Fitz420's Mixed Strains 2015 - DIY EnF Hydro - DIY Grow Room - 1200W HID

Fitz420

G'day from down under, it's been more than 8 years since I've been in a situation to grow god's finest greenery, and after a few hours trolling the Internet, it seems hydroponic growing has come a long way. 8 years ago, LED lighting was laughable junk, I always assumed it would come on quickly, seems it is now becoming a viable option. But I'm sticking to what I know for my first dip back in the water, the plan is 2 x 600W HIDs, 4 plants, DIY ebb and flow system, and a grow room I'm currently building in the garage.

I've taken a look at the suggested format for grow Journals, and chosen a few relevant questions to answer;
What strain is it? - I've chosen Widow Bomb and THC Bomb from Bomb Seeds
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Heavy Indica
Soil or Hydro? Hydroponic Ebb and Flow
Size of light? 2x600 cool tubes
Is it air-cooled? Yes
How often are you watering? 4x15min per light cycle
Type and strength of ferts used? Canna nutrients / house and garden

Bucket Size - 20 litre
Medium - 16mm Expanded clay pellets
Lights - 2x 600w HID
Nutrients - Canna Nutrients, House and Garden
Strain(s) - THC Bomb, Widow Bomb
# of Plants: 4
Yield : ???

Well, after a trip to the local hardware, construction has commenced on my grow room, 1800x1680 is the footprint I've got, only 2100 high, which could call for some heavy pruning later on, but should suffice for quite a nice yield. I've built it out of untreated pine structural timber, 70x35, which comes in 6m lengths. 8 lengths is ample, at $12 a length it is inexpensive, and when finished provides the rigidity of a permanent structure. I'll clad it in MDF and plywood, and hang Mylar from the inside. This gives me a huge amount of versatility in customisation, exhaust systems, lighting and wiring can all be built into the structure, and I am a stickler for a tidy grow room.

Anyone with any questions please don't hesitate to ask, construction and spatial design is my thing, if you want to attempt a build or a system like this, I will try to document it as thoroughly as possible.

image21514.jpg

Here you can see the room taking shape, it is not advisable to construct your room around a running beer fridge, but does make a good tool shelf; trouble is the proximity to drinks and the effect this can have on the rate of work completed... Ah well I'll move it tomorrow.

image21513.jpg

If you're working by yourself, strips of 3mm packing ply are a great way to hold pieces in place while you drill and screw, simply tack on brackets with a tacking gun, too easy. Alternatively if you have a paslode framing gun this would be quicker, but not many people have access to these tools.

image21512.jpg

As you can see I've put 5 cross beams along the top, this will become 7 tomorrow, as two perpendicular beams are added, not only does this help rigidity, but gives a lot of options for hanging fans, lights, wires etc.

image21511.jpg

Cladding is being done with 9mm MDF on the back two sides, the front and doorway will be done tomorrow in 12mm Plywood, so I can hang tools on the exterior (gotta try and reclaim some of the storage space this grow room is taking up), but if you have no need to use the walls structurally, 3mm Masonite or bracing ply would be more than sufficient, and much more inexpensive.

Well, that concludes day 1 of the process, seeds are in the mail, can't wait to get them started. Tomorrow I'll be finishing off the cladding and framing, and building in some lockable doors.

But for now, it's time to smoke! Peace!

Well, second update, had some trouble with one of the dogs this week so not been as quick as I'd hoped, but things have been coming along. This week will hopefully be finishing the room off; I've ordered some grow room thermometers and reflective film, fans are on the way and I'll be finishing off the construction.

Made a few changes to the hydroponic system I had originally planned, I wasn't happy with the root space in the 20L buckets, all the plumbing is water tight, but I'll need to do a test run with the pump this week some time, any suggestions are welcome.

image21836.jpg

Here I've got the back walls on the grow room, got the fridge out and put the room into its final position, as you can see it's quite a snug fit. I bolted a fluoro onto the wall to give me some more light while I'm working.

image21835.jpg

I've changed from the 20Litre buckets to these 40 L pots, which I've driled out with 12mm holes. 16mm+ expanded clay will be the growing media.

image21834.jpg

They fit inside the bigger black buckets like they were made to measure, I couldn't believe my luck when I found them at the hardware to be honest, it looks like a purpose built set up.

image21833.jpg

15mm tank outlets are used for the fill and overflow fittings, attached to 19mm black pipe.

image21832.jpg

They're attached by drilling 22mm holes with a hole saw, and placing rubber washers on both sides of the bucket.

image21831.jpg

Here you can see the recess in the wall which I intend on turning into a seedling/clone cupboard, this is why I haven't built in a wall.

image21830.jpg

Hopefully the seeds will arrive this week and I can start the germination.

Time to smoke, Peace!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom