Having trouble getting clones to root maybe some advice will help

Added a space heater and heat mat and new tray and rockwool as opposed to jiffy pellets. So hopefully i can get roots!! Took 7 new cuts today

Sent from my SM-J320P using 420

I'm a virgin at this cloning thing also. I'm on my second grow and have been trying to clone from the start of this one. I had no success with an auto-cloner, where it sprays the bottom with water. I just got rot, so I switched to trying in soil then coco. I've had better success so far using both soil and the coco. If everything roots successful I'm going to have a lot of plants. Starting out you just keep trying and I may have tried to hard!

I'm a virgin at this cloning thing also. I'm on my second grow and have been trying to clone from the start of this one. I had no success with an auto-cloner, where it sprays the bottom with water. I just got rot, so I switched to trying in soil then coco. I've had better success so far using both soil and the coco. If everything roots successful I'm going to have a lot of plants. Starting out you just keep trying and I may have tried to hard!
Good morning @Demonrage75 hope you are well today.
That post was from 2016, top left corner.
They aren't going to answer you I'm afraid.
If you want a quick easy method of cloning check my tutorial thread.
Gorilla Glue clone thread.

Everything you need for cloning and potting your ladies. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

I had no success with an auto-cloner, where it sprays the bottom with water. I just got rot, so I switched to trying in soil then coco. I've had better success so far using both soil and the coco.
Yes it is an older thread but every thread is still on the message board somewhere and some of them can have good & helpful tips.

Anyway. I noticed the same sort of problem with a water-spray style of cloner. It could be that the water temperature is to hot or to cool. To measure the water temperatures buy one or two of those $2 old fashioned glass tube thermometers used for tropical fish aquariums. They tend to be more accurate than the inexpensive $12 to $15 digital thermometers sold for indoor growing. One of our active members, I believe it was @013, who had to keep taking digital thermometers back to the store until he found one that was close to the actual room temp.

I did buy a special timer for my clone bucket. It would turn the spray on for about 15 seconds and turn it off for 3 or 4 minutes and then back on for 15 seconds and continued that schedule. It did result in more cuttings starting to develop roots than just leaving the spray on continuously.

Like you, I have had better success using soil for getting the Marijuana cuttings to root. The clone-bucket gets a workout every now and then when I want to play around with rooting some cuttings taken off of my Geranium plants which I have because they are easy and will help deter some pest insects from the patio and the weed plants.

Yes it is an older thread but every thread is still on the message board somewhere and some of them can have good & helpful tips.

Anyway. I noticed the same sort of problem with a water-spray style of cloner. It could be that the water temperature is to hot or to cool. To measure the water temperatures buy one or two of those $2 old fashioned glass tube thermometers used for tropical fish aquariums. They tend to be more accurate than the inexpensive $12 to $15 digital thermometers sold for indoor growing. One of our active members, I believe it was @013, who had to keep taking digital thermometers back to the store until he found one that was close to the actual room temp.

I did buy a special timer for my clone bucket. It would turn the spray on for about 15 seconds and turn it off for 3 or 4 minutes and then back on for 15 seconds and continued that schedule. It did result in more cuttings starting to develop roots than just leaving the spray on continuously.

Like you, I have had better success using soil for getting the Marijuana cuttings to root. The clone-bucket gets a workout every now and then when I want to play around with rooting some cuttings taken off of my Geranium plants which I have because they are easy and will help deter some pest insects from the patio and the weed plants.
I agree Smoke, just thought I'd give him a heads up why they didn't answer.

Stay safe
Bill

I appreciate any help I can get!! Thanks
There are many different sub-forums or child-forums on this message board . You can poke around in many of them and find threads about how to clone. Lot of different ways of doing it.

What works for one person does not mean it will work for the next. It could be just about anything; for example it might be a great humidity in one person's house that promotes rooting and even though we match their humidity in our grow room there is something off and we have less than optimal success.

domes are for clones, not for seedlings -seedlings already have roots… domes keep relative humidity high so a cutting has a chance to develop roots before it dries out. Clones in soil or coco need a dome but if you are cloning in a cup of water or water & perlite then a dome is not needed.

perfect trifecta or growing weeds are….great genetics, great light & great environment…. see VPD chart for dialing in your environment…. note color chart in top right corner to match the plant stage of plant growth…. seedlings, veg & flower etc

other week I snipped some clones and they never would root for me. major facepalm when I realized I had left the clones in the flower room fighting to stay alive against the dehumidifier sucking moisture out of the space… instead of putting them in the tent where the rh is 80, they were in the flower room at rh 35…. yeah no wonder they couldn’t / wouldn’t take root….

ziplock baggie will work as a dome, but if you do use a dome or baggie be sure to remove it, your clones need a few minutes of fresh air exchange each day… typically I find it’s best to spray mist inside baggie or dome as opposed to misting the plant

welcome aboard demonrage75…….

1640717233933.jpeg

domes are for clones, not for seedlings -seedlings already have roots… domes keep relative humidity high so a cutting has a chance to develop roots before it dries out. Clones in soil or coco need a dome but if you are cloning in a cup of water or water & perlite then a dome is not needed.

perfect trifecta or growing weeds are….great genetics, great light & great environment…. see VPD chart for dialing in your environment…. note color chart in top right corner to match the plant stage of plant growth…. seedlings, veg & flower etc

other week I snipped some clones and they never would root for me. major facepalm when I realized I had left the clones in the flower room fighting to stay alive against the dehumidifier sucking moisture out of the space… instead of putting them in the tent where the rh is 80, they were in the flower room at rh 35…. yeah no wonder they couldn’t / wouldn’t take root….

ziplock baggie will work as a dome, but if you do use a dome or baggie be sure to remove it, your clones need a few minutes of fresh air exchange each day… typically I find it’s best to spray mist inside baggie or dome as opposed to misting the plant

welcome aboard demonrage75…….

1640717233933.jpeg
Thanks for all of the great info. I seem to be getting the hang of it. I've had good success using soil or coco, maybe too much success. Lol

By far the easiest and fastest way to root your clones, is with a tub, an airstone and some netpots. See my cloner journal for a rough idea. Roots in 2 weeks without rooting hormone, in 10 days with. 98% success rate .. the 2% is user error.

I found all other ways take longer for me, up to 3 weeks sometimes.

This post is like Frankenstein, hehe it's come alive.
5 years it sat there before it was resurrected.
Anyone looking for cloneing advice check this thread.
Easy fool proof clones in 10 days or less every time.
Gorilla Glue clone thread in my sig.
G.G. Clone Topped Before 10 Days Old
Everything for cloning to potting to air pot use.:circle-of-love:
Great info for new growers.

Stay safe everyone
Bill

haha, only just noticed the original date .. I do check last posts nowadays, but need to check further back it seems :p
No worries some have relivent info that we can use.
Happens all the time.

Stay safe
Bill

haha, only just noticed the original date .. I do check last posts nowadays, but need to check further back it seems :p
I have started to check the first date before going any further with a thread I am not familiar with. The I jump to the last one and backtrack.

One thing about starting in soil instead of water is that the roots are already used to growing in soil. Take the cutting, stick in soil, two weeks later the roots have started and another 2 weeks the tops are showing new leaves and have added a node or two. Four weeks total and already rooted and ready for a transplant but being able to skip that first transplant at the two week to three week mark.

Find out what works for you and then work with it enough to get it as close to 100% as possible. "maybe too much success" when it comes to taking cuttings and getting them to grow roots is a good thing.;)
With limited space you can’t have too many plants. I had about 75% success using either soil or coco but added up to almost 30 clones. With only enough room for 6 medium sized plants, 20 something clones may be too successful. I just have to adapt and do a sog grow in a couple areas, my first attempt, and have my regular 6 plants, which I scrog. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom