Harshness

Woodstock senior

Fellow 420ers, I am a newby this year and after pretty much all is cut and dried with this years grow,it seems that my bud is somewhat harsh. All seemed right all through til I cut em down but cant figure why. I grew in fox farm soil and finished with same brand nutes.
I still have most aging in jars for a couple more weeks but what I tried seemed harsh.
Anyone have an answer,thanks mucho!

Sounds like they were hung to dry too much before trimming. The cure is in the drying part so I trim fresh off the plant in stages, put the buds in doubled up paper bags and dry down in my cool basement for up to 5 weeks sometimes before putting the still moist buds into jars for burping another month.

Then I got super smooth-smoking buds with no hint of green left.

Once dry the curing has stopped and can't be restarted.

:peace:

Thats dedication I just don’t have the patience for that method.
It sounds like a great method though.

Sounds like they were hung to dry too much before trimming. The cure is in the drying part so I trim fresh off the plant in stages, put the buds in doubled up paper bags and dry down in my cool basement for up to 5 weeks sometimes before putting the still moist buds into jars for burping another month.

Then I got super smooth-smoking buds with no hint of green left.

Once dry the curing has stopped and can't be restarted.

:peace:
It does sound like that is what happened. The drying stage was to long or was deliberately or accidentally sped up so it took place faster than it should have.

@Woodstock senior, you said that you "still have most aging in jars for a couple more weeks but what I tried seemed harsh." When it happened to me last year I did not find any way of restoring the moisture level back to where I felt it should be. So, I just put the stuff in jars and went on as if they had dried properly.

It did help get rid of some of the harshness but not enough to be entirely happy about the situation I had created. But keep in mind that I was happy enough to have something to learn about drying. One thing I found out was that there must have been enough moisture left those stems and buds that it slowly, slowly cured a teeny, tiny bit, enough that I noticed the improvement. But, it was no where near what it would be if I had paid attention when I first started the dry step. Still harsh but not as bad.

I use a similar method as OldMedUser but with one paper bag. If it is large harvest then it is a grocery bag from the local supermarket. Clean bags from burger joints work well for clones and smaller plants. It would take 2 or 3 weeks depending on the local humidity. These days I am still using one paper bag but I am putting them in our second refridgerator and going with a low, slow and long drying stage.

Several other members have mentioned the fridge dry method. I did not like it the first plant or two I tried it on. Went back to the paper bag and letting it dry on as out of the way shelf. Then one day I thought about trying it again and have not looked back (yet;)).

I'm not as experienced as some of the folks here and my environment is definitely different than others.
For mine, I like to chop and hang the whole plant upside down until the outside of the bud starts to feel a little crunchy. The first few days the buds will feel a little soft and spongy, but once the leaves feel dry and the outside of the bud feels crunchy I'll sample a little and if it's dry enough for a joint to barely stay lit then I'll buck the buds (remove from stems) and jar them up for a while until the moisture inside the buds dries slowly to match. Just gotta be really careful to watch for mold, change the air out often, etc.

Back
Top Bottom