Hash Making

Re: Roseman's Hash Making

I asked a friend and he said do not use a blender. he told me to use whole leaves, not crumbled, in a very large bowl, or pan, or bucket, and put the whole leaves in it with lots of ice and get a mixer, like you mix cakes with, and stir it up for ten minutes and then pour that into the permanent coffee filter and ti will drain out easier, HE SAID.

I read tons of stuff on how to do it with a blender. After I trashed my first attempt, I read to use the blender on its LOWEST SPEED for 1 or 2 minutes. Then I strain it thru the perm. filter and squeeze ou the excess into a jug. Then it settles then I pour off excess then thru coffee filter. Now that I'm on tiny batch #4, I am getting the hang of it. Nice light color, hashy smell and a wow smoke. The first batch I trashed was shake with fan leaves so not a loss. The remaining 3 are 1 qt jars of popcorn & fluff from last 2 grows. Cant believe the amount of kief I'm getting. I guess practice, practice, practine.

I read tons of stuff on how to do it with a blender. After I trashed my first attempt, I read to use the blender on its LOWEST SPEED for 1 or 2 minutes. Then I strain it thru the perm. filter and squeeze ou the excess into a jug. Then it settles then I pour off excess then thru coffee filter. Now that I'm on tiny batch #4, I am getting the hang of it. Nice light color, hashy smell and a wow smoke. The first batch I trashed was shake with fan leaves so not a loss. The remaining 3 are 1 qt jars of popcorn & fluff from last 2 grows. Cant believe the amount of kief I'm getting. I guess practice, practice, practine.

I hope you take some pics.!!1

Don't worry man, I messed up my first two attempts. Just takes some getting used to. You'll get it.

:Rasta:

I hope you take some pics.!!1

I just put a pix as my avatar...2 done and 2 more batches 2 go. One drying and the last one in the fridge. I do have more skuff for later tho....The last 2 batches look to be much larger than the 2nd one.....baby steps first...lol

Roseman, I just read the entire thread and I have already asked the wife if she has any old pantyhose! Terrific tutorial as I am on a very low budget and cannot afford to purchase anything. I've got the trimmings in the freezer (not very much maybe enough to make a gram or two).

You were reminiscing about the past, here is a little something from mine:

1972 @ 15 yrs old and as square as can be. The family packed up and moved to Israel. Well here I am, a very lost and confused teen in a completely new environment. Within about a week I had made the acquaintance of a few local kids (a few yrs older than me). This would be the beginning of 38 yrs of smoking! Of course there was no pot being smoked, only hash. Either smuggled in over the border from Lebanon or some North African stuff smuggled into the country by Bedouins from Egypt over the Sinai Peninsula. Great hashish at about 10 to 20 dollars (equivalent) for 4-6 grams on the street.

In the five yrs I spent there before returning to the US, I encountered grass only near the end of my stay by way of the many young European travelers that flocked to the warmer climate of Israel for fun and adventure. The atmosphere was reminiscent of the late 60's in the US.

Hash was smoked almost exclusively with tobacco with the only variation being the 'pin and glass or jar' method mentioned by some here. The following methods were used and would seem very odd and not necessary to us now with all the gizmos available!

Here's one and I became an expert at this. I could do it while walking through downtown Jerusalem!
Empty the cig of it's tobacco, cleaning out the rough stuff (twigs etc.). Takethe 'finger' of hash and heat the corner of it with a flame. Smear the now very warm tip of hash in your palm leaving a line of hash across the palm. I always had a stain on my palm from this. Now you've got very tiny pieces of hash in your palm that are mixed with the tobacco and then worked into the empty cig either by sucking it thru the filter (works best with very dry tobacco) or by shoveling it into the cig from the palm. Then the filter of the cig was pulled out and a rolled up piece of cig package cardboard was rolled up and inserted in it's place. For some reason we never had 'rolling papers' available (later through the Europeans we were able to obtain papers).

Here's an odd one, but was better when there were a few of us partaking;

Again if we only knew about rolling papers!.... We'd take the papers from a four cigs, lick both edges of one paper them lay a paper on either side (overlapping just a bit) Now you sit on these three papers and press them dry. They will stick together. Place the tobacco and hash mix into this 'sheet' and roll it (gently) until you have a cone shape, licking one end and sealing it. Close off the fat side and now make your filter (like above) insert it just a little into the small end of the cone. Now take your fourth cig paper and wrap the filter onto the cone. Wallah! A Missile! That's what it was called. We've made huge 'missiles' with several papers that were great lung cleaners.

Lung cleaners that reminds me! One more. This was the ultimate lung killer!

One beer bottle. Hold it by the lip sideways. with a lighter, heat just one spot about three or four inches above where your holding it. Then lightly tap the fat end of the bottle on any hard surface. The bottle should break right at the spot that was heated and pretty much straight across. Take enough cardboard off the cig package to roll up and insert into the lip of the bottle as a filter. Place some plain tobacco down into your bottleneck (next to the filter) then add the hash/tobacco mix (as much as you want). Of course you got to hold it upright when you smoke it. Someone else lights it for you and there you go! Instant lung clearing! Two hits from that was enough. When your eyes stopped watering and your lungs somewhat recovered you were wasted.

Sorry for being long winded here, but hashish brings back many wonderful memories for me!

Thanks Roseman for bringing it out!

No plant matter goes in the paper coffee filter.

After you blend it up good, you pour SOME, just a little, like two heaping tablespoons , into the permanent wire mesh coffee filter, and let it drain out. Then pour ice water through it again, maybe twice again, and it the ater drain out, and put that water in a big jar.
Then put two more heaping tablespoons of the mix in the wire mesh coffee filter and do ti again, and again. The murky water that comes out goes into a jar, into the refrigerator and later that water gets poured into the paper coffee filter.

:thanks:Thanks again. Just one or 2 more q's from me, please? After I rolled it, it looks pretty firm and holds together nicely, but its kinda soft, like hard clay. I understand I need to press it but, why did I heat the keif? Was that to bond it or cure it or ? and does the heat degrade the trichs.... sometimes I just ask to many questions. thx again..HGH

Roseman, I just read the entire thread and I have already asked the wife if she has any old pantyhose! Terrific tutorial as I am on a very low budget and cannot afford to purchase anything. I've got the trimmings in the freezer (not very much maybe enough to make a gram or two).

You were reminiscing about the past, here is a little something from mine:

1972 @ 15 yrs old and as square as can be. The family packed up and moved to Israel. Well here I am, a very lost and confused teen in a completely new environment. Within about a week I had made the acquaintance of a few local kids (a few yrs older than me). This would be the beginning of 38 yrs of smoking! Of course there was no pot being smoked, only hash. Either smuggled in over the border from Lebanon or some North African stuff smuggled into the country by Bedouins from Egypt over the Sinai Peninsula. Great hashish at about 10 to 20 dollars (equivalent) for 4-6 grams on the street.

In the five yrs I spent there before returning to the US, I encountered grass only near the end of my stay by way of the many young European travelers that flocked to the warmer climate of Israel for fun and adventure. The atmosphere was reminiscent of the late 60's in the US.

Hash was smoked almost exclusively with tobacco with the only variation being the 'pin and glass or jar' method mentioned by some here. The following methods were used and would seem very odd and not necessary to us now with all the gizmos available!

Here's one and I became an expert at this. I could do it while walking through downtown Jerusalem!
Empty the cig of it's tobacco, cleaning out the rough stuff (twigs etc.). Takethe 'finger' of hash and heat the corner of it with a flame. Smear the now very warm tip of hash in your palm leaving a line of hash across the palm. I always had a stain on my palm from this. Now you've got very tiny pieces of hash in your palm that are mixed with the tobacco and then worked into the empty cig either by sucking it thru the filter (works best with very dry tobacco) or by shoveling it into the cig from the palm. Then the filter of the cig was pulled out and a rolled up piece of cig package cardboard was rolled up and inserted in it's place. For some reason we never had 'rolling papers' available (later through the Europeans we were able to obtain papers).

Here's an odd one, but was better when there were a few of us partaking;

Again if we only knew about rolling papers!.... We'd take the papers from a four cigs, lick both edges of one paper them lay a paper on either side (overlapping just a bit) Now you sit on these three papers and press them dry. They will stick together. Place the tobacco and hash mix into this 'sheet' and roll it (gently) until you have a cone shape, licking one end and sealing it. Close off the fat side and now make your filter (like above) insert it just a little into the small end of the cone. Now take your fourth cig paper and wrap the filter onto the cone. Wallah! A Missile! That's what it was called. We've made huge 'missiles' with several papers that were great lung cleaners.

Lung cleaners that reminds me! One more. This was the ultimate lung killer!

One beer bottle. Hold it by the lip sideways. with a lighter, heat just one spot about three or four inches above where your holding it. Then lightly tap the fat end of the bottle on any hard surface. The bottle should break right at the spot that was heated and pretty much straight across. Take enough cardboard off the cig package to roll up and insert into the lip of the bottle as a filter. Place some plain tobacco down into your bottleneck (next to the filter) then add the hash/tobacco mix (as much as you want). Of course you got to hold it upright when you smoke it. Someone else lights it for you and there you go! Instant lung clearing! Two hits from that was enough. When your eyes stopped watering and your lungs somewhat recovered you were wasted.

Sorry for being long winded here, but hashish brings back many wonderful memories for me!

Thanks Roseman for bringing it out!

Cool story and some interesting toking methods woodsman! Hard to believe that there were no rolling paper available. Thanks for sharing that. :cool:

I just put a pix as my avatar...2 done and 2 more batches 2 go. One drying and the last one in the fridge. I do have more skuff for later tho....The last 2 batches look to be much larger than the 2nd one.....baby steps first...lol

HGH,

I spoke to my friend again, and he said to ask you

After you stir them up rapidly in icey water, do you let it sit, and allow the green to float to the top and scoop it off FIRST , before pouring it into the metal coffee filter. And he said you can first pour it through a tea strainer, and then through the coffee filter.

Roseman: I have to agree with your friend.. I was thinking the leaf extraction method over, and I'd have to say there are going to be far, far less trichromes inside the leaves VS the sticky icky on the outside of the leaves (esp for the trimming leafs..)..

Not buds however, I think the blender method or the physical threshing with a meshed screen is going to generate the best results, as those tris are locked up inside of them.

I'm going to do some experimenting in a few days, as soon as I can find that box that got packed away. :)

HGH,

I spoke to my friend again, and he said to ask you

After you stir them up rapidly in icey water, do you let it sit, and allow the green to float to the top and scoop it off FIRST , before pouring it into the metal coffee filter. And he said you can first pour it through a tea strainer, and then through the coffee filter.

Hi Rosey! - Thanks for all the info & help. Yes, I remove the floating stuff first. Here's what I have been doing after reading more posts on here:

I use a blender and fill it 1/3 ice water, 1/3 skuff & 1/3 ice cubes, leaving a couple inches of space at the top. After I blend it on the lowest speed possible for 1 or 1 1/2 minutes, until I get a green frothy mix. I immediately pour it thru the permanent metal filter (I could use a tea strainer, I guess) and I press out every last drop from the wet skuff with my fingers. Then then I put the strained mixture right in the fridge after adding a few more ice cubes. The once processed skuff, I set aside and repeat the process again before I discard it. I let the mixture set in the fridge until the trichs settle on the bottom (30min+), then I pour off as much water as I can and put it back in the fridge another 20-30 minutes and do it again. Then I take a turkey baster and get out as much water as I can, then I spoon as many trichs as I can onto a paper coffee filter. Since I only have 2-3 tsp of water in the paper filter, it will go thru and then I rake off the trichs and let them dry.
As I mentioned, even after straining everything from the settled mix from the fridge, the filter clogs immediately and water will not pass thru it. I have used 2 diff brands of paper filters and both clog immediately...So, not I just drain/syphon,spoon as much water off as I can. That's the only way I can get anu of it thru the paper coffee filter. It is a puzzle to me but I guess the trichs clog the paper filter quickly? Otherwise I havent a clue why it clogs every time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
HGH

Hi Rosey! - thanks for all the info & help. Here's what I have been doing:

I use a blender and fill it 1/3 ice water, 1/3 skuff & 1/3 ice cubes, leaving a couple inches of space at the top. After I blend it on the lowest speed possible for 1 or 1 1/2 minutes, until I get a green frothhy mix. I immediately pour it thru the permanent metal filter and I press out every last drop from the wet skuff with my fingers. Then then I put the strained mixture right in the fridge after adding a few more ice cubes. The once processed skuff, I set aside and repeat the process it again before I discard it. I let the mixture set in the fridge until the trichs settle on the bottom (30min+), then I pour off as much water as I can and put it back in the fridge another 20-30 minutes and do it again. Then I take a turkey baster and get out as much water as I can, then I spoon as many trichs as I can onto a paper coffee filter. Since I only have 2-3 tsp of water in the paper filter, it will go thru and then I rake off the trichs and let them dry.[/I
As I mentioned, even after straining everything from the settled mix from the fridge, the filter clogs immediately and water will not pass thru it. I have used 2 diff brands of paper filters and both clog immediately...So, not I just drain/syphon,spoon as much water off as I can. That's the only way I can get anu of it thru the paper coffee filter. It is a puxxle to me but i guess the trichs clog the paper filter quickly? Otherwise I havent a clue why it clogs every time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
HGH

Every year, I make home made wine, and I strain it through a paper coffee filter. It is a very slow go. I have to put the paper filter in a plastic funnel,
and put the funnel in a jug, pour in the wine and walk away and come back later, and let it just drip into the jug.

lol... I left a paper filter full of the mix I strained thru the metal coffee filter first, for over an hr, and it didnt drain at all. I'm at a loss, but I'll keep trying things until I get it right..I'll try the filter in the funnel. Maybe that'll do it????

thx
HGH

I made The Answer's DIY Kief Box (awesome!) Added a frame to the bottom of the sreen to keep it in place over the shadow box. Put some frozen, crumbled trim leaves dried from a previous grow on the screen.

2-9-10_box.JPG

Just rubbed them around for about 7-8 minutes.

2-9-10_tray.JPG

Then I scraped up a beautiful pile of gold powder.

2-9-10_kief.JPG

Then I poured t into my $6 press

2-9-10_load.JPG

Ta da!

2-9-10_PUCK2.JPG

Each puck weighs 0.4 to 0.8 grams & have made 9 so far. The trim just keeps on giving! Just harvested 4 more plants, nothing is dry yet though.

lol... I left a paper filter full of the mix I strained thru the metal coffee filter first, for over an hr, and it didnt drain at all. I'm at a loss, but I'll keep trying things until I get it right..I'll try the filter in the funnel. Maybe that'll do it????

thx
HGH

I am baked right now... but am not following you.

Where are you running into problems? I'll go back and reread see if I can help at all.

I made The Answer's DIY Kief Box (awesome!) Added a frame to the bottom of the sreen to keep it in place over the shadow box. Put some frozen, crumbled trim leaves dried from a previos grow on the screen.

2-9-10_box.JPG

Just rubbed them around for about 7-8 minutes.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/2-9-10_tray.JPG/IMG]

Then I scraped up a beautiful pile of gold powder.

[img]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/2-9-10_kief.JPG

Got a $6 press off e-bay. Each puck weighs 0.4 to 0.8 grams & have made 8 so far. The trim just keeps on giving

Awesome! Looks great. What micron size is the mesh, do you know? Just curious, no worries.

Looks great though! enjoy :yummy:

Looks like a 110 micron from Michaels , there made for silkscreening . They have them for about 24 bucks !!They even have a nice metel frame ! :peace:

I am baked right now... but am not following you.

Where are you running into problems? I'll go back and reread see if I can help at all.

Awesome! Looks great. What micron size is the mesh, do you know? Just curious, no worries.

Looks great though! enjoy :yummy:

Yep, it's a 110 micron - from Amazon though (Michaels was out) $18.66

I am often asked, why use those bags for ice/water extraction?

Bags are for everything. Trim, fan leaves, anything you want. Fan leaves have less of what you are after, but they still work. Trim leaves can really get covered in trichomes, so you net more. But you might be surprised with what you can harvest from the big ole fan leaves.

Generally, this method is used instead of a keif box. Keif box is a way to harvesting trichomes based on gravity and mesh size. Ice extraction is simply another, more effecient way of doing that but is based on the idea trichomes sink in water, where the rest of the plant floats. This also results in a more pure concentration when done correctly.

Keif box takes frozen skuff (skuff is both trim and fan leaves. Basically anything except buds). You shake the frozen skuff on a fine mesh screen. The trichomes are tiny, so they will break off due to being frozen and brittle. They will drop through the mesh and start forming a soft sand like stuff below the screen. There will still be trichomes left on the skuff, so after rubbing for keif you can roll it up for low grade joints, or turn it into cannabis butter.

You then collect the "sand like powder" called trichomes. Either press this and make hash, or keep it in powder form for keif. Try both and see what you like.

Water extraction is the same idea, but based on the fact trichomes are heavier then water. The rest of the plant is not. So, frozen trim goes in the mesh bags. You stir and agitate the water/skuff mix to break the frozen trichomes off and have them start sinking through different screens until it no longer fits through the screens little openings. Generally you will have multiple bags, with different size mesh. Mesh refers to the size of the little holes in the screen. The first bag will keep most plant matter inside of it, but the screen mesh being larges enough for any trichomes to drop through. Depending on how many bags, the quality and purity increases the more bags you have. The last bag or two, being on the bottom, nets you the most pure trichome harvest. You can harvest full melt hash here. It'll look like hash, but once it starts to burn, it melts into a more hash oil type substance. Super potent. But after you are done with water extraction, there isn't much left but plant matter. You will have harvested all the trichomes. (this is why I wouldn't suggest keif box then water extraction. You are harvesting the same thing, but making it twice the work. I use my keif box for extras. Stuff that didn't go in the wash, oil, or butter. Or when I am rolling a doob. I use it to collect any falling trichs. )

The bags have become super popular and becoming more and more affordable. Be careful buying cheap ones off ebay. The quality is not up to par, they use crap material, with horrible stitching. They just don't last. Bubblebags and Sprung bags are the two best from what I have seen, with many more completely capable brands available. These two are simply the ones I have first hand experience with.

That said, there is another water extraction method that does not require bags. It is not as effecient, but can still work wonders and produce some killer hash. I personally tried it and quickly moved onto the bags method I described earlier. But we all gotta start somewhere! It'll get ya wanting more!

If your going to try it this way first, here is how I did it:

The blender method uses the principle that the resin glands are heavier than water, while other plant material is not.
The blender method uses water, ice and agitation to dislodge the trichomes. Ice-water makes the trichomes brittle, causing the resin glands to solidify and become easy to snap off. The glands are heavier than water so they sink to the bottom when separated, while the plant material floats.

To make hash this way you'll need a blender, ice cubes, a reusable metal coffee filter or silk screening, a large glass jar and paper coffee filters.

Fill the blender about half-way with skuff, then cover with cold water and add a tray of ice cubes. Blend for 45 seconds to a minute, the mixture will become green and frothy, like a smoothie. Pour this mix through the metal coffee filter into your glass jar. Be patient and let it drain through. Run more water through the filter to make sure you haven't missed any trichomes.

metal coffee filter: fantes.com

Once your jar is full, put it in the fridge to settle for a minimum of 30 minutes. You can always go longer! You should be able to see a white or blonde coloured substance settling on the bottom of your container, those are the trichomes. Carefully, so you do not disturb the trichomes, pour off or siphon off about two-thirds of the green water.

If you have more skuff to process, do it now and filter into the container you just drained. Return to the fridge, allow to settle and siphon again. When you have processed all your skuff, add a few ice cubes to the container and let settle one last time.

If you want to increase the purity of your product you can carefully put this settled mixture back into the blender for a final mix and separation. This may or may not be necessary depending on your preference.

Pour the final mix of water and trichomes through a paper coffee filter. The water will pass through the paper but the glands will not. Drain well and allow to dry. You now have dried resin glands ready to be pressed into hash. This is very, very slow, and is why I suggest carefully removing the top two thirds of the green water. Take a paper filter, put it in something that will hold it.

Let the water pass through. The "muddy" looking keif will stay behind.

Be sure to break this up into powder. When wet, it wants to stick together. It will not get a proper dry, or cure, all clumped together. You want it to look like normal dry keif. Transfer this wet keif to a new dry paper coffee filter. I usually use a couple, in layers. No filtering, just using it for transport. Once the wet keif in all on the new dry filter, put the filter on cardboard. The cardboard, along with gravity, will actually pull and draw any remaining moisture out of the keif. Normally takes 24-48 hours to dry, but of course that is relative. In a dryer, warmer climate it my dry in 12 hours. In a damp, wet area, may take a week. Just keep an eye on it. Keep it in the dark. Light can degrade the product.

After it is fully dry and ready, you can press it. Many different ways to do this. By hand, or using tools. It is endless.

The best thing I have found, is this: MetalClay Supply

A stainless steel clay extruder. Much like the piecemaker pollen press, but for a fraction of the price. The same company also makes an all aluminum clay extruder. Found these to work great, but they can break when trying to really tighten them down. They are even cheaper though, normally going somewhere around $20 I think. Google pollen press and you can spend days looking through them all!

Some of my hash from last batch:
fresh_hash.jpg

some_hash.jpg

The ball is some jelly hash I made. Its a 3:1 mix of bubble hash and BHO. :yummy:

Thanks RP - Prob I'm having is with the paper coffee filter. After I blend the scuff, even tho I filter through a metal permanent coffee filter, when I try to run it throught the paper coffee filter, after itsettles, it immediately clogs the paper filter...

Back
Top Bottom