pushing them into flower at the end of this week. They are about 2 feet tall each, a little bit more now maybe.

girls_3-28.jpg

Grapefruit Haze
GFH_3-28.jpg

White Russian
WR_3-27.jpg

Gotta get some bloom nutes soon, but I'm excited to get the next step of the grow going!

@xbox thanks bud! yeah man I know.. but I'm switching to flower this weekend I think, but they are meant for outdoors, so I want them to be big... I'm hoping for about 4-5 feet tall at end. I'm hoping I have a decent yield since I'm in need of some smoke!

@Koala just keep an e ye on the girls, they should be alright! first 2 weeks are a little bit of babying it, but they'll sprout off in no time!

haha yeah I know... As soon as I can afford to go buy some freakin bloom nutrients I am going to switch to flowering haha... Until then I guess let them vegg!! hahaha.. I really need to get some money for the nutes soon though! Running out of closet space, they about 2 feet tall each in 5 gallons right now... they gonna stretch a bit as soon as the roots start expanding more in the 5 gallon(i just transplanted less than a week ago)

Alright, Its been a while since I've updated, 11 days wow time flys :) anyway! just switched the girls over to flower today, and working on building a new cab for them(I changed my mind about the outdoor grow as it wasn't a very practical idea as we get company over often, and I didn't really think through that moving and hiding 4 foot plants would be an issue lol.) Started with giving 50/50 veg/bloom nutes, and then did 75/25 bloom/veg. Hoping for a nice transition.

Also, guys, at a local dispensary the owner told me to run the lights 10/14 for the first 5 days of flower to kick it over faster or something. Not sure exactly the reasoning for it I didn't get much time to talk to him about it, but does anyone know if that is a helpful thing to do? Or just switch to 12/12? Will 10/14 for first 5 days, then 12/12 cause any hermie chance?

Heres a pic of the girls in their old home before I move them to their new spot sometime tomorrow or friday.
4-13-flowerday1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom