Flowering nutes?

meffa

I'm on my first real grow and today is 3 weeks since I switched to 12/12 with my Purple Kush. The buds are coming along nicely and I'm looking for input with using flowering nutrients.

I'm in soil and a friend got me using The Urban Farm nutrients. For flowering he suggested their Extreme Bloom Nutrient that's 3.6 - 6.0 - 3.8. I've used it twice so far. I'm not sure about the Nitrogen 3.6 level in flower and bought a bottle of Humbolt's Crystal Burst 0 -15-15, and Hula Bloom 0-50-30.

I had planned to use the Urban Farm 3.6 - 6 - 3.8 at 1/3 dose and Crystal Burst at full dose for the next 2 weeks, then switch to just Hula Bloom for the next 2 weeks after that, which will bring me to week 7, then straight water flush for the remaining 2 weeks. This assumes 9 weeks.

The Urban Farm just seems to have too much Nitrogen to use all the way through flower, and not enough P&K.

Again I'm a new grower that's doing ok to this point, and don't want to screw things up this late in the game. Like everyone I'm trying to get the best results I can and don't want to end up with airy fluffy buds.

Thoughts?
DSC_0078.JPG
DSC_0077.JPG
IMG_5138.JPG
April 14-2.JPG

Watch these videos... it will change your thoughts on bloom nutes.

I’d be careful with your plan. Plants still need all 3 macros throughout bloom. Be careful with that much P.

Also, be sure to feed up until harvest. The feed only water so it taste less harsh has been debunked. Taste is all in a proper cure.

Watch these videos... it will change your thoughts on bloom nutes.

I’d be careful with your plan. Plants still need all 3 macros throughout bloom. Be careful with that much P.

Thank you, I'm listening now.

Based on the nutrients I mentioned, which or how would you use?

I neglected to add that I've started adding FoxFarms Cal-Mag the last 3 weeks.

Let’s pull some bottled nute experienced folks in here and see what they think. My current run is the first time I’ve used synthetic nutes, so I might not be the best for product specific advice.
@Emilya could you advise on the above please?

I'm on my first real grow and today is 3 weeks since I switched to 12/12 with my Purple Kush. The buds are coming along nicely and I'm looking for input with using flowering nutrients.

I'm in soil and a friend got me using The Urban Farm nutrients. For flowering he suggested their Extreme Bloom Nutrient that's 3.6 - 6.0 - 3.8. I've used it twice so far. I'm not sure about the Nitrogen 3.6 level in flower and bought a bottle of Humbolt's Crystal Burst 0 -15-15, and Hula Bloom 0-50-30.

I had planned to use the Urban Farm 3.6 - 6 - 3.8 at 1/3 dose and Crystal Burst at full dose for the next 2 weeks, then switch to just Hula Bloom for the next 2 weeks after that, which will bring me to week 7, then straight water flush for the remaining 2 weeks. This assumes 9 weeks.

The Urban Farm just seems to have too much Nitrogen to use all the way through flower, and not enough P&K.

Again I'm a new grower that's doing ok to this point, and don't want to screw things up this late in the game. Like everyone I'm trying to get the best results I can and don't want to end up with airy fluffy buds.

Thoughts?
Hi Meffa and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
First, let me say that your plants look great so far! What you have been doing up until now is producing some very nice looking plants and I don't see any indication that you are looking at light airy buds in the end... but that is more a factor of your lighting than anything else. Your friend is going to have to be your main resource on this nutrient line since it is not one that is commonly used and I had to look them up to see what was going on. They produce a hydroponic nutrient line that they say will work in soil too and they compare themselves to General Hydroponic, only easier... they have a one part system.
My question to you is whether your friend, who recommended this stuff to you and apparently grows successfully with it, also adds other products from outside the line. Because these are liquid nutes, the NPK numbers are lower than what you would expect with powdered nutrients, but the power is still in there. I am afraid that if you come in with your supplement with the high PK levels that you are going to totally lock the system out. I also do not understand why you are planning to use the urban farm product at 1/3 strength... again, is this what your friend does? What are you using to determine that UF has too much N... your own assumptions or from somewhere else? We now know that N is needed by these plants right up until the last few weeks.
I am just trying to wrap my head around why you are not trusting the base product to work as advertised, and why you feel you need to supplement with such powerful products, and if this is just a guess and a hope that this is going to work, or if someone else has shown you that this is a good plan.
Lastly, your plan to starve your plants in the end for 2 weeks, and thinking that this is what is known as a flush. This is better known as starvation, and if you want light airy buds, this is a good way to go about it. When you get to week 6, flush your soil of all debris and built up salts with 3x the container size in fresh clean water. This is a proper flush. Giving plain water for 2 weeks has been given an incorrect name in the youtube world, and it has fooled a lot of new growers. Giving plain water is not flushing... you can not flush a plant, it is impossible. Feed your buds right up till the end when they are growing the fastest they have ever grown and save starving them maybe for the last watering cycle. This will give you the best buds you can get... starvation for 2 weeks will not do this. If you think you are planning this starvation diet so that your buds taste better in the end... that is a myth... the only thing that takes chemical tastes out of your buds is a proper cure.

Hi Meffa and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
First, let me say that your plants look great so far! What you have been doing up until now is producing some very nice looking plants and I don't see any indication that you are looking at light airy buds in the end... but that is more a factor of your lighting than anything else. Your friend is going to have to be your main resource on this nutrient line since it is not one that is commonly used and I had to look them up to see what was going on. They produce a hydroponic nutrient line that they say will work in soil too and they compare themselves to General Hydroponic, only easier... they have a one part system.
My question to you is whether your friend, who recommended this stuff to you and apparently grows successfully with it, also adds other products from outside the line. Because these are liquid nutes, the NPK numbers are lower than what you would expect with powdered nutrients, but the power is still in there. I am afraid that if you come in with your supplement with the high PK levels that you are going to totally lock the system out. I also do not understand why you are planning to use the urban farm product at 1/3 strength... again, is this what your friend does? What are you using to determine that UF has too much N... your own assumptions or from somewhere else? We now know that N is needed by these plants right up until the last few weeks.
I am just trying to wrap my head around why you are not trusting the base product to work as advertised, and why you feel you need to supplement with such powerful products, and if this is just a guess and a hope that this is going to work, or if someone else has shown you that this is a good plan.
Lastly, your plan to starve your plants in the end for 2 weeks, and thinking that this is what is known as a flush. This is better known as starvation, and if you want light airy buds, this is a good way to go about it. When you get to week 6, flush your soil of all debris and built up salts with 3x the container size in fresh clean water. This is a proper flush. Giving plain water for 2 weeks has been given an incorrect name in the youtube world, and it has fooled a lot of new growers. Giving plain water is not flushing... you can not flush a plant, it is impossible. Feed your buds right up till the end when they are growing the fastest they have ever grown and save starving them maybe for the last watering cycle. This will give you the best buds you can get... starvation for 2 weeks will not do this. If you think you are planning this starvation diet so that your buds taste better in the end... that is a myth... the only thing that takes chemical tastes out of your buds is a proper cure.
Hi, thank you for the detailed reply.

My friend only uses the Urban Farms, nothing else. I really haven't seen any of his finished product.

To be totally honest, it's not that I don't necessarily trust the base product (Urban Farms), I just thought I needed higher PK. My thought with using the UF at 1/3 strength was to give some Nitrogen, but not that much. I've been reading so much stuff and trying to decipher things has my head spinning a bit that I finally decided to post this question.

Would you suggest I simply carry on with the Urban Farms and just leave well enough alone?

I started out in a 4x4 and recently moved into a 4x8. I have (3) 200W Black Dog LED's, and (1) SunSystem 315CMH with a 3100 Philips bulb. I'm also supplementing Co2 at 1200ppm. At the top of every hour the Co2 kicks in and I run it for 10 minutes. I let it drop on it's own for the next 20 minutes, then I vent for 30 minutes. I run the C02 this way to help control humidity. My exhaust vents to the outdoors, and my intake is sitting right above a dehumidifier exhaust so it's pulling in dry air.

I

I would first consult with your friend who has experience with the UF and ask him about the strength. Always keep in mind the disparity between the numbers when comparing wet and dry nutes.
I would suggest that in a normal growing cycle, the nute needs ramp up pretty steadily throughout veg, depending on the size of the plants. Then, there is a surge of nute needs toward the end of stretch through flower and up until week 6 or so, and then in final bloom the needs pull back a bit. I would be giving at least half strength right now and would see how they do with it, but you had some tip burning at the current rate, so you might be where you need to be ... again, consult your friend. See if he pulls back a bit in the end, or if he is one of these millennial flushers that we already talked about, you could probably better his method by feeding, at a reduced amount, right up to the end.
I also question the automatic use of calmag, if there is nothing indicating its need. I saw no signs of deficiency in either area in your plants and I would suggest discontinuing that product unless and until a need is seen. Magnesium and Calcium both restrict the availability of potassium, so it is important not to get in the way.
I would continue on with the UF, and ask your friend what he does in the way of PK boosters if anything. I too am curious as to his answer. Technically, the bloom product that UF puts out looks like it should have a bunch of extra P and K in it already, but around week 5 or so, I would probably be tempted to hit it with a bit of the Crystal 0-15-15 to give a bit of a boost.... the other product just looks like it might have way too much P in it along with the base nute. Just opinion though... its you who is going to have to experiment. Go slow... take lots of notes.

I would first consult with your friend who has experience with the UF and ask him about the strength. Always keep in mind the disparity between the numbers when comparing wet and dry nutes.
I would suggest that in a normal growing cycle, the nute needs ramp up pretty steadily throughout veg, depending on the size of the plants. Then, there is a surge of nute needs toward the end of stretch through flower and up until week 6 or so, and then in final bloom the needs pull back a bit. I would be giving at least half strength right now and would see how they do with it, but you had some tip burning at the current rate, so you might be where you need to be ... again, consult your friend. See if he pulls back a bit in the end, or if he is one of these millennial flushers that we already talked about, you could probably better his method by feeding, at a reduced amount, right up to the end.
I also question the automatic use of calmag, if there is nothing indicating its need. I saw no signs of deficiency in either area in your plants and I would suggest discontinuing that product unless and until a need is seen. Magnesium and Calcium both restrict the availability of potassium, so it is important not to get in the way.
I would continue on with the UF, and ask your friend what he does in the way of PK boosters if anything. I too am curious as to his answer. Technically, the bloom product that UF puts out looks like it should have a bunch of extra P and K in it already, but around week 5 or so, I would probably be tempted to hit it with a bit of the Crystal 0-15-15 to give a bit of a boost.... the other product just looks like it might have way too much P in it along with the base nute. Just opinion though... its you who is going to have to experiment. Go slow... take lots of notes.
I do know my friend goes full strength with the UF all the way and doesn't use anything else. He said he's tried a lot of different nutes over the years and has had the most consistent success with the UF. I'm pretty sure he does a flush at some point, but need to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom