Help: 3 week plant small, thin and yellow

Javier

420 Member
Hello guys, this is my first post here, I would really appreciate your help and advice for this.
So she just made 3 weeks from seed, I see her very thin and small for having 3 weeks, and also the 2 bottom leaves look very yellowish, what do you think?
Also, I added some extra Soil, because she was very tall and unstable, she almost fell by itself.

PD: I had other 2 smaller ones that died at 1 week, they fell because they were attacked by some kind of fungus due to using recycled soil (at least thats what i read). I hope this one will not have the same bad luck.
Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 15922370435068540111299923819903.jpg
    15922370435068540111299923819903.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
I use recycled soil all the time without issue.

Could be over watering and/or soggy soil due to not enough aeration.

I'm looking at your soil and I dont see any aeration. Like when you see soil with little white dots or rocks - that's per-lite and is a requirement (aeration of some sort) for soil.

Without the aeration portion your soil compacts and the roots struggle to get air - why its call aeration. What happens with small plants like that is the roots get too wet and the problem is called "dampening off".

Whats in your soil mix?

It cannot be overwater, I water it between 250 and 500 ml every 3 days with a little of natural root stimulator made of germinated lentil seeds.
The soil looks without aeration because i just put it there because the plant almost fell by its weight (it was too tall and thin).
But i think soils pretty decent.
I read somewhere that it may be lack of nitrogen, where can i get some without buying chemicals?

Yeah I'd agree with @bobrown14, soil seems a bit muddy & lack of aeration material like perlite makes the soil hold water longer. I'm a pro at over watering lol Watering a specific amount at a specific time is not the best way to water marijuana, this article helped me tremendously!

Even before looking into nutrients I'd ask...

1. What kind of light are you using? Tall and thin means light is too far or not strong enough.
2. What is your waters PH levels?

It cannot be overwater, I water it between 250 and 500 ml every 3 days with a little of natural root stimulator made of germinated lentil seeds.
The soil looks without aeration because i just put it there because the plant almost fell by its weight (it was too tall and thin).
But i think soils pretty decent.
I read somewhere that it may be lack of nitrogen, where can i get some without buying chemicals?

If you look at your seedling its still got intact Cotyledons. Those first set of leaves with a roundish end are the cotyledons.

Those leaves provide the seedling with enough nutrients to get the roots growing.
So they are still intact and green they are still doing their job the plant will not need anything at this point.

All the plant needs right now is WATER only. Do not use a root stimulator yet its not needed and likely where your problem lies. With you root stimulator check the pH of that water BEFORE watering in... likely you will see an out of range pH. This is a bad time to have that when your plant is trying to develop roots. The root stimulator is in those cotyledon leaves.

Not going to be a Nitrogen issue the plant is too small for that. WAY too small. Has to have roots first. All you need to do is water only for like 2 weeks or longer with a proper soil mix.

Since you didn't answer the question "whats in your soi", I'll ASSume your soil mix is properly balanced with the correct ratios of aeration and humus.

Oh, I was wondering if those "cotyledons" would eventually fall, because they're starting to get yellow, so I dont have to worry about those, right?
In the soil bag didn't write any relevant info, it said it was a mix with "all nutrients that a plant needs" .
I think it said it had a pH between 6 and 6.5.
So what I do? Buy another soil and mix it with this one? Because i dont think transplanting it again now will be good...
What do i do? Should i water it more? (I water it half a glass (25 ~ 50 mL every 3 days, i make sure it doesn't dry 100% and with a little stick i stir the soil around every 12h so it doesn't get to stiff)

Oh, I was wondering if those "cotyledons" would eventually fall, because they're starting to get yellow, so I dont have to worry about those, right?
In the soil bag didn't write any relevant info, it said it was a mix with "all nutrients that a plant needs" .
I think it said it had a pH between 6 and 6.5.
So what I do? Buy another soil and mix it with this one? Because i dont think transplanting it again now will be good...
What do i do? Should i water it more? (I water it half a glass (25 ~ 50 mL every 3 days, i make sure it doesn't dry 100% and with a little stick i stir the soil around every 12h so it doesn't get to stiff)
So what i have to dl exactly?

Your cotyledons are your canaries in the coal mine, warning you when there are problems that are eventually going to take down the plant.
You say it cant be overwatering, but yet based on your description, it is exactly that. The problem is not pH at this young age, because all your plant really needs is nitrogen, and it is available across a very large pH range... I doubt you are outside of it.

Here is the truth... you can not overwater your plant by putting too much water in the soil in one setting. I don't care if you put an entire 5 gallon bucket of water through there, the soil can only hold so much and no more or it simply runs out of the bottom. It is impossible to over water a plant by giving too much water in one setting... you can only overwater these weeds by watering too often.

Not only that, but you are breaking up any roots that might form with your stick, causing their formation to have to start all over again each time, so you have wiped out your top set of spreader roots. Then you are actively trying not to let the soil dry out, when in actuality, that is exactly what you need to do. (look up shooting oneself in ones own foot)

Learn the lift method so you can properly determine the right time to water. As your roots get stronger, that time between waterings diminishes between each watering, and if you are watering on a schedule, you are not doing it right. If you can lift up your container and feel ANY water weight as compared to a similar container filled with dry soil, it is NOT time to water. These weeds need to dry out all the way to the bottom between each watering, or they do what your plants are doing, they stall out, the bottom leaves yellow and fall off, and eventually the plant dies.

When the soil finally dries out all the way to the bottom, you should then water it with gusto... throw your measuring cup away and water that soil as if it were a sponge that you were trying to fill up with that water, all the way to the top, and any extra water would simply fall out of the bottom. This is the proper way to water a potted plant.

Lastly, the soil pH is not what you need to be concerned with, it sounds like it has been properly adjusted to the upper end of the soil pH range. All you need to do once you start giving nutes, is to make sure that every fluid that hits your soil was first adjusted to 6.3 pH. It is all automatic from there... you do NOT have to measure or adjust your soil pH.

Okay, Im not watering anymore until I see difference in weight as you said, so it's dried to the bottom. I'll post when I have news. Thanks guys.

I didnt say a difference in weight... I said no water weight as compared to a dry container. Many people come back to me later saying the method doesn't work, when they just waited to be able to feel a difference in weight. It really is super important to get this right. It is way better to go so far as to let the plant start wilting, than it is to water too often and drown the roots.
:welcome:
I forgot to do this when I first responded too... but welcome to the forum @Javier ! Glad you found us! Now lets save this plant!

Hi again guys, it's been 2 days since I posted, I did not water yet, because I feel some weight difference from another full dry pot (and also in the bottom I see humidity).
Thing is those "cotyledons" are turning even yellower (almost brown without color) and I think they're going to fall, is this bad?
Also, how does it look for having 22 days?

Attachments

• 20200617_130456.jpg
    20200617_130456.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 84
Hi again guys, it's been 2 days since I posted, I did not water yet, because I feel some weight difference from another full dry pot (and also in the bottom I see humidity).
Thing is those "cotyledons" are turning even yellower (almost brown without color) and I think they're going to fall, is this bad?
Also, how does it look for having 22 days?
all this damage is signs of the damage you have caused with improper waterings. Your lower roots are damaged, and it is going to take 2 or 3 wet/dry cycles to get the roots back on the road to recovery. The result of this can definitely be seen in the slow development of your plants. Your 22 day old plants look like a 10 day old plant at my house... seriously. Keep doing what you are doing now, and it will recover and start growing quickly again. All you have lost is time. The plant will forgive you.

Hello guys, my plant just made 1 month today, and she is doing pretty fine.
Added some extra soil (the best one I could find out there), and just wanted to thank you guys for the advices.
Here she is:

Attachments

• 15931637184628152679264385315334.jpg
    15931637184628152679264385315334.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Hello again guys, I have another problem now.
Plant is vigorously growing but at nights leaves are kind of bending down, today at 20:00, soil was very very dry, and leaves were very bended down too, at first I thought it was just they were thirsty, so i watered just like I used to, but nothing changed.
She receives like 8h of direct sunlight and another 8h of sky sunlight.
I water with river water, could this be the problem?

Attachments

• 1593803549396942965626722606453.jpg
    1593803549396942965626722606453.jpg
    893.7 KB · Views: 75
I read somewhere it could be wind's fault, these days were very windy, specially today, could it be that? And what is the solution for that (could my plant die for too srtong wind?)

Back
Top Bottom