Heating pad for solo cup

I run theae between 17-20 degrees in the winter months and they do pretty good

Attachments

• 20200123_074633.jpg
    20200123_074633.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Anybody can tell me if it's OK to water by weight on solo cup, if so, how many grams of water should I add each watering? And how much should I let it dry?

Hey @fatbuds420 , please be careful with that heating mat - it's better to run a bit cooler than to run too hot.

As for watering in soil with solo cups - here are some tips.

1) Establish your dry weight - the point at which you need to water:

IMG_20200125_163242.png

2) For a newborn seedling, it is safer to water with only 30 ml (1oz) of water (no nutes & pH of 6.50) down the middle to help drive the primary tap root to the bottom of the cup. For newborns, we can also alternate between watering the middle and watering the edges of the cup. For a 1 week old seedling, we can water slowly & gently, with about 90 ml (3 oz) water only (no nutes & pH of 6.50), or until we see run-off dripping out the bottom. Remember, we want the soil to be moist, not soaking wet.

IMG_20200125_163718.jpg

3) Spritz lightly with water every 12 hours for the next 24 hours - use a humidity dome if you want:

4) Weigh again after 24 hours:

IMG_20200126_232052.png

5) Here's where a lot of people can get into trouble! Most of the water is now pooled at the bottom of the solo cup. We need the plant to drink that water over the next 24 hours. So, use a shot glass and slowly water the edges of the soil with 30 ml (1 oz) of water. Then walk away!

6) Spritz lightly with water every 12 hours for the next 24 hours - use a humidity dome if you want:

7) Somewhere between 12 hours and 24 hours later, we should be ready to water again:

IMG_20200128_124319.png

7) In summary, for soil in a solo cup, we can see there is approximately a 2 day wet/dry cycle for soil.

Thanks for keeping us updated - and don't get discouraged.

420 Magazine is the best place on the planet to come for growing advice and daily support when needed!

Hey @fatbuds420 , please be careful with that heating mat - it's better to run a bit cooler than to run too hot.

As for watering in soil with solo cups - here are some tips.

1) Establish your dry weight - the point at which you need to water:

IMG_20200125_163242.png

2) Water gently, with water only (no nutes), at a pH of 6.50 until we see run-off dripping out the bottom:

IMG_20200125_163718.jpg

3) Spritz lightly with water every 12 hours for the next 24 hours - use a humidity dome if you want:

4) Weigh again after 24 hours:

IMG_20200126_232052.png

5) Here's where a lot of people can get into trouble! Most of the water is now pooled at the bottom of the solo cup. We need the plant to drink that water over the next 24 hours. So, use a shot glass and slowly water the edges of the soil with 30 ml (1 oz) of water. Then walk away!

6) Spritz lightly with water every 12 hours for the next 24 hours - use a humidity dome if you want:

7) Somewhere between 12 hours and 24 hours later, we should be ready to water again:

IMG_20200128_124319.png

7) In summary, for soil in a solo cup, we can see there is approximately a 2 day wet/dry cycle for soil.

Thanks for keeping us updated - and don't get discouraged.

420 Magazine is the best place on the planet to come for growing advice and daily support when needed!
hey man, my cup would stay wet for a month if i saturated it.... i guess it's the humidity, but it would defently kill me seedling, i tried it

hey man, my cup would stay wet for a month if i saturated it.... i guess it's the humidity, but it would defently kill me seedling, i tried it

That's unfortunate. Are you adding perlite to your soil to help with aeration and drainage?

Most issues with overwatering have to do with lack of oxygen - in your case, I would suggest just watering the solo cup with 30 ml (1 oz )of water at a time then. Alternate between the edges and the middle of the cup.

Are you back on track now? Or do you still have questions?

That's unfortunate. Are you adding perlite to your soil to help with aeration and drainage?

Most issues with overwatering have to do with lack of oxygen - in your case, I would suggest just watering the solo cup with 30 ml (1 oz )of water at a time then. Alternate between the edges and the middle of the cup.

Are you back on track now? Or do you still have questions?
30ml seems good, thanks, so let's say, 70g, water to 100, and water again at 75? seem good?

30ml seems good, thanks, so let's say, 70g, water to 100, and water again at 75? seem good?

I'm a bit rougher on my seedlings because I like to cull out the weak ones; but based on your experience, and some of my past experiences, I've come up with this, because for the most part we are looking for moist, not soaking wet:

2) For a newborn seedling, it is safer to water with only 30 ml (1oz) of water (no nutes & pH of 6.50) down the middle to help drive the primary tap root to the bottom of the cup. For newborns, we can also alternate between watering the middle and watering the edges of the cup. For a 1 week old seedling, we can water slowly & gently, with about 90 ml (3 oz) water only (no nutes & pH of 6.50), or until we see run-off dripping out the bottom. Remember, we want the soil to be moist, not soaking wet.

And just an FYI - I think @beez0404 is using hempy perlite to germinate his seedlings - it sounds promising.

There are lots of options, and we want to find one that fits our individual growing style.

Thanks for making me rethink my answer to a more detailed one :)

Hey @Emilya , knock knock - sorry to interrupt if you are busy, but I know you are the soil watering guru here.

Does this post (located above) meet with your approval, or should we add something?

Originally, the post is based on a question about watering seedlings in soil using weight instead of feel.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom