Harvesting early: thoughts

Mass Medicinals

Hey all,

We have 3 Super Silver Haze (outdoors) likely going to cut them down this week. All look to be a bit premature, but the risk of further rot and now frost can't be ignored...

They have started to frost up all over, but most of the plants still have white pistils and doesn't look like any amber trichomes.

Our thoughts were to just ice water hash the entire crop.

Would anyone else save the nice looking colas, given they are so under-ripe?

You could try a small bud w/o a cure, just let it dry for a couple days. Was trying to cover mine couple a weeks back and broke off a branch that was hanging by a thread so little hope of fixing it so just cut it off (and she still needs another week or two now even until done, so easily 3-4 weeks early), and we were surprised at how good it was for being so immature with a couple days drying and no cure.

Hi @Dwight Monk!

So one issue for us. We don't smoke the flower, just convert it to edibles. Usually in the form of coco oil. So it's just one extra step, before seeing the quality.

We had to cut down 2 of the main stems because they snapped at the base and those 2 clearly were dead. All the sugar leaf and early buds are in the freezer, so we could make a coco batch.

We also just received some encouragement to let the plants keep going. If it remains fairly dry this week we are going to hold off from harvesting. And just work on supporting up the plants and removing rot.

Ah, well I just gathered you did if you was talking about making it into Hash ;) , but same idea it may not be as strong if taken early but it will still have thc to it if you are over halfway thru flowering so you would have to find out how much extra you would have to add to your edibles to get what you wanting.

Lol, yeah dosing edibles can be a very fun game of trial and error for sure.

I just looked at the trimmings under a loupe. There are amber trichomes!!!

Downside these cuttings came from stems that were dying this week. So the buds may have developed somewhat faster than the healthy parts of the plant. Will inspect all plants and bud sites with the loupe tomorrow.

People are saying Sativa's should be harvested when all trichomes are cloudy rather than majority are amber. So we may actually be in that window.

Back
Top Bottom