FNG, Giving Outdoor A Try: Any Advice Is Greatly Appreciated!

DDK319

Hi All,

My name is Dan. I have had a couple failed outdoor grows in the past, and one semi-successful (1oz/plant) indoors. I am currently trying to grow 2 plants on my deck. Strain is Dosi-Dos. I got them from a grower that started them from seed.

I got them about a month ago, from indoor, and kept them indoor for another week due to crazy rain. They have been outside since and seem happy enough, although they are wider and shorter than I expected.

The only trimming I have done so far was to cut off a couple very low branches that were getting no light and had leaves sitting in the dirt. I tried to cut clones from them (using cloning gel and a covered tray). Seems like I may get 3 survivors out of 12. Better than 0, the branches had to go anyway.

I have attached a couple pictures from today. I know they look like they are lying down a bit, when I got home it was hot out with the sun cooking and the leaves were very warm to the touch so I sprayed everything with cold water before realizing I wanted pics. I'll take more later on or tomorrow if it makes a difference.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding how to trim, leave or cut fan leaves, etc. I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll just log the grow here for future reference.

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments

• 20190727_123229.jpg
    20190727_123229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
Hi All,

My name is Dan. I have had a couple failed outdoor grows in the past, and one semi-successful (1oz/plant) indoors. I am currently trying to grow 2 plants on my deck. Strain is Dosi-Dos. I got them from a grower that started them from seed.

I got them about a month ago, from indoor, and kept them indoor for another week due to crazy rain. They have been outside since and seem happy enough, although they are wider and shorter than I expected.

The only trimming I have done so far was to cut off a couple very low branches that were getting no light and had leaves sitting in the dirt. I tried to cut clones from them (using cloning gel and a covered tray). Seems like I may get 3 survivors out of 12. Better than 0, the branches had to go anyway.

I have attached a couple pictures from today. I know they look like they are lying down a bit, when I got home it was hot out with the sun cooking and the leaves were very warm to the touch so I sprayed everything with cold water before realizing I wanted pics. I'll take more later on or tomorrow if it makes a difference.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding how to trim, leave or cut fan leaves, etc. I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll just log the grow here for future reference.

Thanks,

Dan
Welcome Dan, you're doing a super job growing those babies. They look airy to me right now so I wouldn't take more from them yet. Meaning they're not too leafy and won't likely mildew so much in powder mildew season coming. Glad to have you here. Careful getting them wet in full sun. It makes spots that resemble mini magnifying glasses and can put burn spots on the leaves.

Thank you so much! Great to know about watering in the sunlight! I don't actually WATER in the sunlight, I do that at night typically (I can't bring myself to be up at sunrise). I thought spraying the leaves with cold water would be helpful on a hot sunny day - I take it you are saying I should stop that? Or maybe just shake the drops off after so just a mist remains?

Thanks again!

Dan

I couldn't help myself, they look so much happier reaching for the sun than just after being sprayed... here is one once they dried off! Also, "fun" fact, the groundhogs are climbing that fence no problem. They ate all the beans and cukes and still get any new leaves when they start to grow back. They only took a couple bites of the grape tomato and the marijuana, hopefully they don't like them and stick to my flowers (which they are also crushing!) Meh... as long as they leave these 2 girls alone after that first nibble we are good!

I realize I am becoming "that guy", I apologize and will stop after this post. I just realized what I am growing in and using for nutrients may matter. Soil is 'Happy Frog', Nutrients are 'General Hydroponics' 3 part 'Flora series', and cloning gel and spray (spray is just the solution in a spray bottle) is RX Green Solutions Life cloning solution. Pics of the clones attached.

It looks like most of the ones left in the cover died. A couple that I potted may make it, and maybe one in the tray? Too soon to tell. The happy ones in the pots came from the covered tray the other day, they were too tall and hitting the top so I moved them at 5 days. My reading says leave them in the tray for 10-14 days. I don't know what's right, but as I try and learn the ones that I moved as soon as they hit the lid seem the happiest!

Thanks for reading, and any comments or advice is greatly appreciated!

Dan

Attachments

• 20190727_134629.jpg
    20190727_134629.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190727_134640.jpg
    20190727_134640.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 119
They look healthy!

