First time mainlining: Have questions

Cwmoore577

Hello all,
I am currently attempting to mainline for the first time on a purple punch plant. Everything has been pretty simple and straight forward and so far so good.
My first question that I have is should I defoliate some of the leaves?
purp punch 2.jpg
purp punch.jpg

It's still pretty compact and because the stems are sturdy I'm having trouble trying to bend them away from each other. I'm wondering if taking a leaf here or there might help the shoots receive more light as I don't want one getting more than another. I have topped it 3 times so it currently has 8 growth shoots.

My second question is when should I consider it ready for flipping to 12/12? Should I wait for it to grow a bit more or does it look ready? I know a general rule of thumb is when it's around half of the size I need it to be.

Any input greatly appreciated!

All the growth below the tip should be removed.
IMG_1496.JPG
should be removed early from first cutting my journal is below , i have a mainline going there :) ive just finished a cut to leave 16 tops i am going for 32 :)

P1090274.JPGP1090484.JPG
Ok I cleaned it up a bit. It may just be this strain but from the beginning it was difficult to bend the branches or shoots down and away like you guys did. Might be that I've been using a silica supplement too though.

Here's an updated picture
purp punch 3.jpg
purp punch 4.jpg

So because I'm in a 2x4 tent I think I'm done topping. 8 shoots is probably enough. Once I've got the shape, how do I know when to flip it to 12/12? Should I allow recovery time before or time to grow more fan leaves?

Thanks for the responses.

Not a pro here just a newbie geek.... Often you hear flip when it’s 1/2 the height you want or flip when it’s half the height of distance between plant and light fixture to allow for stretching. That’s a great looking plant you have been training on. I don’t think I would defol since the canopy is not that deep at this time. But keep training so that the center stays open for better airflow and light penetration.

please consider other opinions too!

Good job cleaning that hairy girl up. That's obviously a indica dominate plant so I don't think it's going to overgrow your space. Probably get no more than 3-4ft. Most idicas don't stretch much if your giving them enough light intensity. I'd veg it for a while. The more you veg it out the more buds you'll harvest.
Beautiful plant by the way. Very healthy. That silica isn't going to hurt at all. Great stuff. Just use as directed.

Good job cleaning that hairy girl up. That's obviously a indica dominate plant so I don't think it's going to overgrow your space. Probably get no more than 3-4ft. Most idicas don't stretch much if your giving them enough light intensity. I'd veg it for a while. The more you veg it out the more buds you'll harvest.
Beautiful plant by the way. Very healthy. That silica isn't going to hurt at all. Great stuff. Just use as directed.
Thanks for the advice. Yea this is my 4th grow and the best one yet in terms of health. I think I finally have a nutrient schedule that works for me in coco and I'm excited to see this yield with my upgraded genetics and upgraded light.

It's purple punch so definitely indica. If I remember it was like 80-90% dominant. I'm wondering how much longer I can get by vegging it. I have a white widow plant in the same tent and it's getting to the point where I've got to flip in order to still have room. What do you think?

Here's some updated pics
ww and pp 1.jpg
purp punch 6.jpg

She's healthy. I'm in for the ride. Flip them..lol. You should have plenty of room.
Hey so I still haven't flipped I let it grow a bit more. Never had one so crowded, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take some of the small growth shoots and let the plant focus on the main ones. What do you think should I clean it up or flip it as is?

purp punch 7.jpg
purp punch new 10.jpg
purp punch new 11.jpg
purp punch new 12.jpg

i ended up putting a screen over my one , i did take a lot more off her just before i flipped sunday past , im just toying around with a screen , was there so i used it , its just part of a set of bunkbeds frames :) do the job ( bit of fun )
P1100047.JPGP1100046.JPG
Nice, that's clever. I have yet to have a plant so compact and crowded, it's a little hard to even see what I should remove. There are the 8 main budding sites and then quite a few small ones popping out from underneath them. Should I leave a few of those and take the smaller ones to let it focus on the main ones?

That’s a honking bush... I’ve heard both sides defol works / no don’t cut them there leaves... solar panels, transpiration, nutrient storage.... hell I've repeated the party slogans myself right here on your FAQ page. I’m thinking I would trim the bottom 1/3rd stuff to lollipop... or maybe some of the biggest fans. But you’ve got boots on the ground & home court advantage!

Defol can be a tool to help yields or to open up the plant and to possibly prevent pm. Most of the time I advocate to leave it alone unless it’s a deep thick canopy, however yours is a short thick canopy. But yeah that’s a bushy gal.

You’ve got good instincts fo sho.... just go easy, you can take more next week, but you can’t add one back!

see what else comes in....

That’s a honking bush... I’ve heard both sides defol works / no don’t cut them there leaves... solar panels, transpiration, nutrient storage.... hell I've repeated the party slogans myself right here on your FAQ page. I’m thinking I would trim the bottom 1/3rd stuff to lollipop... or maybe some of the biggest fans. But you’ve got boots on the ground & home court advantage!

Defol can be a tool to help yields or to open up the plant and to possibly prevent pm. Most of the time I advocate to leave it alone unless it’s a deep thick canopy, however yours is a short thick canopy. But yeah that’s a bushy gal.

You’ve got good instincts fo sho.... just go easy, you can take more next week, but you can’t add one back!

see what else comes in....
It's so flat it would be difficult to know what the bottom 3rd is. Agreed I want to see it veg longer but the other plant in the tent is pushing point of no return if it doubles size in stretch. Not sure if I should wait, I mistimed the two strains lol
Appreciate the help!

heres the other plant..
white widow 1.jpg

she a busy plant , what veg nutes do you use ? thats some thick foliage
I'm using floraseries but only 2 parts micro to 3 parts bloom. Adding very small amount of epsom, 1ml calmag and stout MSA in coco
Something called h3ads modified lucas formula ive played around with it last two grows and still trying to see if it works. So far no issues.

That’s was my fear... bushy as hell but flat as a pancake, wait I dated her in high school.

she’s all squat and low Ryder so there is no way to tell the lower 1/3... you are savvy.

how do you like the stout msa- I just started using it
Still learning every go around..
I like it. This is my second run with it. Ive definitely noticed sturdier branching and leaves which helps me use the tie downs and not tear the plant up. I let it dissolve in the tap water for around an hour before mixing the other nutrients and I cut it out right around when stretch starts to slow. No issues with ph stability either which is great bc i use a drip feed system with a reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom