GH Flora Series Question

iwltfum

So a friend brought up an interesting point the other day that I have never noticed...The Flora series feed chart does not include calmag, except in the "Nutrient solution tips" section where it says, "When growing plants in coco medium or with reverse osmosis water use 5ml of CALiMAGic during the first two weeks". Where the floraduo chart has it included in the chart all the way up until late bloom. Is this because the micro bottle has enough calcium and magnesium that the calmag is not necessary? I have always used calmag throughout the veg AND bloom cycles while using the flora series without it seeming to damage my plants. What do you guys think about this? Anybody use it all the way through or am I wasting my calmag?

There are two kinds of Flora Micro. One for hard-water and one for RO. You should only need calmag if you using the hard-water one with RO water.

If it does not say Hard-water one it. Then it is the one for RO and you most likely will not need calmag for most plants.

There are two kinds of Flora Micro. One for hard-water and one for RO. You should only need calmag if you using the hard-water one with RO water.

If it does not say Hard-water one it. Then it is the one for RO and you most likely will not need calmag for most plants.

I've been using the non-hard water micro with RO for 16 harvests now. yikes. guess i"ll back off. Thanks for the info dukeO!

I've been using the non-hard water micro with RO for 16 harvests now. yikes. guess i"ll back off. Thanks for the info dukeO!

I use calmag throughout the entire watering process myself. Something does not seem right about the hard water version vs. the standard. If you did not use ro water, the grow would be getting calcium through the unfiltered water the entire time, so it does not make sense to cut off a cal mag supplement with ro water after 2 weeks if otherwise the grow would still be getting calcium through unfiltered water.

I use calmag throughout the entire watering process myself. Something does not seem right about the hard water version vs. the standard. If you did not use ro water, the grow would be getting calcium through the unfiltered water the entire time, so it does not make sense to cut off a cal mag supplement with ro water after 2 weeks if otherwise the grow would still be getting calcium through unfiltered water.

That was my original thought process, but it also makes sense that, since they expect you to be using RO water with the non-hardwater micro, they would add appropriate amounts of calcium and magnesium to balance the solution since it says on the chart to use calmag for only the first two weeks. Can't decide either way, I backed way off on the calmag although not completely, I figure I'll know either way by how it performs in a week or so

I kind of wondered the same thing concerning CalMag and GH trio. I've been told that LED light grows should be supplemented with additional Cal/Mag, but the amount required seems to up for debate. GH replied that they suggest their Cal/Mad supplement (of course), but I'm new to GH products and the jury is still out since I haven't derived a yield yet from using their nutes. In the past I have broken the "rule" most folks have regarding the use of MG products (I've used MG and Peters for many years on all kinds of house plants, fruits and veggies), and I've had no bad luck in any manner in the past. I was herded into the GH products since everyone raves about them, but I would have hoped for the price that the GH trio has sufficient Cal/Mag without supplementing with yet another expensive bottle.

There are two kinds of Flora Micro. One for RO and the Hard-water one. I have used GH three part with Hard-water for years without the need for CalMag. I use GH 3 part with hard-water Flora Micro and z7 water treatment and it is working great for me in DWC. With RO you may need to add a little extra CalMag. My tap water is 300ppm. So it depends on your setup and the stains your running to how much CalMag you may need. But it should not be very much of it.

I kind of wondered the same thing concerning CalMag and GH trio. I've been told that LED light grows should be supplemented with additional Cal/Mag, but the amount required seems to up for debate. GH replied that they suggest their Cal/Mad supplement (of course), but I'm new to GH products and the jury is still out since I haven't derived a yield yet from using their nutes. In the past I have broken the "rule" most folks have regarding the use of MG products (I've used MG and Peters for many years on all kinds of house plants, fruits and veggies), and I've had no bad luck in any manner in the past. I was herded into the GH products since everyone raves about them, but I would have hoped for the price that the GH trio has sufficient Cal/Mag without supplementing with yet another expensive bottle.

Compare the micro label against the Flora Nova Bloom label... The FNB is a complete fertilizer in one bottle... GH states that it's a complete fert. for hydroponic systems.... It has the micro nutes , plus it has 3% citric acid as a buffer... It's all i ever use, and never go higher than 1000-1100 ppm....

Compare the micro label against the Flora Nova Bloom label... The FNB is a complete fertilizer in one bottle... GH states that it's a complete fert. for hydroponic systems.... It has the micro nutes , plus it has 3% citric acid as a buffer... It's all i ever use, and never go higher than 1000-1100 ppm....

There is no micro for floranova.... And the micro for the three part has tons of minerals that the three part bloom does not include. Thanks for getting me to read the labels though. I probably should have done that before I asked the question.

Three part micro includes 5% calcium and no magnesium.
Three part bloom however includes 1.5% magnesium and no calcium.
Three part grow includes 0.5% magnesium and no calcium.

My tests over the past couple of weeks show that my plants need cal-mag supplementation despite the fact that the bottles include a halfway decent amount of both. When I backed off the supplement completely, I first noticed signs of magnesium deficiency in bloom about 5 or 6 days after I stopped adding it (sure sign that what I took away was need by the plant) So I started using it at about 3/4 of the rate I had been using it before (3ml per gallon) and the deficiencies went away.

There is no micro for Flora Nova Bloom because it already has them in it.... 2% Mag, 4% Cal, and all the other stuff you get get in a bottle of micro.... Plus a buffer for the ph.... I don't get the point you're trying to make??: I'm just saying it's all I use and it has never come up short on anything.... The only problem comes when you mix it to strong.... I use it for coco/perlite and rdwc .. seems to simple, but that's how it's been for me... I can't link to an off site thread to prove my point, but you could google: scottyballs pineapple express seed to harvest .. and see what can be done with this tech.. A little reading will prove it's worth.....

There is no micro for Flora Nova Bloom because it already has them in it.... 2% Mag, 4% Cal, and all the other stuff you get get in a bottle of micro.... Plus a buffer for the ph.... I don't get the point you're trying to make??: I'm just saying it's all I use and it has never come up short on anything.... The only problem comes when you mix it to strong.... I use it for coco/perlite and rdwc .. seems to simple, but that's how it's been for me... I can't link to an off site thread to prove my point, but you could google: scottyballs pineapple express seed to harvest .. and see what can be done with this tech.. A little reading will prove it's worth.....

I wasn't talking about flora nova. I have no interest in using a different line than I'm using. I'm sure flora nova works great, but the original post is about flora series (different that flora nova).
My point was that I have been do tests on this for two and a half weeks and my results indicate that you DO need cal-mag with Flora series.

It's a matter of curiosity about what works BEST. I run GH three part (flora series) in coco and dwc too and I'm pulling .75lbs per plant. I'm just trying to make it work better for me by optimizing my system.

Back
Top Bottom