Grafting to increase canopy

jlt1202

Hey there i have giving grafting a shot for something to keep me busy while i wait for them to grow : ), i was doing some bending on my plant to increase the canopy thickness, and one of the bigger nicer ones snapped on me :oops:
But i thought it would be a good importunity to give grafting a shot!

The piece i took of the sister of the plant i planed to attached to.

image_113.jpeg

Once i pic my site, i take a cut and try to keep in middle of the branch

image_213.jpeg

then i shave the trimming, use a lil root gel just to make it seal better, and take a thin wedge into the cut i made in the branch

image_310.jpeg

I see alot of pll taping there plants but i find it hard to remove the tape after completion so i use string and tie VERY tight to the branch to hold the stem inside

image_48.jpeg

Lastly i slip a bag over and mist with lil water then tie off to hold in moister :)

image44.jpeg

Did this on 4/2/13 so ill give a update on changes when i see them happin

Subd bro...and watching closely

Happy for the input : ) im learning that experimenting happens to keep you busy and not playing around too much with your main crop ; p haha

I've not seen much grafting done before when concerning MJ before... but observed a few people doing it.

Should be reasonable easy providing the growing enviroment is hygienic :thumb:

Some times the grafted joint is a weakness when bearing heavy fruit & maybe prone to breaking.

I've not seen much grafting done before when concerning MJ before... but observed a few people doing it.

Some times the grafted joint is a weakness when bearing heavy fruit & maybe prone to breaking.

with using the string the stem actually grows around the string and makes a grove so it slides on it nice lol

im acually doing it on the same strain and that is because its the only other plant that would have strong enough stems to hold the cut up, my other plants are still in 2 weeks in veg

I agree fuzzy, from my experience it takes a while for the cambium to knit back together. When grafting fruit trees we have seasons for the grafts to take and mend, with the cannabis we have only a short window to make a variety of things happen. I have heard time estimates of......say 5 days, for the cambium to mend........I don't buy that......a super fast growing tomato, in a greenhouse, under optimal conditions, with the benefit of every modern notion and potion wouldn't mend in a semester, let alone bear fruit. We will have some better conclusions soon!

Interesting experiment, but you might just have too much free time! :winkyface:
When I break a branch, I try to immediately reattach it. If not, it goes into the trash.

So you're planning to leave the string there permanently?

I've always seen grafts done with that plastic tape stuff that is like tape but without adhesive. It's real soft and pliable, so you can just wrap the graft up and it keeps in moisture and provides the physical support it needs. This sort of thing:
Garden Tape (150-feet)
Seems like that stuff would work great for grafts.

i was bending my plants to make them grow more nodes and get bushy'er ... when i was doing so i broke a big node and i felt bad just tossing it so i thought i would practice it on the other plant, later when i have muti strains i might do that with my mother plants so i can send the mother's straind into flower with the other strains, lil bit of boardem and practice mixed in one lol

IMG_034915.JPG

this is a light example of bending, the top one that is on its side i bent day or so befor that pic and u ALMOST break the steam but not more then a 50-60% break lol

When I break a branch, I try to immediately reattach it. If not, it goes into the trash.

So you're planning to leave the string there permanently?

I've always seen grafts done with that plastic tape stuff that is like tape but without adhesive. It's real soft and pliable, so you can just wrap the graft up and it keeps in moisture and provides the physical support it needs. This sort of thing:
Garden Tape (150-feet)
Seems like that stuff would work great for grafts.

I have used rubber strips.....like a strip of rubber band, then coated with grafting compound....tree seal to be exact. The elastics can be tucked under one another in such a way that no knot is required, and the pressure is distributed more evenly across the union to prevent circulation deprivation.

LOL yep kinda! i did try to make the brand reattach but it browned and sealed off in 3 days, but the top was still healthy (but wilting) so i thought i would give it a shot and if i dosnt work, it would have been trash anyway ; P

I agree fuzzy, from my experience it takes a while for the cambium to knit back together. When grafting fruit trees we have seasons for the grafts to take and mend, with the cannabis we have only a short window to make a variety of things happen. I have heard time estimates of......say 5 days, for the cambium to mend........I don't buy that......a super fast growing tomato, in a greenhouse, under optimal conditions, with the benefit of every modern notion and potion wouldn't mend in a semester, let alone bear fruit. We will have some better conclusions soon!

Aye i've seen plenty of fruit tree grafting done before but only hard some experience at root stock grafting with rose's before which is a pretty common practice these days & believe some fruit trees are grafted in this manner.

The grafting of MJ should be sound with in reason depending if you wish to graft different strains on differnet bush of a differnet genetic basis... don't really see any really problem tho.

But should be fine if the plant is kept in veg intill fully healed... may prolong vegitive stage tho ?

So in theory you should be able to graft X amount of different strains to one plant or root stock of MJ, not that i've tryed this but only seen one person try here at 420... i shall attempt to find that post tho :love:

Aye i've seen plenty of fruit tree grafting done before but only hard some experience at root stock grafting with rose's before which is a pretty common practice these days & believe some fruit trees are grafted in this manner.

The grafting of MJ should be sound with in reason depending if you wish to graft different strains on differnet bush of a differnet genetic basis... don't really see any really problem tho.

But should be fine if the plant is kept in veg intill fully healed... may prolong vegitive stage tho ?

So in theory you should be able to graft X amount of different strains to one plant or root stock of MJ, not that i've tryed this but only seen one person try here at 420... i shall attempt to find that post tho :love:

Ya, x amount, and yes I believe you will have a longer veg period to ensure that union can hold the weight of flowers.

i was bending my plants to make them grow more nodes and get bushy'er ... when i was doing so i broke a big node and i felt bad just tossing it so i thought i would practice it on the other plant, later when i have muti strains i might do that with my mother plants so i can send the mother's straind into flower with the other strains, lil bit of boardem and practice mixed in one lol

That's probably the best reason you could have given. :Namaste:
I've never done one myself, so maybe I'll try it someday.

^plus they are ready to flower but i dont have the light to flower them yet so all i have been doing the last week is bending and light defoiling to allow new sites to pop up. Looking to get a induction and 1000w soon i hope, partner and me are trying to get both veg room and flower set up. (geting a 12 bulb t5 est lum 55,000 so that should fill the room with light : )

^plus they are ready to flower but i dont have the light to flower them yet so all i have been doing the last week is bending and light defoiling to allow new sites to pop up. Looking to get a induction and 1000w soon i hope, partner and me are trying to get both veg room and flower set up. (geting a 12 bulb t5 est lum 55,000 so that should fill the room with light : )

Yep, the t5s are greeeeat for veg! is that graft standing up?

Back
Top Bottom