Going to try popping 10yo seeds

TheNumber1Guy

Hello all,
As mentioned in in this thread, I have seeds for 2 strains (and potentially up to 3 more) that might be lost. One strain is Linda Seeds NYC Diesel Auto, the other is DNA Genetics Sleestack. Sleestack was discontinued according to Herbies. I have 5 non-fem seeds for it that I want to turn into lots of seeds. Only problem is they are from 2013 lol. The NYC Diesel Auto seeds are only 3 years old by comparison lol. All the seeds have been stored in dark, dry conditions in Mylar bags with desiccant at a pretty steady 68-70F.

Apparently NYC Diesel Auto wasn’t intentionally discontinued, the genetics were unintentionally lost based on the info I have found. They may have lost 3 other strains in the same incident. I have multiple seeds for all 4 strains. I’ve reached out to Linda Seeds to confirm, and if that’s the case, and they want them, I’ll ship them off to them.
That leaves me with wanting to make lots of Sleeslack seeds.

However, there’s a few factors at play here; I am a novice infrequent grower, I only have space for a micro grow (an 18x18” and a 24x24” tent), and it’s been +2 years since my last grow (although it did go well)

That being said, I want to do a practice run before trying to pop my only Sleeslack seeds. Conveniently enough, I have 5 seeds each for 4 or 5 other strains from that same order that have been stored right along with them in the same bag. I’ve decided I will try to pop the Buddha’s Sister seeds since those are still commonly available and should be able to fit in my tent.

I’m going to ramble on here for a bit, but I’m brainstorming and going to use this post as my notes lol

I’m not going to get too crazy with making the seeds pop, just scuff them, soak them till they sink, then put in a damp paper towel in a container in a spot that says 78-80f. If they do pop, I’m pretty much just going to follow how my last grow was done; I’ll put them in Jiffy peat pellets in a dome under ~200ppfd of full spectrum LED’s and give them a super light feeding till they sprout roots out of the peat pellet , then transplant into 1 or 2 gallon fabric pots (depending on how many there are, if any) with 80/20 buffered coir/pearlite treated with Azomite for Si, start them on 1/4 strength ~6.5ph MaxiGro with drain to waste feedings every 4 hours and bump the PPFD to ~400. As it grows, I’ll keep bumping the nutrient PPM until I get around 800, along with increasing light. I have a PPFD meter I will use. Light stress from too much LED light was one of the only problems my last grow had. My filtered tap water is very hard and mineral rich @ 280ppm on its own. Between using that and the coir buffering, I hope to not need CalMag, but I’ll be ready if I do.

This strain was bred to stay short and is supposed to have lots of side branches, but it does have a quite a bit of stretch (+300%). I don’t know if I will top or LST it yet. I’ll need to flip light and nutes to bloom pretty quickly to keep it short. Probably will only veg for 2-3 weeks I think.
The number of plants and sex will determine what I do. I might be able to get a male and female and let nature take its course. If I only have female(s) then I’ll have to reverse and make fem seeds out of them. If only males.... well hopefully that doesn’t happen. After the pollination, I’ll just keep feeding them and let them take how ever long they need to plump up and drop big healthy seeds.

Wish me luck!

41D75D63-BF0E-4E2C-BD82-75FA59841303.jpeg

It occurred to me while I was reading the start of your germinating experiment that the commercial seeds of the past 10-20 years are a lot better than the seeds found in our nickel and dime bags back in the day.

Growers want their seeds and they want them to have the best possible germination rates for the first couple of years. Otherwise, if very few of them sprout the customers are going to go looking somewhere else.

A lot different than the found seeds which were a nuisance to some local farmer who harvested as fast as possible to avoid the police and govt from finding the field.

Keep us up to date. It sounds like you might have a fun little project.

Back
Top Bottom