FirstGrow - BlueRhino - VanillaKush - SharksBreath

Re: FirstGrow-BlueRhino/VanillaKush/SharksBreath

Ca nt tell for sure but in the pics are some of your plants leaves also curling up as well and the very tips appeared to be a touch burnt as well or at least shrivled and dry, if so I would say your on the right track as it seems to me mroe and more that your hermis may be due to your plants are sitting in a soil with a ec that is fairly high.
You see there are some strains of cannabis white widow for instance which are extremely nutrient sensitive the white widow for instance prefers to grow its entire life with a nutrient ec of around 1.2-1.4 and then there are strains that like the nutes weak during veg and ramp up in flower to where they can handle an ec of 2.4 but on average If you start with a nutrient solution with a ppm strength of 1000 going into flower by the end your plants will prolly be able to with stand a max strength of around 1500-1800ppms. But if the nutrient strength is responsible for the stress that caused the hermi the damage is already done so I would just water them as needed and resume feeding after about 2 waterings prolly wont need to flush them as this late into flowering if you flush you will end up washing away so much of the beneficial bacteria in the soil that it is likely to slow down the flowering process and cause even more stress. So best bet is to not give them anything but water for the next 2 waterings then resume feeding at a strength of around 1000ppms with any luck there will be enough residual nutrients in the soil to bring the strength up to where your plants will want it this late into flower.

Thank you ever so much for the advice; I will heed your words. I shall also invest in instruments to test nutrient solution strength and acidity, and soil EC. Are those things worth my investing some money or will cheapo stuff do?

PErsonally my tools consist of 1 milwuakee 600ph meter an H&M TDS pen all I do is make sure I start with the best soil I can get normally I use promix bx or sunshine mix #4 both of which I add and extra 25% perlite to and then from there I keep my nutes in veg under 1100ppms and in flower under 1600ppms and my ph target is 6.2 but if you come close to the target your shooting for like within .2 either way dont obsess about it in soil ph control is only super critical in hydroponics because soil has enough natural ph buffers or CEC (cation exchange capacity) which is it ability to absorb alkaline or acids and maintain its current ph . But I think any decent grower will agree if you start out with good soil and are meticulous about ph of your waterings you should have no problems.

Cateros is absolutely right. If you start off with good soil, you will end up with quality smoke.

Distilled water is usually slightly acidic so if you add nutes to it, it makes it more acidic. Personally, I think mixing tap water with R/O water is the way (depending on what the TDS of your tap water is). That way, you won't need to add any cal/mag because your tap water would provide that.

I agree with hempRocket, u should either buy yourself some cal/mag or add in some tap water for the nutrient balance. Most def go get yourself some form of ph tester. They make the color dropper for like 10$ and a ph electronic pen for around 100$. I was also thinking you might want to trim off some of the leaves that are touching the soil. It makes it easy for bugs and other things to attack. Otherwise it looks really nice. Check out my journal if u get a chance. You'll see how I trim off about a foot for proper air circulation and overall health.

I should mention there is one other important tool all of us medicinal growers and caregivers should have on hand incase they get hermi's late into flower cause that is usually when you end up with pretty decent resinous buds that are full of those soft green imature seeds , and that is a set of bubble bags .

There have been almost no changes in the last few days. It almost seems as if they've stopped growing. Scans are still negative for any type of balls, bananas, nutz, etc. The Blue Rhino still has no crystals to speak of. It's making me nervous but I will sit tight and observe and hopefully the changes I made will have a positive effect.

These last three days I had off work and I smoked a LOT of jointz. Boutzin to fire up one more and watch martial arts films.

So with bubble bags, do you still have to press whatever comes out into hash? I guess I am presuming that the precipitate is, like, powdery and soft. I have a wonderful Wikka box that I use to collect kief when I'm breaking up bud. What I did last time was scrape a bunch of it into a cellophane wrapper from a pack of cigs, then alternated between time in a warm oven and pressing it by rolling with a wine bottle. I was pretty happy with the result but I know it can be better. Does anyone know other ways to press it? I do not have access to a vise.

Cateros: Thank you so much for your time. Hopefully you buy that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery because I am planning to order the very instruments you suggested. I have also decided to invest in a R/O filtration system. Unfortunately, I am going to spend quite a pretty penny so this will probably happen after this grow. I'm sure different strains have different pH tolerances and soil preferences and all that. The best I can do is try to give them the best quality I know. This time I used FoxFarm Ocean Forest but after seeing so many awesome, awesome grows done in sunshine mix#4 I was thinking of switching to that next time around. I have also been curious about Advanced nutrients; I've had that recommended by a couple of people. I've learned that one of the best parts of growing is going to be finding a few strains that work well for me.

(It's like 0300 right now and the birds are going batshit outside right now tweeting. wtf?)

JB: Hey, thanks for your advice. When I started this grow, I actually thought I read the FF supplements I was using took care of the Ca/Mg. When I looked again the other day, I saw I was wrong. This last watering, I mixed in some tap water (I left the tap water out for a long while because I read it leaches off some Cl2 gas?) because they said it would help. Next time I'm at the hydroshop I will mos def pick up some CalMag+ but that is a long and arduous road and I can only steel myself to do it periodically. I was a lifeguard for like five years so I know those color test tube kits aren't going to do shit for me. I'm going to invest in one of the pens. Pretty sure none of the leaves are touching the soil anymore. After they stretched it was very easy to keep it clean down there. My rule of thumb (shoulda been the Rule of Wrist!!! :surf:) is if I have to pull on a leaf, it stays on. Most of the bad ones fall off at a feathery touch. It has worked well and there is good airflow because I keep an almost too-strong fan blowing on the stems, below the canopy. I am most worried about mold and fungus, so I am glad the humidity has been under control. I will stop by your page and write a shorter message LOL. I already want another joint but I know I should sleep... I don't know why I fight it, already know what's going to happen.

:tokin::tokin::tokin:

NEPharmer: Good to see you. I feel like maybe I should just come clean now. I only had one grow before this where I did the trimming. Yes, I wore nothing but a smile. LOL but I feel like we're focusing on the wrong wrong things here. But seriously tho, I have cracked up out loud a couple of times during the journal. You guys are awesome!

Dude Hemp, I am about to smoke what is prolly one J too many, and watch that Gummybear video, and then Saladfingers.

I just want to say again that my fingers smell like a pack of Bubblicious if I touch the Blue Rhino's stem.:peacetwo:

Of course Immitation is of course the greatest form of flatery and of course all of my grows or immitation sof what other peole were doing that I was sure I could reproduce in my grow conditions so basically I would say my nutrient schedule has been most influenced by The Butcher, Woodsman, Norcaliwood,Old med man, wingman420 not for nutrient shcedule just gave me loads of good vibes and made me feel so at home I immiediately began helping anyone I could when the problem is something I over came with easy, Oh and a side note to anyoen I have recently begun using sns 204 the rtu fungucide I cant check the bottle right now is in my flower room which is in the dark cycle for another 3 hours anyways use of this from about day 14 on with clones has cut all signs of pm down to almost non existant so in my opinion another good product, the sns 604 b organic flowering stimulator while working well in the root zone seems to be more effective as a foliar spray but think I will have to cut that off at about week 5 of 12/12 and then from there return to daily root zone feedings of the stimulator using 500ml applied using a pump watering jug to inject the nutes directly under the roots or into the root every day. Of course if you are going to be watering with .5L of organic bloom stimulator daily you will want to cut the amount of water applied to the plants during feeding , normally I feed 2litres of my nutes per plant mixed to 1400ppm consiting of 4tsp maxibloom/5gal ,12.5ml liquid Koolbloom /5gal, 8ml An Big bud /gal,10ml floranectar /gal, 4ml calmag /gal,15ml prosilicate/5gal, 20ml dnf black humic acid /gal,20ml dnf gold fulvic acid/gal,5ml florablend/gal , 40ml blackstrap molasses unsulphered /5gal, Foliar feed of 7.5ml of sns 604b organic bloom stimulater /gal or 1.75ml/litre applied every 3-4 days. total ppms at time of feeding 1450 but my research shows the fulvic and humic acid while addint to ppms add no nutrient value and actually will be ignored if using an ec meter. But to tell the truth I have seem people grow wicked plants by adding a bit extra dolomite at the start and then using whatever whater and nutrients to provied a useable ph'd nutrient to your crops/.

Cateros, thank you so much for donating your time and information. I am almost definitely going to stray from FoxFarm products on the next grow. I think my investment in a good reverse osmosis system will help too. I believe you said in your post that you use blackstrap molasses. This is simple carbohydrates, right? Simple sugars to make the plant taste sweeter and perhaps add some cheap energy at the end of your grow after the nutrients are flushed? My question is this: have you used any of the carbo-loaders from any of the fertilizer companies? Any thoughts on using them instead?

Anyways, I was sitting here breaking up some bud to roll two joints before I smoke two joints, and then smoke two more, and I was suddenly compelled to post an update. The plants are not looking too hot, especially the Blue Rhino. The tips look nute-burned, even though they have been getting clear water for more than a week now. I resumed feeding tonight, adding the first small dose of ChaChing. A bunch of the fan- and sugar-leaves are turning yellow and the tips are curling on some. Before I started the pure water like eight or nine days ago, I gave them one feeding where by the FF nute schedule, you add some Grow Big for two weeks, I presume to bolster the N level for the rest of the life cycle. I only gave them one feeding with the extra GrowBig. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the TigerBloom and BigBloom will have enough N for keep them sated?

I went crazy adding solution to the BR's pot, so the liquid leached through the soil very quickly and got all over the floor and everything. I took the opportunity to move the plants out for a few minutes and clean the floor up really well. It looks very nicer now.

How many weeks into flower are you now chee? I am under the assumption that the leaves are going to start looking like shit as the plant is depleting the nutes and all that good stuff and turning it into bud (in layman terms because I dont know any others). If you are following the schedule I think you are gonna be fine, as I said before the sch. is conservative, I know you arent going to believe that 100% as I wouldnt. If you think about it a little, they have to set their program up a little on the conservative side to take different strains and different mediums into account, otherwise they'd have a lot of POed customers on their hands. They'll be fine dude, and stop talking about smoking 2 J's you fucker, LOL... I've been scraping my various smoking apparatus' taking resin hits for days now cuz I CANT GET NONE..... (I'm just jealous ....LOL....)

First off, Hemp, you are my new personal hero. The expression on that bear's face sends me into cackling fits from which I fear I will never return. Seriously look at that things face and eyes. I am glad no one saw me watch that because I embarrassed myself, giggling like an eight-year-old. Wow. Absolutely hysterical.

Damn, Whitey, I feel bad bro. I just went through a dry period too; my pipes are clean. It really hit me too, how much I hate smoking resin, this time. I feel your pain. But my boy is coming to visit, and I haven't seen any of my bros in over a year, so I had to stock up. I am sittin' on over a zip of regs and I have a quarter of (supposed) Tangerine Kush on the way. The Mango I got from the same guy was prolly the best shit I've had in FL, so expectations are high. I believe today (Sunday 20 March) is the first day of week five of flowering. Maybe tomorrow, really don't want to get up right now. Omigod that's lazy as fuck. Tomorrow Monday 21 March is the first day of week five. (I got up and checked because fuck that, I am not lazy)

The plants perked up quite a bit after the feeding. They really look much better. Dark cycle ends at 2000 so I might post another update after I look in. I cleaned pretty well last night and washed their drip pans and everything, started them on the ChaChing, so everything is squared away to go into the late flowering stages. BR has finally developed a few trichromes on the small, thin leaves, which makes me happy. This makes me want to ramp up the nutes a little bit but I am worried about Cateros' warning against overfertilizing.

And Whitey, not to brag or anything, but I was literally talking about smoking two joints before smoking two joints, and then smoking two more so it was more like six. How does your garden grow, by the way?

Aight, Whitey, hide your eyes for this one:

P101000219.JPG

Here they are - Blue Rhino (on the right) is still looking a bit under the weather. Whatevers, I'll just say it: she still looks a little shitty. I promise I'm taking care of her.
P101000419.JPG
P101000524.JPG
P101000621.JPG
P101000721.JPG

Blue Rhino
P101000815.JPG
P101000916.JPG
P101001120.JPG
P101001219.JPG
P101001313.JPG
P101001413.JPG
P101001514.JPG

Sharks Breath
P101001618.JPG
P101001813.JPG
P101001912.JPG
P101002014.JPG
P101002212.JPG
P101002312.JPG

I think they should be more developed than they are. Maybe they need a song...

It's going good chee, All is As good as it can be. I'm just trying to keep them happy enough with what I have for the next few weeks or so. Really have no complaints or anything worth posting other than I gots a big ass plant...

And damn dude you are champion smoker, I thought I was big pimpin burning 8ths of dank dank in a few days.. Either way I'm still jealous, lol. I cant say I've ever rolled more than one j for just me but that will change in the near future. I like to smoke a little bit but just kinda constant, few puffs here, few there...... Damn I need some good bud bad...

I got a new iphone4 so I've been takin pics and playing with that since friday. As soon as I get some more eventful stuff going on I'll start another journal. It'll be boring as he'll for a bit. The way it's sounding things will hopefully be getting good real sooner than later.

Edit: the burnt look doesn't look so good but otherwise they look good. I think your gonna see a lot more development dude. U still got 3 weeks or better dude, that's a long time in plant years bro...lol.

I like the perspective, Whitey. Growing plants is like cooking eggs; you can't rush the job. If you try you will end up fucking it all up. I guess you're kinda right- the smoking has been kinda OC lately. For the most part I like to kick back with a bowl and just take little hits every once in awhile, just puff on it while I'm writing or playing videogames or watching a movie. But I have to quit soon to move and get a new job, and it's really my style to go out with a bang at the end instead of tapering off. Most likely I could use a little more patience but you gotta realize that's tough in a finite existence. I'm not even close to a type-A personality but there are so many times I think I should hike more, camp more, fish more, golf more, just plain play outside more instead of watching tv. Makes me want to throw the thing out the window. My goal is to never slow down.

Damn dude your bushes are looking great. Very healthy and green and alive. I can't wait to see how that VK turns out under a HID lamp. She is going to immediately frost herself when you induce flowering. She's going to look even more amazing. After she puts like two feet between nodes.
I dunno if I'm really all that much of a champion smoker. I've met some people who can destroy me, including one girl who was amazing. I have, however, completely and utterly mastered my ~20-22 inch Sweetwater. I don't even cough anymore, even if I chalk that bitch. I think this Tangerine Kush is gonna smoke real nice outta her.

And hey, everyone should congratulate HempRocket on Member of the Month. Again, thank you so much for being active in this community and helping newbie growers like myself. The joy I am having would not be possible without you and others like you who dedicate their time to helping others. I really think that after I get some grows under my belt and learning from folks like Hemp, I can start really going over new journals and share helpful tips and experiences.

Back
Top Bottom