Have questions about CBD oil suppositories, please answer it's urgent

Vishwas007

420 Member
Hi! I am new to the forum and I am from India. My father has last stage colorectal cancer and is facing stringent bowel obstruction with massive pain after passing of stools. A doctor has advised us to give him CBD oil suppositories starting with 8-10 mg dose to be pushed anally. The difficulty is we can't find suppository disposables or molds in our city or even online. So now I considering using 00 gelatin capsules as I gathered education from this very blog. So, I have the following questions:
1. Do I need to add coconut oil (I only have that for now) in the 00 gelatin capsule or adding only CBD oil with 8-10 mg is enough?

2. If I need to add coconut oil then how much should I add in the 00 capsules?

3. Should the capsules be hard or soft gelatin?

4. We tried to insert a frozen CBD coconut oil of a 4mg dose but it felt as if there is no space in his anus to move it forward. What should we do here?

Thanks.

Gentlemen, ...... thank you Bob. :hug:

@Vishwas007, so sorry to hear about your father. In cases of cancer we usually recommend a 2:1 mix with twice as much THC as CBD, and if you have that available I’d try it.

That's not at all to suggest the CBD isn’t worth it. CBD has its own amazing potential, it just works better when combined with some THC.

As to the suppositories, we use 00 capsules all the time. You can also use small syringes or disposable pipettes (I use 3ml size). The syringes can be useful for advance loading, because they usually come with caps to prevent leakage, but those pipettes work real well in a pinch.

I don’t try for more than a 2.5 ml dose when using the anal route. You’re correct to think a 4 ml dose would be unmanageable. We usually suggest you break the daily dose up into 4-5 individual doses, spaced across the day. That way the body gets a steady stream of useful cannabinoids going, and that keeps constant pressure on the tumor cells.

We have a dedicated thread for treating cancer with cannabis. You’ll find more information over there.

A Base Treatment Regimen For Cancer

Tell your dad we think he’s blessed to have children who care this much. :circle-of-love:

By the way @Vishwas007, that CBD oil you have is already infused into a carrier oil. No need to use any other. I’d really suggest you try the 00 capsules you already have with the CBD oil.

Hi! I am new to the forum and I am from India. My father has last stage colorectal cancer and is facing stringent bowel obstruction with massive pain after passing of stools. A doctor has advised us to give him CBD oil suppositories starting with 8-10 mg dose to be pushed anally. The difficulty is we can't find suppository disposables or molds in our city or even online. So now I considering using 00 gelatin capsules as I gathered education from this very blog. So, I have the following questions:
1. Do I need to add coconut oil (I only have that for now) in the 00 gelatin capsule or adding only CBD oil with 8-10 mg is enough?

2. If I need to add coconut oil then how much should I add in the 00 capsules?

3. Should the capsules be hard or soft gelatin?

4. We tried to insert a frozen CBD coconut oil of a 4mg dose but it felt as if there is no space in his anus to move it forward. What should we do here?

Thanks.

I missed part of your questions @Vishwas007.

2. 00 capsules hold just under 1 ml of oil. You’ll see they have a line at the top of the bottom piece that shows you the full point. Be sure they lock together and keep them stored in the fridge to limit leakage. Left out they will seep a bit.

3. You want capsules rated to hold oils. I buy gelatin ones myself. We have a dedicated suppository thread that will more clearly show you this information.

I think we’ve covered all your initial questions. If there’s anything else we can help with you have only to ask. :hug:

2. 00 capsules hold just under 1 ml of oil. You’ll see they have a line at the top of the bottom piece that shows you the full point. Be sure they lock together and keep them stored in the fridge to limit leakage. Left out they will seep a bit.

3. You want capsules rated to hold oils. I buy gelatin ones myself. We have a dedicated suppository thread that will more clearly show you this information.

I think we’ve covered all your initial questions. If there’s anything else we can help with you have only to ask. :hug:
If someone has a higher tolerance to oils and flower but wanted to see if capsules, tincure or edibles was a better way to dose....what would you say to start with mgs per day?

Thank you so much for the information. It's really helpful. I hope you keep living a wonderful life ahead. Had one little question about the bowel obstruction. What can be possibly done to give doses rectally of someone has strict bowel obstruction?

Thank you so much for the information. It's really helpful. I hope you keep living a wonderful life ahead. Had one little question about the bowel obstruction. What can be possibly done to give doses rectally of someone has strict bowel obstruction?

The cannabis oil suppositories will likely cause the obstruction to loosen up some, if it’s organic material clogging the pipes. We use suppositories to both clear constipation and stop diarrhea. Cannabinoids signal the response the body needs, unlike pharmaceutical medicines.

This is me winging it without medical training past the need to be Dr. Mom to my family and all the studying I do to be able to offer useful and true answers to member questions, but IMHO, you’ll only be inserting just inside the sphincter muscle, so unless the obstruction is right at the doorway it shouldn’t be a concern for dosing.

If someone has a higher tolerance to oils and flower but wanted to see if capsules, tincure or edibles was a better way to dose....what would you say to start with mgs per day?

Oops! Missed you in the rush of posts BB. :hug:

It would depend on what modality you chose, since each has a different level of bioavailability. It would also depend on what your current dose of flower and oil was. A higher tolerance with smoking usually consumes more cannabinoids. Most of the medicine becomes incense.

As I sit here and ponder, it occurs to me that if you knew the range of mg you were now consuming with combustion I’d play it safe and start with, at most, half that dose through the gut.

Keep in mind I’m talking the mg dose you think you’re getting when you smoke, that part that isn’t floating away on a breeze. You can figure 100-150 mg per joint, and with an edible I wouldn’t start with more than 25 mg of THC - for someone with a high tolerance, mind you.

The classic dose used in clinical work is that 10mg load, but most of the reasoning behind that is you don’t want psychoactivity. If you’re not predisposed against feeling better you can play with higher THC volumes. Find your social-obligation sweet spot and work from there to fine tune for relief.

I can handle a 50-75 mg dose through the gut like I was breathing pure air. I’d never consider starting anyone that far up the scale. It comes down to
  • How tolerant are you of THC’s euphoria?
  • What social obligations restrict euphoric levels?
  • What level of relief are you needing, and how soon will you need that relief to arrive?

The protocol is always to start sub-therapeutically, and very slowly and thoughtfully increase the dose until you hit the minimum effective dose for you. I’d think 15-25 mg of THC would be a good place for you to begin.

Oops! Missed you in the rush of posts BB. :hug:

It would depend on what modality you chose, since each has a different level of bioavailability. It would also depend on what your current dose of flower and oil was. A higher tolerance with smoking usually consumes more cannabinoids. Most of the medicine becomes incense.

As I sit here and ponder, it occurs to me that if you knew the range of mg you were now consuming with combustion I’d play it safe and start with, at most, half that dose through the gut.

Keep in mind I’m talking the mg dose you think you’re getting when you smoke, that part that isn’t floating away on a breeze. You can figure 100-150 mg per joint, and with an edible I wouldn’t start with more than 25 mg of THC - for someone with a high tolerance, mind you.

The classic dose used in clinical work is that 10mg load, but most of the reasoning behind that is you don’t want psychoactivity. If you’re not predisposed against feeling better you can play with higher THC volumes. Find your social-obligation sweet spot and work from there to fine tune for relief.

I can handle a 50-75 mg dose through the gut like I was breathing pure air. I’d never consider starting anyone that far up the scale. It comes down to
  • How tolerant are you of THC’s euphoria?
  • What social obligations restrict euphoric levels?
  • What level of relief are you needing, and how soon will you need that relief to arrive?

The protocol is always to start sub-therapeutically, and very slowly and thoughtfully increase the dose until you hit the minimum effective dose for you. I’d think 15-25 mg of THC would be a good place for you to begin.
Life can be hectic at times....it is all good. My problem is that I have been smoking very heavy for over 25+ years. While I do take my tolerance breaks here and there, my lungs just don't allow the amount I use to smoke. Now I have went down the making butter and different concetrates but it does not seem as those methods are for me. I am a medical card holder and an active grower as well. All grown plants are for medicinal use for mostly me but now my wife can see the benefits....she is now dosing as well. I smoke on average about 5-7 grams a day throughout the period of the day. A good .5 grams per joint on average. When I try different edibles and don't get any kind of benefit from it.....is it because I need a continous dose or maybe the dose was just not high enough? I am trying to go down the capsule road as well because like I said...my lungs just dont allow it anymore. Also........the most useful way for me would be to help me stay asleep. I can fall asleep easily....staying asleep is a different ballgame. Sorry for jumping all over the map. Just giving a basic background for the question at hand. Thanks a million as well.

Life can be hectic at times....it is all good. My problem is that I have been smoking very heavy for over 25+ years. While I do take my tolerance breaks here and there, my lungs just don't allow the amount I use to smoke. Now I have went down the making butter and different concetrates but it does not seem as those methods are for me. I am a medical card holder and an active grower as well. All grown plants are for medicinal use for mostly me but now my wife can see the benefits....she is now dosing as well. I smoke on average about 5-7 grams a day throughout the period of the day. A good .5 grams per joint on average. When I try different edibles and don't get any kind of benefit from it.....is it because I need a continous dose or maybe the dose was just not high enough? I am trying to go down the capsule road as well because like I said...my lungs just dont allow it anymore. Also........the most useful way for me would be to help me stay asleep. I can fall asleep easily....staying asleep is a different ballgame. Sorry for jumping all over the map. Just giving a basic background for the question at hand. Thanks a million as well.

Capsules will definitely cut back in your consumption levels. I was surprised at the 5-7 gram totals. :laughtwo:

OK....can you share why edibles haven’t worked for you? A good part of edible bioavailability is tied to the health of the gut, and there’s also a genetic condition that makes some consumers slow absorbers, which can be incredibly frustrating if it happens to you.

I’d like to suggest Dust. It’s simply decarbed and finely-ground buds, but it’s showing great promise where other approaches weren’t working. We’ve been working on getting dosing under control and right now my own dose is a mere 0.2 gr dose, which works out to about 1/8 tsp.

Beyond that I’d suggest trying a dosing schedule that offers a more consistent level across the day. Whatever the daily dose is, try splitting it up into 3-4 or 5 doses instead.

Also, if you’re treating chronic pain it seems that most patients find the greatest relief with a balance of THC and CBD. You might want to try working out a 1:1 that suits you.

We’ll find your method and dose. It’s what we do here. :hug:

Gentlemen, ...... thank you Bob. :hug:

@Vishwas007, so sorry to hear about your father. In cases of cancer we usually recommend a 2:1 mix with twice as much THC as CBD, and if you have that available I’d try it.

That's not at all to suggest the CBD isn’t worth it. CBD has its own amazing potential, it just works better when combined with some THC.

As to the suppositories, we use 00 capsules all the time. You can also use small syringes or disposable pipettes (I use 3ml size). The syringes can be useful for advance loading, because they usually come with caps to prevent leakage, but those pipettes work real well in a pinch.

I don’t try for more than a 2.5 ml dose when using the anal route. You’re correct to think a 4 ml dose would be unmanageable. We usually suggest you break the daily dose up into 4-5 individual doses, spaced across the day. That way the body gets a steady stream of useful cannabinoids going, and that keeps constant pressure on the tumor cells.

We have a dedicated thread for treating cancer with cannabis. You’ll find more information over there.

A Base Treatment Regimen For Cancer

Tell your dad we think he’s blessed to have children who care this much. :circle-of-love:
Hi there. May I ask. Os the daily dose 2.5 ml or each of the daily 5 doses 2.5ml each? Sorry of I'm asking this in the wrong place, I'm new here

Back
Top Bottom