Grow Box size question

kokoiv

Hey guys, greets from ger

So far i've been reading through this site since about close to 1 year from time to time now.
Im thinking about starting a (very) small grow, due to better analyse and "introduction" first. Trying myself on a big one which will fail (and i hope to fail and aprove )on high possiblity anyway is way too riscy in my current situation. Im planning on going bigger after a few successful grows. I dont even rlly care of waiting 2 weeks plant by plant to see if its a she or not. So yea what i thought about is starting with one plant, just in a small growbox. My actual question is what sized growbox would i need just for one single plant. I would like to use the growbox from germination until harvest. Or would you recommend a second for such a small project?

I decided to grow some sort of indica due to its tinyer height. Aswell, growing with help of the organic - grow topics on this site.
Any recommendation for a small indica babe fitting in this project?

Thanks for your time, :thanks:

Re: Grow Box size question.

I would suggest something autoflowering from the Joint Doctor. Something like Lowryder #2, or Dieselryder. They stay very short and finish quickly. They will get your feet wet nicely. Start with fem seeds so that you have the best chance to get a female...since you will only be growing 1 plant.

As to your question about the size of your grow...it really depends on the type of light you will be using. I'm assuming you will use CFL's and with those you will probably need something that is at least 3-4 feet tall. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I dont know if I'd go autoflower quite yet especially for your first grow... but any good Indica or majority Indica in Hybrid will stay short and compact. Even with a sativa you can LST, ScrOG, so many ways to reduce height. I'd start off with an Indica, generally smaller and more forgiving. Get used to veg time, flower time. Plus it'll open you up to every strain, not just autoflowers. You can make a really cheap growbox, that works just as effectively as most grow tents.

With a smaller growbox, you can make a chamber for veg and flower, with great yields and a relatively short turn around time.

How many plants were you thinking to grow? How much space would you dedicate to your grow? What type of lighting would you want to go with?

You can certainly do better than I did cost wise on a grow box but I've got one in my signature, growing indica's with one sativa/indica mix.

Check it out. I've got about 4' of vertical space and they aren't even close to that and I'm almost 2 weeks into flower.

:Namaste:

Yeah, I dont know if I'd go autoflower quite yet especially for your first grow...

I suggested auto's because they are by far the easiest things to grow. My very very first grow I grew auto's and I'm glad I did. Didn't have to worry about light schedules or room...and I fucked up the light schedule many times. They never hermied and I got a decent yield out of them. With auto's, all you really need to do is keep them alive and you will still get some weed out of it. Just my personal experience, that's all.

First of all thanks for your replies.

You both make me having a hard decision. Actually it doesnt matter to me if my first plant will be really successful or not. Just as Thew1sest suggested i could just see how they react in any stage, Try, error and improve. Having an easy plant which wont require me to understand light shedules and such probs wont help me on harder grows later on.

You can certainly do better than I did cost wise on a grow box but I've got one in my signature, growing indica's with one sativa/indica mix.

Check it out. I've got about 4' of vertical space and they aren't even close to that and I'm almost 2 weeks into flower.

This really looks great, i for sure will use some of this stuff. Thank you m8.

How many plants were you thinking to grow? How much space would you dedicate to your grow? What type of lighting would you want to go with?

I thought about growing plants one by one in the beginning, getting used to the diffrent stages, watering, feeding. Being able to notice what could be improved on my growbox, Learning out of mistakes.
It would be nice to have the possible smallest grow box a plant would feel comfortable in, at least for now. Due to some stuff i cant afford a big grow place at the moment. Tho i found a perfect space for future grows, which i will upgrade time by time.
I actually didnt decide yet what lights to chose. Since i will only grow one plant i could use small HPS lights, adjusted so the whole plant will get enough light and the bottom wont get no light.
Or probably CFL's?
What would you suggest?

Youre on the right track, my journal in my sig uses cfl's and grow box, check it out if youd like. Also, there a ton of awesome journals in the completed section from start to finish you can check out, also you should read the all powerful how to grow marijuana guide! How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

Just start reading, you'll learn a ton from that link!

That sig is awesome. Giving me again, a good imagination of how i could build my grow box. Now im just wondering what would i do to get my plant as small as possible ( in height at least ). And how tall should my growbox be, so that i could use it until harvest.

I kinda got no imagination of how tall some indicas actual get. Especially if taken care to not getting it too big. Would you agree to a growbox of 3-4 feet? Or could i even lower it? Or is it too small allready?

So youd suggest me going with CFLs or small HPS?

That sig is awesome. Giving me again, a good imagination of how i could build my grow box. Now im just wondering what would i do to get my plant as small as possible ( in height at least ). And how tall should my growbox be, so that i could use it until harvest.

