Grow Journal: GJCN420M-2023:04 - Sour Sunset Lite Boy - For Breeding

Ravenplume

Alright, this is my last journal here on this site for now; and this one is nothing major. Nah, this is just Rigel, who was a Sour Sunset Opportunity Seed, which ended up being a boy. But as I mentioned in an earlier discussion about him, his story does not end here just yet. First, to recap, here is how he looked when I first posted about him...

Sour Sunset Lite - Flowered-1.JPG

He had sprouted on 2022-11-22 and was planted on 11-24, then about 2 months later (so 5 days ago), he had flowered and was revealed to be a boy. It was suggested in the earlier thread, that he may be an autoflower. explaining the timing. So I figure I will try to keep him around at least until his pollen is ready to collect and see if I can breed him with any of my girls. Bubblegum is the first candidate for this, which would make a Wildling totally unrelated to my 2019 Wildlings and the progenitor of yet another "new" strain.

Here is how he is looking now...

Rigel-2023-00.JPG

Rigel-2023-01.JPG

He has actually gained two levels of pollen sacs since the initial report. I actually have him under 24/7 lighting to try to reveg, but I am thinking of holding off until his pollen is ready to harvest, then see if he can reveg and be turned into a house plant.

And for what it is worth, of all the journals I started here so far this year, this is likely going to be the first to get an update. Most likely going to put him in a planter with a spider plant, and then eventually a couple morning glories accompanying him as well.

And his lower pollen sacs are already dropping pollen into his cup, and likely onto the table as well. I reckon there should be no harm now in snipping the pollen sacs and collecting them into a little baggie with a desiccant pack? Was really expecting another couple weeks before they would open up.

Went ahead and transplanted him into an actual planter just now...

Rigel-2023-03.JPG

Before I did, I harvested what pollen I could off the two lower levels, letting it fall on an index card, which I then carefully slid into this baggie, along with some spent flowers, and possibly a couple that hadn't opened yet. Can't really see the stuff on the card very well, but it is there.

Rigel-2023-06.JPG

The pollen baggie is being kept in a dark drawer in my office here. Rigel still has his topknot, and with light twiddling, I did not see any pollen drop off, so I figure that one gets to stay a little longer.

Rigel-2023-04.JPG
Rigel-2023-05.JPG

For now, he and his attendant spider plant and morning glories will remain under light here, though I am considering stopping the reveg process and let him continue developing and see if I can get more pollen off him, before restarting reveg...

Rigel-2023-07.JPG

He's three months old now, and is still alive and well, and still making pollen, from what I can tell.

Sour Sunset-00.JPG

I'm also considering moving him to under the south facing window here in my upstairs office. He's just been on the photo table there since he got potted, but I'm thinking it may be fun to see if I can manage to turn him into a lovely full house plant this year, and the lighting under that window should be enough for him I think.

Sour Sunset-01.JPG

Sour Sunset-02.JPG

Really surprised he has lasted this long.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Ended up being a boy, captured some pollen, no idea if I did it right. Consider this journal closed. If I can remember where I put the pollen baggie, perhaps I will try pollinating a Wildling:00 with it later in the year, possibly with one of the 4/20 challenge subjects for this year.

Back
Top Bottom