Germination and Sprouting tips

PaRaLyZeD-420

Growing Guru
I was given a pack of 10 seeds of Willy Jack's "Haze" and was germinating them when I thought to post a thread about how to do it. This came from emery seeds, hope it helps! wasn't sure if anyone has posted it.

Germination is a natural process and needs little from us beyond creating the environment for this to take place. The seeds need to be warm, moist and in the dark, with air exchanged regularly. This can be achieved simply by placing the seeds in a clean glass of distilled water and placing that glass somewhere warm and dark. Perhaps overnight, or after up to 2 weeks, the seed will split and a tiny root tip will emerge.
Water will need to be replaced every couple of days.
Or, lay a couple of layers of moist paper towel on a plate, being careful not to let the paper towel lay over the edge of the plate. Place the seeds on top and place more layers of paper towel on top. Cover this with another inverted plate on top and put somewhere warm. When you lift the plate to check them, let the condensation that has collected on the lid to run back onto the paper towel and they shouldn't need to be wetted again.
When the shell has cracked or the root tip has just emerged it's time to plant them in whatever medium you intend to grow them in. Plant the seed with the pointy end of the seed up. The root tip will grow down into the medium and push the seedling up through the surface. The seedling will need light and air as soon as it comes through the surface.
The greatest danger in the early seedling stage is over watering. The tiny stems cannot handle water around them at all times or they will rot and keel over. Let the surface of the medium dry before watering to avoid this, until they have become larger and stronger.
NEVER, NEVER LET THE SEEDS DRY OUT!! :allgood:

Germination test!

Heres a new technique done by the "Prince of Pot" himself Marc Emery. Found it very interesting and informative.

NEW GERMINATION TECHNIQUES

I have been experimenting with seed germination each time someone complains of seed non-germination. I have discovered some very interesting things.

Some varieties of seeds will not germinate at room temperature but germinate fine at 90 degrees, about 20 degrees higher than room temperature.

I took the Golden Triangle Thai, Mikado (Federation), Dutch Treat and placed 20 seeds in a moistened porcelain bowl with sterile water, seeds between paper towels (plastic wrap over bowl to keep in moisture) and left them in a cupboard. The temp there was 68 degrees on average.

I took 20 each of the same 3 strains and put them in between paper towels moistened with sterile water (with plastic wrap over the bowls too keep in all moisture) right above an electric baseboard heater where the measurable temperature was 90 - 92 degrees.

In the first group, The Golden Triangle Thai had 2 germinate out of 20, Mikado had 3 out of 20, Dutch Treat had 4 out of 20, and these took up to 4 days to pop.

In the second hotter group, 9 of 20 Golden Triangle popped within 5 days, 15 Mikado popped within 72 hours, and 12 Dutch Treat popped within 96 hours.

Wow, I was so impressed, and yet at the same time fascinated that I had never heard of this before. All these strains are equatorial in origin, so they need hot weather conditions to pop (like in nature where they come from, I imagine). The Mikado had swollen to about twice their size, and the Golden Triangle and Dutch Treat increases in size by about 50%, allowing a vigorous shoot to emerge.

I haven't tested this on other strains, typically I always just put 'em in the cupboard and they pop, but now I am going to do some tests on old seeds, various new seeds, and see what happens at higher temperatures.

Marc Emery Direct Marijuana Seeds

I've tried every way possible and I find that simply placing the seeds in a cup filled with room temp. water works the quickest and best.

its not luck its nature, lol. but yeah i like to just plant them or just leave them in water for 24 hours that way i dont have to mess with root

i know it's nature, lol, I don't like to mess with the root that much either, they are so delicate at the early stages. But if you germinate you have a little better idea of how many will sprout and if you take proper care they'll have a better chance of making it.

hello i know someone who got willyjack seeds 4 packs of 10 he took 5 from 1 and 5 from another and just put in buckets with miricel grow and watered all 10 poped within 3 days mayby you should try that,unless your doing hydro.just thought you might get better results but seeds need to be fresh have a nice day

the best way i have found to germinate seed is to put them between two paper towel and put in a zip lock baggie. then put them in a warm place (the warmer the condition the quicker the germination takes place with moststrains)

daniel3001 said:
the best way i have found to germinate seed is to put them between two paper towel and put in a zip lock baggie. then put them in a warm place (the warmer the condition the quicker the germination takes place with moststrains)

this method works well also, cause instead of using plates you can seal the moisture in using a baggy.I've never actually tried it myself but know others who have, next time I'm going to give it a chance. :Rasta:

PaRaLyZeD-420 said:
this method works well also, cause instead of using plates you can seal the moisture in using a baggy.I've never actually tried it myself but know others who have, next time I'm going to give it a chance. :Rasta:
yeah dude thats always worked for me. i found it eaiser than trying to seal water inbetween two plates and they usually germinate at the same rate if kept at the same temp!

i tried the paper towel metod and it worked great, now after about 3 days after planting it I have a plant that is about 2 inches, but i am not sure when to transplant.

also when planting the seeds make sure to get it at least a half inch or so downotherwise the root will grow out of the dirt and turn it upside down.

So for me it's hit or miss. For the past 2 years 2 to 3 indoor grows per year I put the seeds in water for 24 hrs. then into paper towels and then into organic soil and get if not 100% 99% and I always start with double the amount I'm looking to grow out, this way I can pick the best of the group. Then there are the seeds I buy. Usually 5 seeds 2 strains and they throw in 2 or 3 free ones, well in this past 2 years, maybe twice a year, I'll try a new way something new and I end up with zip nothing. I'll start, I don't get any shoots so I end up digging for them and replanting making sure the rootlet is pointing down I get stupid. I keep thinking the seeds I made since I have many I'm less stressed and don't do stupid stuff but when I've got 5 or 1 of a kind I get fresh soil and bottled water and all goes to ----, root rot, seed rot and just failure. I put a curse on myself and seeds to end up as a failure. I hope I learned something from putting this truth on paper.

Back
Top Bottom