Great Mycorrhiza Information

So what is the great information. All i see is kids arguing over whose team they think is better? Just saying.

I am trying to move forward with retention of knowledge regardless of agreement with subject. I guess another way to say it I am looking at the science of this thing we do. It makes more sense to me than how great someone believes or has others believing they R. Science of it, is done most times without bias. That is what I think that other dude was asking also back near the beginning. opinions can fluctuate,facts are things in existence from having obtained the knowledge or done the science. Not sure if that is any more explained.

Figured I'd share more info and keep it to this thread. I've been trying to research the whole Trichoderma and Mycorrhizae debate. Some claim the Trichoderma will eat the glomus fungis and others say there is a synergistic relationship created.

So, of course, you have some companies that use only mycorrhizae and others use trichoderma in their mix.

From what I've found so far it's a pretty even debate, some studies say one thing, more studies say another. I've found more positive results for the mix then I have negative.

An important question to ask is, what trichoderma are companies using? It would seem not all trichoderma is antagonistic towards mycorrhizae which is an important thing to note. [reference]

Here is an exert from an article I found which discusses mycorrhizae and trichoderma:

Trichoderma compatibility with Mycorrhizal fungi

Arbuscular mycorrhizal (AMF) fungi are another wide spread, naturally occurring soil micro organism which forms a beneficial relationship with the roots of many plant species. Just as with Trichoderma species, enhanced growth and disease suppression has been well documented with the use of mycorrhizal fungi inoculated in the root zone of cropping plants (15) . Given that Trichoderma is such a strong predator and competitor of other species of fungi in the root zone, there has been concern in the past that negative interactions between Trichoderma and mycorrhizal inoculants could occur, thus making one or both fungi inactive and therefore incompatible. While numerous scientific studies have been carried out to determine if Trichoderma verses mycorrhizal antagonism does exist when both are introduced to the root zone of certain plant species, conflicting results have been reported.

The problem identifying if this sort of interaction does occur is that in biological systems there are multiple factors affecting the result. Not only are there many species of Trichoderma with different characteristics and abilities to predate other fungi, but mycorrhizal fungi also contain a number of species including Glomus claroideum, Glomus mosseae, Glomus intraradicesGlomus geosporum. Furthermore the conditions in which the fungi are introduced, the crop species tested, growing media, presence of other microbial life and a host of other factors affect the result of fungal interactions. While one study (Green et al, 1999) found that the Mycorrhizal fungi G. intraradices had an averse effect on Trichoderma harzianum, yet another study (Martinez-Medina et al, 2009) reported that combined inoculation with these two species provided better disease control results and a general synergistic effect than other Mycorrhizal species tested. and

Many other studies have found a synergist effect when Trichoderma was use in combination with certain species of Mycorrhizal fungi. It has been reported that dual inoculation of peat substrate with a mixture of 4 species of Mycorrhizal fungi and Trichoderma harzianum showed a significant effect on the growth and flowering of cyclamen plants (12), while another study found that more plant biomass was produced in a peat-perlite mixture when the mycorrhizal fungus Glomus mosseaeTrichoderma aureoviridae (13) . Other researchers have also reported that various microbial inoculants such as Trichoderma and others showed no negative effects on Mycorrhizal establishment (14), while others have reported that combinations of Mycorrhizal fungi species with Trichoderma harzianum and other beneficial fungi have a synergistic effect and give greater increases in growth and disease resistance when combined (15, 16, 17) . It has been suggested that the differing results reporting the influence of Mycorrhizal fungi on other micro organisms is probably not only due to the combination and species of Mycorrhizal fungi evaluated but also the conditions such as nutrient availability when the studies were carried out (20) . was combined with

The bulk of the scientific evidence suggests however that the species of Trichoderma and Mycorrhiza commonly used as inoculants in soil and hydroponics are compatible and potentially synergistic when used in combination. Trichoderma and Mycorrhiza carry out different but potentially very beneficial roles in the root zone of plants, involving not only protection from many pathogens, but also nutritional and growth benefits.

Also here are the sources for the references made in this article:

References and Sources of information

1. Harmen G E, Howell C R, Viterbo A, Chet I and Lorito M., 2004. Trichoderma species – opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts. Nature Reviews Microbiology Vol.2 pp43-56.

2. Harmen G E., 2006. Overview of mechanisms and uses of Trichoderma spp. Phytopathology Vol. 96(2) pp 190-194.

3. Yedidia I, Srivastva A K, Kapulnik Y and Chet I., 2001. Effect of Trichoderma harzianum on micro element concentrations and increased growth of cucumber plants. Plant and Soil Vol.235 pp 235-242,

4. Verma M, Mrar S K, Tyagi R D, Surampalli R Y and Valero J R., 2007. Antagonistic fungi, Trichoderma spp,: Panoply of biological control. Biochemial Engineering Journal Vol.37 pp1-20.