I kinda got no imagination of how tall some indicas actual get. Especially if taken care to not getting it too big. Would you agree to a growbox of 3-4 feet? Or could i even lower it? Or is it too small allready?

So youd suggest me going with CFLs or small HPS?

Well if you have a small grow box, I'd recommend CFL's. Heat control is an issue with HID (MH, HPS) for small grow boxes. You can do really well with them for sure.

If you can control the heat, HID is the way to go.

Keeping your plant height down is no problem at all. There are plenty of people here who can show you how to do that. I'm doing it and if I can, so can you.

Well if you have a small grow box, I'd recommend CFL's. Heat control is an issue with HID (MH, HPS) for small grow boxes. You can do really well with them for sure.

Keeping your plant height down is no problem at all. There are plenty of people here who can show you how to do that. I'm doing it and if I can, so can you.

GF is absolutely right. You should check out his grow and see how he keeps his girls to be as submissive as possible!!! :)

Exactly Low Stress Training, commonly seen around here as LST, is manipulating the plant in way to reduce height typically. There are many techniques to keeping your plant nice and short while maintaining great yeilds. Just read around these forums a bit more, there are excellent threads here with great detailed information on everything.

You're doing your homework though!! A lot of people neglect the HW part ;) It's fun Hw though, extremely enjoyable to learn

:goodluck: :high-five:

Ok so as you suggested i guess ill start with CFLs.
Is it possible to exchange em 1by1 with HPs later? without doing damage to the plant? Just so i could get the max light out of my current ventilation or cooling. Anyway later on ill just check on how to maintain a better cooling. I guess there are some ways :p.

You're doing your homework though!! A lot of people neglect the HW part It's fun Hw though, extremely enjoyable to learn
I try my best :). And yes youre right its fun HW. I just cant wait to combine this with my experience once i grown some babys :D

Ok so as you suggested i guess ill start with CFLs.
Is it possible to exchange em 1by1 with HPs later? without doing damage to the plant? Just so i could get the max light out of my current ventilation or cooling. Anyway later on ill just check on how to maintain a better cooling. I guess there are some ways :p.

I try my best :). And yes youre right its fun HW. I just cant wait to combine this with my experience once i grown some babys :D

Yes if you decide in the middle of your grow or in flower to change from CFL's to HPS you'll be fine.

Where you want to be concerned about light intensity is going to be during the seedling stage or new clone stage. Intense light can damage or kill new plants.

Other than that, you can get the light as close as the plants will tolerate.

Yes if you decide in the middle of your grow or in flower to change from CFL's to HPS you'll be fine.

Where you want to be concerned about light intensity is going to be during the seedling stage or new clone stage. Intense light can damage or kill new plants.

Other than that, you can get the light as close as the plants will tolerate.

Excellent answer brother. Wanted to give you reps for it but the system is forcing me to spread it around first :( :Namaste:

Ok guys, for now, at my current point i decided to grow a Northern Light girl using the Low Stress Training method. I found a spot i could maybe start growing in in closer future than i thought. I actually got a box being 13inch deep, 24inch high and 14.2 inch wide ( if i divide the growbox into 2 ) for veg and flower stage. Or i could just get 2 light cycles, one with a timer the other like that since im only having one plant. So i had more space in width.

DO you think those measures will be outgrown too fast? I got no experience at all so i dont really know how large a good tied LS trained plant will be. Not to forget that the 24 inch is just the space itsself. Lets not forget about the light and the pot.
Any suggestions? A smaller plant? A way to adjust lights vertikal? Or will i just do fine since CFLS wont heat too much if good cooled?

Oh and btw. Yesterday i found a good post which would help me finding my lamps. Including calculation forms on what lm per flower or sq.
I just lost the track of this post and spent about the last hours finding it back. But i cant. I even started to wonder if it was on a german forum i sometimes pass by cause of some translation problems on some words.
So id appreciate any suggestions. Or maybe even someone knows what post im talking about lol. Tho i wont give up on finding it.

Excellent answer brother. Wanted to give you reps for it but the system is forcing me to spread it around first :( :Namaste:

It's the thought that counts! Thanks!!

Your consideration with not much vertical space is a short veg time, I would definitely consider clones, and LST.

There are people who grow in PC grow boxes that get wonderful results every 50 to 60 days. They grow an ounce or more of great meds for such a small grow space.

You'll do fine with whatever you go. LST the fuck out of them, keep your veg time short, 3 to 4 weeks max and go for it.

Start a journal and keep us posted.

hello, i'm new too, i'm about to plant 3 auto flowering seeds (white haze automatic, auto red poison and Auto Jack).

I'm thinking in using a whole room of a house, or shall i make a grow box? (if yes, what dimensions?)
and what do you guys think about using LED growing lights?

thank you for your response in advance.
really appreciate that you guys took the time for reading.

Back
Top Bottom