First-timer silo setup suggestions needed

Coke

Alright, within an unspecified period of time I'll have the opportunity to set up a grow in a silo. The silo dimensions are as follows:

width: 15' in diameter.
height: 15' to roofline
roof is sloped at 30 degrees
there is a hole at the top approx. 1' in diameter.

The walls are corrugated steel sheeting that I believe has been galvanised. Since this is my first time, I'm stumped for a few things. I'd like to do a vertical grow with the plants around the walls and lights in the middle, if that's feasible. Some of the problems are:

-Fans; I read in one of the stickies on this site that fans should be able to move 2-3x the volume of air in a minute. How would I best move up to 844 cubic feet of air in thirty seconds? Smell, by the way, is not an issue.
-Insulation; I want to minimize potential heat signatures, since obviously a grain silo isn't usually visible on FLIR. Added to that problem is that the outside daily high temperature during the winter and spring is below zero. What kind of crazily effective insulation will I need to use in order to keep the inside growable and the outside undetectable?

So yeah, any help would really be appreciated. I'm hoping the silo thing will appeal to people enough to get a few good replies. If I need to add more information, please tell me!

A tin silo in sub freezing temps will be nearly impossible to insulate and heat. You may want to consider waiting until your temps remain above freezing.

Not even with like, 2 foot thick fiberglass insulation? >_< I'm totally willing to go overboard.

^ I concur with that. However I still think it would show up enough to raise suspicion. I searched "SILO MARIJUANA GROW" and other variations of the words and nothing has shown up on google. So no experience to look at :( please keep us updated though I would love to see pictures.

CK

Does it have a working dryer attached to it. I make the boards that control the temp. and humidity in them. If it is still working that should be all that you'll need in terms on heating/venting.

The first time I ever heard of a scrog, was a guy doing it in a Silo... I did read an article somewhere that spoke to using F-150 pink foam board (3" I think for 150?) and building a building inside a building to reduce your FIR image. But this also spoke of venting away your signature. I've heard of some people burying their vents into the botton of barrels on farms, so it looks like you're burning trash. *SHRUG* Just suggestions, but it's damn hard to mask a thermal sig when you've got nothing to get the heat away with. I did read somewhere that a judge ruled FIR images couldn't be used as a reason for search and seizure but they were talking about houses.. Not grain silos in the middle of a field lit up light a Christmas tree. Good Luck.

I am a mechanical engineer and read many of the previous comments. Many of these people have no idea what they are talking about. I have engineered over 200 organic grow facilities over the last 18 years. Work with your silo. You will be happy. Spray foam. It's 98% efficient at 1 inch. Blocks all condescension. If you did 2 inch walls and 6" on the lid in closed cell spray foam your heat signature would be zero. Not to mention at tight. You would be getting at least R-21 on the walls and R-50 plus on the lid. This is commercial refrigeration ready in 100° climate. With the fact it's air tight once cured you need much less material then any other methods. You can buy these bulk kits at home depot for about 499.99 with the spray gun and hose kit. Based on the dimensions you gave expect this cost you 2k. Not cheap but the best. I believe they are (2) 10 pound cylinders part A and B. You'll have one sick grow room. Do two floors. Stage your operations. Do the math on potential yields!! Your silo is already designed to dry. That's the point of them. Re- purpose the existing lower duct and blower to your advantage. Clearly smell is not an issue and your silo is engineered already to move the air out over 16 times per hour at full duty rate. If your system has been broke down for salvage after years of no use you will find bolt on replacement parts with ease.
Not even with like, 2 foot thick fiberglass insulation? >_< I'm totally willing to go overboard.

Back
Top Bottom