Grow Spot 15 watt?

yea, $100 seems kinda steep, it will be nice when led's come down in price.

The technology will improve, energy costs will eventually rise to the point where energy efficiency will dictate their use. I've heard that one of the big issues with high wattage LEDs is in cooling them. The LED itself cannot dissipate the internally generating heat and will burn itself up quickly without a fairly large heatsink on the back of it. Larger arrays will probably require a fluid intercooler that flows to an actively cooled radiator.

LED Grow Light 15 watt: Express Light Bulbs

Junk. $100 wasted. LEDs are the future, but unless you want to waste alot of money and end up with leggy, underdeveloped plants, wait until they sort it out better.

I do agree they are too much for what you get out of them but I do not want to write off all uses of LEDs in growing. This current journal is using a UFO LED array inside a Phototron. In this case, it fits the tron beautifully. Let's watch this grow and see what happens. It isn't the only light but is working well with his floros.

Hey guys, I have used that shit before, and it is crap. For $100 you can bust a really nice 400W HPS off of craigslist or something so honestly....don't. Im growing a soil plant on the side with fluoros and that thing is popping. Only 86 W of fluoro power aprox 40W of HID power. Really nice.

I've used these 50 watt LED panels for about a year now. They're only a bit spendier, and they consume 50 watts instead of 15.
I was trying to use them in hydro, and they were working great. My grow crashed (root rot), but the plants got thru vegging and into flowering just fine before they crashed.
Currently, the panels are providing excellent light in a veg cabinet I have going for my outdoor grow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to defend all the LED pessimism that's floating around (yea... I'm talkin to you SouthernWeed... ya LED hater! What... you got somethin to say about it?!?! Bring it on little girly boy... I've got a Catnip plant grown under LED so big that I might just sic it on you! Bring that friend/LEDhater PitViper with you... My catnip plant will take you both on!) , but I've seen some good results.

Cheers, and good luck however you decide to go!

I doubt tead is saying that 50 watt LEDs will best 1000 watt HPS for growing. Probably that the LEDs do have their place and can be used to grow more than some are willing to admit at this time. The LED cost is still too high for people to just pick them up to experiment with. If already invested into the HID lighting and cooling, there is little reason to investigate LEDs.

LED future does look bright (yeah I meant that pun; puns rule!) as they will probably become the most efficient electrical to photonic converters. Energy costs are only going to go up.

I doubt tead is saying that 50 watt LEDs will best 1000 watt HPS for growing.

Oh HELL NO. I would NEVER say that.
They do, however, have their place. I, for example, run an outdoor grow with an outdoor veg area under LED and CF lights. Heat would never allow me to run HID lights in my climates unless I moved the veg chamber inside.

I have so many LED's and CF's going that I never have to move the lights down.

Cheers

Oh... and The Catnippinator sends you good vibes.

Back
Top Bottom