5. Aerts R, De Schutter B and Rombouts L., 2002. Suppression of Pythium Spp. by Trichoderma spp. during germination of tomato seeds in soilless growing media. Meded Riijsuniv Gent Fak Landbouwkd Toegep Bio Wet. Vol.67(2) pp 343-351.

6. Postma J, van Os E and Bonants E J M., 2008. Pathogen detection and management strategies in soilless plant growing systems. In: Soilless Culture theory and practice, Elsevier. London UK.

7. De Schutter B, Aerts R and Rombouts L., 2001. Colonisation of soilless growing media for tomato by Trichoderma harzianum. Meded Riijksuniv Gent Fak Landbouwkd Biol Wet. Vol. 66(2a) pp205-212.

8. Mukherjee P K and Raghu K., 1997. Effectof temperature on antagonistic and biocontrol potential of Trichoderma sp. On Sclerotium rolfsii. Mycopathologia Vol.139, pp151-155.

9. Siddiqui Z A and Akhtar M S., 2008. Synergist effects of antagonisitc fungi and a plant growth promoting rhizobacterium, an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus, or composted cow manure on populations of Meloidogyne incognita and growth of tomato. Biocontrol Science and Technology Vol. 18(3) pp 279-290.

10. Green H, Larsen J, Olsson P A, Jensen D F,and Jakobsen I., 1999. Suppression of the Biocontrol agent Trichoderma harzianum by Mycelium of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices in root-free soil. Applied and Environmental Microbiology Vol.65(4) pp1428-1434.

11. Martinex-Medina A , Pascual J A, Lloret E and Roldan A., 2009. Interactions bewteen arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and Trichoderma harzianum and their effects on Fusarium wilt in melon plants grown in seedling nurseries. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture Vol.89 (11) pp1843-1850.

12. Dubsky M, Sramek F and Vosatka M., 2002. Inoculation of cyclamen and pointsettia with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and Trichoderma harzianum. Rostlinna Vyroba Vol.48(2) pp63-68.

13. Calvet C, Pera J ande Barea J M., 1993. Growth response of Marigold to inoculation with Glomus mosseae, Trichoderma aureoviride and Pythium ultiumum in a peat-perlite mixture. Plant and Soil Vol.148 pp1-6.

14. Mar Vazquez M M, Cesar S, Azcon R and Barea J M., 2000. Interactions between arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and other microbial inoculants (Azospirillum, Pseudomonas, Trichoderma) and their effects on microbial population and enzyme activities in the rhizosphere of maize plants. Applied Soil Ecology Vol.15(3) pp261-272.

15. Srinath J, Bagyaraj D J and Satyanarayana B N., 2003. Enhanced growth and nutrition of micropropagated Ficus benjamina to Glomus mosseae co-inoculated with Trichoderma harzianum and Bacillus coagulans. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology Vol.19 pp69-72.

16. Srivastava R, Khalid A, Singh US and Sharma A K., 2010. Evalution of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus, fluorescent Pseudomonas and Trichoderma harzianum formulation against Fusarium oxysporum F. sp. Lycopersici for the management of tomato wilt. Biological Control Vol. 53(1) pp24-31.

17. Waechter-Kristensen B, Gertsson U E and Sundin P., 1994. Prospects for microbial stabilisation in the hydroponic culture of tomato using circulating nutrient solution. Acta Horticulturae vol 361.

18. Gravel V, Martinex C, Antoun H and Tweddell., 2006. Control of tomato root rot (Pythium ultimum) in hydroponic systems using plant-growth-promoting mico organisms. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology. Vol.28 pp 475-483.

19. Monte E., 2001. Understanding Trichoderma: between biotechnology and microbial ecology. Int. Microbiology Vol. 4 pp 1-4.

20. Hodge A., 2000. Microbial ecology of the arbuscular mycorrhiza. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Vol.32(2) pp 91-96.

21. Hyder N, Sims, J J and Wegula S N., 2009. In vitro suppression of soilbourne plant pathogens by coir. HortTechnology Vol. 19(1) pp96-100

22. Vargas W A, Mandawe J C, Kenerley C M., 2009. Plant-derived sucrose is a key element in the symbiotic association between Trichoderma and Maize plants. Plant Physiology Vol. 151(2) pp792-808.

A question I had for a long time is also answered from the article:

What do Trichoderma use as a food source?

Trichoderma release two main types of enzymes in their quest for sustenance – these are different types of cellulases and chitinases. Cellulase enzymes break down cellulose which is a component of plant cells, organic matter and crop residues. Chitinase breaks down Chitin which is a structural component of fungal cell walls (and insect exoskeletons). It is thought that Trichoderma switches the production of these two main enzymes on and off depending on what its main source of food is at the current time. In composts, bark, coconut fiber and other `organic’ type substrates there is initially plenty of cellulose to feed on, later on in the crop cycle, plant residues, exudates, dead roots and other organic material are also available for the Trichoderma to digest. Other fungi (certain species of Trichoderma are specific for certain fungi, while others have a wider range of prey) are a easily digested food source through activation of chitinase enzymes and the Trichoderma will actually coil around the host fungi and penetrate the cell walls fairly rapidly

This would lead me to believe that mycorrhizae + trichoderma is a positive relationship. It must be the right strain of trichoderma to prevent any issues. Also with the type of rich soil most growers are using there is plenty for the trichoderma to feed on, which would mean they have no reason to eat the glomus fungi. It would seem they would only go after that fungi if it were a certain trichoderma and/or if it were desperate with nothing else to feed on.

In our rich soil it has all it's food which would mean it leaves the mycorrhizae to do it's thing and as time passes the plant provides more food. In my opinion companies that tell you trichoderma eat the mycorrhizae and it's bad may not have fully researched the subject. If they do tell you this, at the very least let's be sure they seem educated on some of the things I've posted in this thread.

Here is an interesting read about mycorrhiza and trichoderma, specifically Glomus mosseae (G), Trichoderma harzianum (T)

Redirect Notice

Also one of the forum sponsors, PRO MIX has a mycorrhizae product, PUR. It is one of the higher quality mycorrhiza on the market, I prefer their powder over the granular. I just found a video they have which is pretty good at explaining mychorrizae in general, great for someone new to the topic:

PRO-MIX ® PUR

Also they have a great diagram on their website here:

Mycorrihzae Premier Tech

Here is a link about Glomus Mosseae and Cannabis:

The arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus mosseae induces growth and metal accumulation changes in Cannabis sativa L. - PubMed - NCBI

On my hunt to become more informed about this great fungi here is some more great reads I have come across: UAF/CES Publications :: Home

I'm interested in single species vs multi-species now. I haven't found much scientific evidence to prove a single species is superior. Here is a reference from the USDA: UAF/CES Publications :: Home

Here is an exert from that for those who don't want to read it all: "Our findings show that different AM fungi affect their host plant and host soil differently, and further, that a community of fungi acting in concert is likely to provide greater benefit to the plant-soil system than a single species."

I just did a search to try and find more findings about colonization competition and couldn't find anything really. If anyone has more to share please do, and include sources.

:Namaste:

Have you read the book "Teeming with Microbes"? Fungi are just a small part of the big picture.

Glomus mosseae was the most competitive species at pH 6.8

Glomus mosseae at pH 6.8 seems to be what I am looking for, then :)

Do you think that would work alone? we are only talking about a 4 month lifecycle, after all.

Can I buy this, JJ?

Mycorrhizae fungi glomus Mosseae 75g 800 spores g mycorrhiza mycorrhizal mossea | eBay

Found this Strigolactone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strigolactones are plant hormones that stimulate the branching and growth of symbiotic arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, increasing the probability of contact and establishment of a symbiotic association between the plant and fungus.[1][2] Strigolactones also inhibit plant shoot branching,[3][4] and trigger germination of parasitic plant seeds (for example Striga, from which they gained their name).[5] Strigolactones are carotenoid-derived and contain a labile ether bond that is easily hydrolyzed in the rhizosphere, meaning that there is a large concentration gradient between areas near the root and those further away.

Glomus mosseae
at pH 6.8 seems to be what I am looking for, then :)

Do you think that would work alone? we are only talking about a 4 month lifecycle, after all.

Can I buy this, JJ?

Mycorrhizae fungi glomus Mosseae 75g 800 spores /g mycorrhiza mycorrhizal mossea | eBay

Sorry for the delayed response, yes you can give that a try! I would talk to the seller to see who they are, could be lying about spore count because who is going to check right?

But hell, worth a shot.

I just wanted to let everyone know I reached out to a Dr. Robert Linderman who is a well respected mycologist and has worked with the USDA and been involved with mycorrhizae for a long time. I spoke with his daughter who is also a mycologist to my understanding and she confirmed essentially everything I've posted here.

Single species vs multi species plus the trichoderma debate.

Back
Top Bottom