First timer here wondering on training a plant that has odd branching

Well if it turns out to be something decent ill have to give it a go. Wish I could let someone with more experience have a clone to see what they could do with it. This is my first time growing so my experience is next to nothing

Quick question for you.. so if it does turn out to be a female and I clone it then it would be identical to this plant and have the same mutation
In theory, yes. In actuality, maybe not.

I had a plant from seed that after I took the first cutting, from the top, started to grow 3 shoots from one side and the normal single shoot from the other. As long as I let it grow that one size had 3 stems growing. When I took clones off of that side and rooted them, the new plants no longer had the 3 stems and reverted back to looking like the normal plants we are used to.

It is not really a mutation if it does not pass on to the next generation by seed. I consider these oddball shapes and growth patterns to be similar to minor birth defects in people or other mammals. A lot of people have one leg or arm shorter than the other but their children do not so that length difference is not a mutation.

I have had a lot of fun taking those odd growing plants and training them into something interesting looking.

Thanks. I just noticed some new growth on it that also seems odd.

Attachments

• 20200523_093530.jpg
    20200523_093530.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200523_093530.jpg
    20200523_093530.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200523_093505.jpg
    20200523_093505.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200523_093610.jpg
    20200523_093610.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 49
That’s a weird one. Started off with 3 sets of leaves - whorled phyllotaxy. Then started alternated growth. Now it is expressing a flattened stem- fasciation.

fasciated plants make the infamous “cunt” buds.

you can grow it out and see what sex it is. If some branches are normal and not flattened you can try to clone one of the good branches and it may grow normal plants from that.

personally I would cull it. I don’t like waiting around on mutants that aren’t productive.

In theory, yes. In actuality, maybe not.

I had a plant from seed that after I took the first cutting, from the top, started to grow 3 shoots from one side and the normal single shoot from the other. As long as I let it grow that one size had 3 stems growing. When I took clones off of that side and rooted them, the new plants no longer had the 3 stems and reverted back to looking like the normal plants we are used to.

It is not really a mutation if it does not pass on to the next generation by seed. I consider these oddball shapes and growth patterns to be similar to minor birth defects in people or other mammals. A lot of people have one leg or arm shorter than the other but their children do not so that length difference is not a mutation.

I have had a lot of fun taking those odd growing plants and training them into something interesting looking.
I'm going to grow it out and see what happens. Maybe I'll try and clone it later just to see. Who knows hell it might not even make it.

Yes I planted from a seed it came out with 3 leaflets. First time grower I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a male or hermie. I guess its a waiting game now. I planted 6 total and I have 2 more that has the same shape leaves as that one. And i have 3 that has different type leaves but 1 of them looks odd out of them. So I really don't know what I have sex wise or anything. My buddy gave me 6 seeds from some mid so we will see.

This plant in the pic is a tri-ploid. I've worked these in the past and they will be runts first round, take cuts and grow out the cuts and you will get something different. Goes against science but scientists threw out the mutants.

There are genetic differences here that can be used to our benefit.

This plant in the pic is a tri-ploid. I've worked these in the past and they will be runts first round, take cuts and grow out the cuts and you will get something different. Goes against science but scientists threw out the mutants.

There are genetic differences here that can be used to our benefit.
So it will have a different mutation is what you are saying? Or there is a chance of getting a normal plant from a clone

Back
Top Bottom