Growing Using Window Light

Ronus

Hey all! First time grower, long time smoker. :cool:

The availability of pot in my country is very limited and I'm getting really bored of hash, so I decided to grow my own. I'm convinced I can do it without spending a fortune on supplies, but only time and TLC will tell.
I started off buying some Caramalicious seeds (10 +20 free assorted seeds), which are the same as Redolent420 bought. After planting the seeds (next time I'll germinate) in small cups and after a week, the first ones popped up, and in all 7 of the 10 sprouted. Which i guess is OK. Then after 3 weeks I replanted them in 3 gallon pots with a 50/50 mix of top soil and humus. Some of the bottom leaves started turing brown, so I tested the PH of both the topsoil mixture and the water which both turned out to be about 6. After spreading a little lime, the PH rose to a nice 7 and the leaves are nice and green. :blushsmile:

Well, here they are about 5 - 6 weeks old. They're not as bushy as Redolent420's, but after all, my light source is 93 million miles away. Right now we get about 17 hours of daylight here in northern europe and of those, my plants get 6 hours of direct sunlight. So what do you think? Any advice is much appriciated.

I'm just not sure how often or how much water/fertilizer I should be giving them as they grow. Are there any guidelines I should be following?

IMG_037911.jpg
IMG_038011.jpg

Hi Ronus,welcome to 420,
as far as watering most of the posts i have read suggest when the pots get light you should water-ie after you water pick them up and wait till they become lighter after a day or so.

your plants look very healthy,did you get feminised seeds,if you didn't hope they are all female.:goodluck:

HH:roorrip::roorrip:

Hey :welcome: to the forums!

Your plats look wonderful, they must really like the view! I'm sure you should e able to Grow them there no problem. It will take longer than in a closet but in the end they will produce something. As for watering hypo hippy had it right. When the pot feels the light give them water. In regards to feeding Just get some nutes and follow the instruction. I find during Veg almost any well rounded plant food will work. it gets complicated during flower though.

Well any ways Good luck and I will be following this grow!

Thanks guys. It's good to be part of the community.

OK, sounds like a good rule of thumb. I certainly have noticed that they're getting really thirsty. So I probably don't have to worry about over watering them.

ItsChrome- I'm using ordinary flower fertilizer at the moment, but I think I should get something with a little more phosphorous so they grow like a MF in the veg stage. As a first timer, it's gonna be a little trial and error until I get it right.

Hypo hippy - No they're not feminized. I thought the price was a little high, but I'm crossing my fingers and referring to them as girls. Hopefully that'll do the trick. :thumb:

I'll be posting updates as the plants progress.

Thanks guys. It's good to be part of the community.

OK, sounds like a good rule of thumb. I certainly have noticed that they're getting really thirsty. So I probably don't have to worry about over watering them.

ItsChrome- I'm using ordinary flower fertilizer at the moment, but I think I should get something with a little more phosphorous so they grow like a MF in the veg stage. As a first timer, it's gonna be a little trial and error until I get it right.

Hypo hippy - No they're not feminized. I thought the price was a little high, but I'm crossing my fingers and referring to them as girls. Hopefully that'll do the trick. :thumb:

I'll be posting updates as the plants progress.

Yeah I did the same, I just used normal house plant food. A 20-8-6 during veg. You dont need much phosphorous during Veg. Its flowering you really want to pump your phosphorous. Whats the ratio of the food your using at the moment?

This is what I am using now.
TechnafloraRFSKit.jpg

Its cheap and you'll get enough to get you through about one grow cycle. It covers all the bases

Hey there :thumb: Looking good!! I thought I would show you how they might look a little down the line. I am in the UK and I planted my babies about 10 weeks ago and this is all from the wondow sill!! Good luck!

S8300370.JPG

S8300371.JPG

Hey there :thumb: Looking good!! I thought I would show you how they might look a little down the line. I am in the UK and I planted my babies about 10 weeks ago and this is all from the wondow sill!! Good luck!

S8300370.JPG

S8300371.JPG

Now aren't those some lovely ladies!

ItsChrome - Now that's a sweet kit. We have nothing like that in Denmark and unfortunately not as easily categorized. Here's a pic of the back of the bottle. It's in danish, but I think you'll get the gist of it.

Thanks James, and they are indeed lovely. If I get 5 females I'll be very very lucky. I keep wondering what kind of yield we'll be getting by growing this way.

IMG1.jpg

Ok so its a 4-1-6, thats not bad. that should do you just fine, though looking for some thing with a higher N for Veg might not hurt. But they look great so I'd just keep doing what your doing for now.

No worries. Not sure to be honest. I am struggling with height already as they are just about to hit the top of the window. Bearing in mind they will be in the veg stage for many months due to the natural light, I may start topping them and try to get them to bush out.

My friend did this last year and then put them outside and he was able to get a years worth of smoking out of 3 plants. They did go big though, maybe 7 feet. Don't think we can do that on the window sill lol.

:yummy:

ItsChrome - Great! Thanks for the advice. I'm learning something new everyday. What a great hobby :grinjoint: I know it's a little early, but what should look for in the flowering stage?

James - Wow a years worth. That sounds promising. Your plants look a lot like mine. Which strand are they? Do you know? I bought Caramelicious namely because of the height (and I'd rather be high than stoned :) ) But what I can see from your plants, I'll be topping mine too.
Here's a description of my plants:

Quantity : 10 + 20 FREE
Type : Indica/sativa mix
Climate : Indoor
Yield : up to 19 ounces / 450 grams m2
Height : up to 26 inches / 65 cm
Flowering period : 8 to 9 weeks
Harvest : end of September
Stoned or High : Very strong high
THC level : strong 15% - 20%
Grow difficulty: Easy for Beginners

Hey there! I have no idea how much a years worth was but I would imagine it was a good number of ounces.....

Quantity : 5 of each
Type : sativa mix
Climate : outdoor - i think
Yield : no idea
Height : tall
Flowering period : 8 to 9 weeks
Harvest : end of September
Stoned or High : Very strong high
THC level : strong 15% - 20%
Grow difficulty: medium

I bought 5 white widow and 5 northern lights feminized. Unfortunately when I tend to them I am usually stoned :smokin: So during the process of repotting them 3 times I have no idea what any of them are now!! :yummy:

I have 5 others growing under cfl's, check out my grow journal

Week 8

Here's a few pics of my beauties. Not really much to report. The only thing I've done is give them water. They seem to be thriving and the leaves are a beautiful green with no yellowing or spots. Any guesses on when they'll be showing signs of sex, growing this way?

IMG_03835.JPG
IMG_03822.JPG

That's a good question. I'm not sure when window plants will start to show. Maybe a couple more weeks? We just passed the summer solstice so the day light hours will start to dwindle as time passes. that should trigger them to start to flower. so maybe sooner.. either way, looking fan-f'ing-tastic!

Thanks Chrome! :) Yeah, I'm starting to get a little passionate about these babies. Never had had a bigger green thumb than I do now (I had a cactus die on me once). Granted, the incentive on taking care of them is much larger. :grinjoint:

Hmmm... It might take more than a couple of weeks. We only get about 2 - 3 hours of total darkness at the moment, so maybe a month from now:confused:. At any rate, you'll be the first to know.

looking good there!! I have had to take mine off the window sill - paranoia and height were giving me issues. Tried to steathly put them in the garden now, I'll see what happens!! :cool:

you gotta keep the house lights off, so there's no light pollution during the dark hours too. if you forget and turn on the lights one night to take pee, the plant could go herm.

2-3 hours of dark? what latitude?

I feel ya James. I have patio furniture and outdoor plants obscuring the view, but I doubt anyone can see what they are from a distance or care for that matter. Viva la ganja!

Oh no herm?! If that does happen, are they worthless then? My living room is on the other side of the house, so no worries there. Is there a way to prevent a hermaphrodite from producing seeds by plucking the sacks or am I s--t out of luck?
Denmark lays around the 56 - 57 degree latitude

Cheers Ronus, thats what I have been thinking. From a distance I think you have to be pretty good to see what they were, fingers crossed!!

Keep on growing!!

:cool:

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Sending you lots of positive energy through the Universe.

Back
Top Bottom