Dan,
the ladies look great, nice and green and nice looking growth, nodes, etc. i've heard that watering at night can promote mold/mildew issues depending on relative humidity, wind, in your area, etc. i've been giving my girls a little drink at the end of the day (after sun goes down, about a half gallon or so) to rinse off any salts, nutrients, after a long day in the sun. then in the a.m. i rinse again with half gallon, then give them their food (before 7 am) which is mixed in a 1 gallon milk jug. so they get about 2 gallons per day of liquid, one gallon water (half in morning, half at night), one gallon of food.
peace

Thank you all! Roaring lion, are your plants similar size to mine? Mine are getting far less water! They split a gallon of nutes every other water, the days between are about 1/2 gallon each of clean water. Then I spray maybe 1/4 gallonclean water per plant on the leaves mid day. Would more water and nutes help? I do not want to over water. The leaves feel good right now, not brittle but not heavy full of water. Amy input is much appreciated as always!

They look real good,Dan - I agree with @Bush Doctor 77 -Just let em go the way they are-
with all those branches,you're going to get plenty of yield off those girls...they are girls,right?
(feminized seeds?)

If you want to spray water on them in the sun,add 2 or 3 drops of mild (not Dawn) dish soap to the water-that'll make it wet the leaves in a sheet(?) rather than just sitting on the leaves in droplets-no burn spots that way...

If you want to spray water on them in the sun,add 2 or 3 drops of mild (not Dawn) dish soap to the water-that'll make it wet the leaves in a sheet(?) rather than just sitting on the leaves in droplets-no burn spots that way...
Why not Dawn? I use it all the time. I always figured surfactants were the same.

Why not Dawn?
It's probably fine to use,but since it's "industrial strength" compared to the cheaper stuff,I chose not to use it....just a personal choice,really.

Thank you all for the help! Yes, they came from feminized seeds, and the girls have "legs" rather than "sacks".

As an aside, it looks like only 2 of my clones are going to make it (best case - no guarantees on those 2 but the rest are goners). I'm considering cutting the branch shown in the attached pics, as it is very low and often touching the pot. Good idea? Bad idea? Any reason I can't try to turn it into a clone if I do cut it?

Also, are they starting to flower? I notice they look different at the ends of the branches, but I don't see any buds starting yet. I am wondering if it's time to change my (General Hydroponics 3 part) nutrients from "aggressive vegetation" to "transition to bloom" ratio.

Thanks again! Very glad I joined this forum, you have all been awesome and as a rookie I really appreciate the help!

Attachments

• 20190729_061824.jpg
    20190729_061824.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • 20190729_061830.jpg
    20190729_061830.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190729_061852.jpg
    20190729_061852.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 20190729_061909.jpg
    20190729_061909.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 122
I'm at 45 degrees N and my outside plants just started pre-flower with flowers appearing at all branch junctures. Time to start with the bloom phase nutes for me.
hey Bush doctor,

what do you define as "pre-flower"? mine are stretching with little hairs everywhere but no real bud "development" or growth. as mentioned elsewhere, I'm 10-11 weeks into veg. I am 50 degrees N, 120 degrees W, so should be ahead of you. sun hits my ladies directly after 7:30 am, and goes down behind mountain by 7 pm, so not even getting direct sun for 12 hours. indirect from 430 am to 8pm.

hey Bush doctor,

what do you define as "pre-flower"? mine are stretching with little hairs everywhere but no real bud "development" or growth. as mentioned elsewhere, I'm 10-11 weeks into veg. I am 50 degrees N, 120 degrees W, so should be ahead of you. sun hits my ladies directly after 7:30 am, and goes down behind mountain by 7 pm, so not even getting direct sun for 12 hours. indirect from 430 am to 8pm.
I've just learned about the term pre-flower. Heard the term but just found out it's when flowers bust out at all the stem junctions. Plants don't need direct sun for their life cycle to be triggered, just light. The plants sense the slow change and actually start the process as the days shorten, not when there are 12 hours of dark. They stop stretching in pre-flower, and will soon develop buds. Just put a bunch of high P bat crap on my greenhouse girls.

Thank you all for the help! Yes, they came from feminized seeds, and the girls have "legs" rather than "sacks".

As an aside, it looks like only 2 of my clones are going to make it (best case - no guarantees on those 2 but the rest are goners). I'm considering cutting the branch shown in the attached pics, as it is very low and often touching the pot. Good idea? Bad idea? Any reason I can't try to turn it into a clone if I do cut it?

Also, are they starting to flower? I notice they look different at the ends of the branches, but I don't see any buds starting yet. I am wondering if it's time to change my (General Hydroponics 3 part) nutrients from "aggressive vegetation" to "transition to bloom" ratio.

Thanks again! Very glad I joined this forum, you have all been awesome and as a rookie I really appreciate the help!
DDK,
how's your lovely ladies?
:blunt:

Back
Top Bottom